• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]A Review of Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Introduction

Hello readers, today we're looking at an audio community favorite: Audio Technica's ATH-AD700. For quite some time, this headphone represented an incredible value, and is noteworthy for the respect it commands in audiophile/gaming circles. Let's take a look and see what I think about this product!

Product Description

There are several ways that a headphone might be designed, but there are a couple of ways to generalize headphones: whether they are open, and what type of chassis and ear contact the headphones make. The ATH-AD700 is a dynamic open ... Return to Article

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review, I've been looking to buy these and get a Zalman clip-on mic.

Nice to see there's already two reviews on this site for these cans already.

Yeah, Im still undecided of which way I will ultimately go, but this review helps.

My biggest issue is the look, and the fact I already have a gaming headset that is said to have a plenty adequate soundstage. Being that the AD700's main selling point is ss, I'm not sure it would be a huge upgrade. Because what my headset lacks, is bass, and these are likely not going to be a huge step forward.

I don't want huge bass at all, but competent bass. If something explodes in COD, I want to experience that. Whereas with my headset, it has no depth, and sounds "glassy".

But back to the look, I happen to dislike the pairing of gold and purple a whole lot. I just don't understand how you come to that conclusion when designing those things. I have no issue owning something perfectly ugly, if it's performance is a reason to own it. But these this would annoy me.

It is these, or the Shure SRH440.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I didn't define the bass well enough. You HEAR a thump, but you don't feel a thump. That may seem plain but it is simply the best way to describe the bass output on the ATH-AD700.

The sound stage will beat anything else out there, especially gaming headsets. The mids will be better than almost anything you've ever heard, and the highs are well balanced.

I'm sure it would be an upgrade, because the headset I have is said to have no bass whatsoever, in a review that actually compared the AD700 to them.

I just hate buying things like this on the i-net. It's like clothes, never works out well for me.

Everything I like about the Shure SRH440, is what I dislike about these. The looks, portability...Im totally lost. Now I am looking at the AD900, because of the look. I mean those things look great. But $300...

I'm sure it would be an upgrade, because the headset I have is said to have no bass whatsoever, in a review that actually compared the AD700 to them.

I just hate buying things like this on the i-net. It's like clothes, never works out well for me.

Everything I like about the Shure SRH440, is what I dislike about these. The looks, portability...Im totally lost. Now I am looking at the AD900, because of the look. I mean those things look great. But $300...

I've read they have less sound stage than the ATH-AD700, but make up for it with more sound. I am not sure I'd be willing to trade away one of the hugest selling points of the headphone.

And pardon me for spilling head-fi jargon on our precious forums, but:

Sound First! :rock:

Ah, been waiting a while for this review, well done.

I might have found something that can outpreform them for about 2/3rds of the price, though. I really need to look into it, but at the very least they are crazy close to the AD700s as far as SQ goes.

The AD700s are still fantastic though. I use mine every day, which can't be said of my MS1s.

The JVC's?

I had a chance to hear the AD700, AD900, AD2000, and the Shure SRH 440/840 yesterday. For the price, the AD700 is phenomenal. The AD900 is slightly better, deeper bass. I really dont know what to think about the AD2000. At $500, I feel they should be at least $100 less. Not enough there to justify going with them over the AD900 that can be found for $250.

Clear winner for me is the AD900 because of the more competent lows. Everything the AD700 is for gaming, but in my mind, the true jack of all trades because of the richer bass. By no means a bass head HP, but plenty competent. Great all around HP. On an amp they sound like they could be pushed far. Just what I was looking for.

But then I tried the SRH840, and decided to ultimately go with those due to price, which I found for $140. At that price, they are a steal.

They are decidedly more lively than the SRH440, which is more neutral. And definitely more lively than the AD700/900. Bass is very competent, really pleasing once amped, but not overwhelming at all. Sound/head stage is really pretty amazing for a closed HP. Plenty adequate for gaming, and the rich bass doesn't overwhelm that. Comfort is adequate, but not as good the the Audio Technica's. There might be some fatigue after 3-4 hours due to clamping if you have a big head. But overall the cups/pads themselves are just great. A kind of memory foam feeling.

Very solid feeling. The band can be bent all manner of ways. Great build quality.

Given that I live in the area where Shure is located so RMA is never an issue, 2-yr warranty, the detachable/replaceable cord and cups, portability, I went with the Shure's. Very happy.

Last edited:
Ah, been waiting a while for this review, well done.

I might have found something that can outpreform them for about 2/3rds of the price, though. I really need to look into it, but at the very least they are crazy close to the AD700s as far as SQ goes.

The AD700s are still fantastic though. I use mine every day, which can't be said of my MS1s.

Do tell.

Possibly those G2As I picked up. The only thing about them is they are picky about source and amplification. Out of my Nuforce, they sound way too bright, but from my fuze and a fiio E5 they sound stellar. I got a fiio E3 with them and I want to try and fix it, since it happens to work well with the G2As. I think either something on the board is loose or there is a break internally, either way I have to bend the PCB to get it to work.

At the very least, the combo of the G2A and E5 preforms right with the AD700. In fact, from what comparisons I've already done I can say that they outperform the AD700 with electronic music. The G2As just have this extra level of detail near the upper mids that makes synths sound delicious, the AD700s can't match it with or without the E5.

I need to fix my portapros, get KSC 75s, and fix this E3 before I can do a proper review though. Heck I might just go ahead and buy another E3, they are only 8$....

Possibly those G2As I picked up. The only thing about them is they are picky about source and amplification. Out of my Nuforce, they sound way too bright, but from my fuze and a fiio E5 they sound stellar. I got a fiio E3 with them and I want to try and fix it, since it happens to work well with the G2As. I think either something on the board is loose or there is a break internally, either way I have to bend the PCB to get it to work.

At the very least, the combo of the G2A and E5 preforms right with the AD700. In fact, from what comparisons I've already done I can say that they outperform the AD700 with electronic music. The G2As just have this extra level of detail near the upper mids that makes synths sound delicious, the AD700s can't match it with or without the E5.

I need to fix my portapros, get KSC 75s, and fix this E3 before I can do a proper review though. Heck I might just go ahead and buy another E3, they are only 8$....

Problem is, that doesn't meet the description of 1/3 the price. Normally at 85$, the G2a's are 50$. And I don't trust fiio products... they don't make enough positive impact to be worth anything as far as I can see. Noise increase on a FiiO E5 is too much to be worth the negligible gain it might ever offer.

Yeah that's what I thought back when I bought the E5, but I think they do get along well with the G2As. The thing about the E3 is, you get one free with the G2As.

Everybody loves free stuff.

Oh, and I said 2/3rds of the price, not 1/3.

Yeah that's what I thought back when I bought the E5, but I think they do get along well with the G2As. The thing about the E3 is, you get one free with the G2As.

Everybody loves free stuff.

Oh, and I said 2/3rds of the price, not 1/3.

So true. Working off of memory... :bang head

But if that is the case, my KSC75's might improve with the E5. I'll test this out tomorrow.

So true. Working off of memory... :bang head

But if that is the case, my KSC75's might improve with the E5. I'll test this out tomorrow.

Did some more listening last night, I'd say that dynamics aside the best thing the G2As get from the E5 is the bass boost. Without it the G2As are more bass anemic than the AD700s, but with it everything evens out nicely. I didn't notice any noise issues from the amp, I'll keep an ear out for those today.

The G2As definitely sound different than the KSC 75s/portapros, at least from my memory. I distinctly remember them having gobs of bass, and that's definitely not the case here.

Hey you think we should stop posting this here? Seems like the wrong place to do it.

Back