• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Prescott help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qri0

Hello all,

Sorry for posting twice.. something must have screwed up.

I am in the making of a new computer and I am choosing the 3.0GHZ Prescott, I have a friend that said he would OC as high as he could for me.. but I am having trouble finding a proper heatsink for it. I have heard stories of people getting Prescotts to 4.9GHZ(or more?) but never said anything about a heatsink and this would have to be insanely hot to run, any suggestions would be great.

Going to be using (if anyone asks)

SUPERMICRO 875P Chipset Motherboard

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading (hoping to OC all to hell)

ASUS ATI RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR

OCZ Performance Series Dual Channel 184 Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-4400

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive x2

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card

Thermaltake Silent PurePower 560W Power Supply

Last edited:
i am def not familiar with that particular board but mayb you should upgrade to an asus board Asus P4C800-E Deluxe preferrably....the best air cooling right now is thermalright SP-94 w/ vantec tornado for intel....

I dont think a prescott can run a 4.9 ghz unless you have some major cooling. You will probably have to use a prom2 to cool it. It also depends on whether you chip can reach that high of FSB. From what i've read on the board, prescott has a heat problem, which will limit your overclocking ability.

yea if anything is at 4.9 its def using some kind of phase change methinks.

and um yea Sophisticated gave some good advice, i would really look at an abit or asus board and the SP 94 is the best air heatsink... but you may want to go water cooling if you are trying to get the highest oc possibly. if you have the money phase change would be even better :)

If you want to get 4.9GHZ out of that chip, you'll have to run it in a vat of liquid nitrogen. The whole machine.

I wouldn't do this though. It will ruin it.

And the vat of liquid nitrogen is even iffy... it becomes a matter of how much current the PSU could possibly put out, as well as how much power the motherboard circuitry could possibly supply, too! I'd think with the current generations of Prescotts, 4.9GHz is wishful thinking on power alone. If they didn't consume so much power, it wouldn't be half as bad...

Back