• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc'd e6600 and 8800GTX powered from 380W PSU - why not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MTBF Links

Hey all,

I've been following this thread mostly through SPCR but saw MColeg's post here via a link and wanted to contribute. I've been toying with the idea of building or modding a small mATX based case and doing some research on PSUs. No overclocking, I'm afraid, just a high end CPU and medium graphics in a small, stable, and quiet package. Funny thing is that even low-power systems will run into the same issues of rails, ripple, reliability, etc. when you start talking about smaller SFX or mini-1u supplies. Anyway, here's some data and links in response to some of MColegs questions:

1. Lifespan numbers for a PSU?

Most PC PSU's are horribly labeled, but the better models at least provide MTBF numbers. I think Seasonic and Enhance are usually rated for 100,000 hours, for example. However, I'm not sure that's what you mean. If you're looking for ratings for specific components that go into generating those MTBF estimates, you'll either need to talk to the manufacturers or perhaps check out the relevant guides. Most industrial/telecom power supplies are rated against either MIL-HDBK-217F or Bellcore, TR-332, Issue 6. You can find a copy of the MIL handbook with the latest change notices at SQC Online (http://www.sqconline.com/download/). They also have an on-line MTBF calculator using a MIL-HDBK-217F model
(http://www.sqconline.com/reliability/index.html)

2. What's ambient?

Computer PSU data is really hard to come by. If you look at the telecom PSU's, even the short-form data sheets provide substantially more information. For example, N2 Power's XL-275 is rated at 200,000 hourse, continuous operation, maximum output loading, worst case input voltage According to Bellcore, TR-332, Issue 6 (http://www.n2power.com/705123 XL275.pdf), and they provide specific data about temperature and deratings. XP Power rates their EMA212 at 400,000 hours MTBF by the MIL-HDBK-217F (http://www.xppower.com/pdfs/SF_EMA212.pdf). They also make particular mention of temperature requirements.

Assuming your typical computer PSU is calculating MTBF using the one of these same two models (probably a safe bet, but who knows?), my guess is that the temperature requirements would refer to air temps inside the PSU, which are going to be a function of the air temperatures drawn into the PSU to cool it. I'm betting they calculated their MTBF estimates assuming that the PSU was functioning in a 25 degree environment, so if your PSU is using 30C air from inside the computer case to cool itself, kiss the MTBF estimate goodbye.

3. MTTF or MTBF?
If you're looking for some general takes on the utility of MTBF or MTTF and what they mean, you might check out the following:

http://www.evaluationengineering.com/archive/articles/1100reliability.htm
http://www.evaluationengineering.com/archive/articles/0500analyz.htm
http://www.reliasoft.com/newsletter/2Q2000/mttf.htm

Six Sigma SPC also provides a nice definition, which I'm posting here
(from http://www.sixsigmaspc.com/dictionary/MTTF-meantimetofailure.html)

"A estimate of the average, or mean time until a design's or component's first failure, (you may not want to include external failures), or disruption in the operation of the product, process, procedure, or design occurs. Mean time until a failure assumes that the product CAN NOT be repaired and the product CAN NOT resume any of it’s normal operations. MTTF is related to items such as expected and/or operating life or other items that in general are not fixed or replacement even though it sometimes may be.

In a lot of design and components, MTTF it is especially near to the MTBF, (Mean Time Between Failures), which typically is a small amount longer than MTTF. This is due to the fact that MTBF includes the repair time of the designs or components. If a design or component works for an extended time, then it fails, is repaired in a reasonable amount of time, and then once again works for an extended time, the MTTF is the average, or mean, of the amount of time that it is in operational condition. The MTBF is the average time between failures to include the average repair time, or MTTR.

MTTR is not the correct tool for all applications, but is a useful measurement of reliability."

As to why MTBF, I'm not sure. The two may not be all that different, and MTBF may simply be the norm for multi-component equipment even though no one really repairs them as you point out.

Sorry I've got no clue as to the current thing.

Anyway, hope this helps and keep up the good work. I think the lengths you've gone to collect data and experiment are absolutely fantastic, and good on you for demanding that others back up their statements with data as well.

Cheers,

Zinj

Already Mentioned/Noted?

Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but has anyone mentioned that many of SeaSonic's power supply data sheets specifically state their MTBF @ load rating? I just went back and looked at my datasheets for the SS-350SE and SS-250su, which both clearly state 100,000 hours at 75%. The data sheets for the full ATX HT, HS, ET, ST, and JT series clearly state 100,000 hours at full load. These are 300-650w PSUs. The retail units are longer on color photos and shorter on info, but it's probably not a huge leap to suspect that those ATX ratings are also at full load. If true, it would appear that Seasonic, at least, isn't too concerned about users going easy on their power supplies.

-Z

Zinj, welcome to the forums :D Thanks for the great information, I bet it will be mind clearing for some of us, specially for mcoleg. On Ambient, basing myself entirely on common sense, I would assume it means the hottest air supply, weather if its from the inside or the outside (although the last one is really unlikely, and if it happens then you must be doing something wrong (or Extreme cooling?)).

Zinj - welcome to the forums :p

thanks for the data. very compact.

there's lot's of inconsistencies though when you look at the actual specs. i've already brought up the difference between ambient temp. for mtbf calculations (25C) and the operating temperature that the power output is rated at (40C). not in itself but the ambient for a psu is the case temp. therefore you can see that the calculations for re-rating curves and mtbf were done separately.

as for in-rush current, Mr Evil from spcr answered it nicely:

"There will be an inrush current from a cold start. From a warm start (i.e. without turning off the switch on the back of the PSU or the switch on the wall) then there will be much less. I would expect any modern PSU with active PFC to also include soft-start circuitry, which will mean a relatively small inrush current."

i do suspect this is the case in any well-made modern psu; it's no secret that psu doesn't switch off if the pc is off; the basic argument for not switching pc to prolong it's component's life just doesn't seem valid anymore...

"100,000 hours at 75%" at what temp? that's the rib... on the other hand, 24/7/356 operation isn't plausible for a consumer pc; even the small number of pc's that operate around the clock hardly work 100% load all the time. numbers even out when you factor that in.

Zinj, please keep in touch on your research; also, if you make some headway, make a thread and post your findings here or on spcr. as of now, this type of research might not be of great interest but it will be increasingly so, mark my word. can't argue with market trends :p

guys, i am sorry for not posting much here - took the discussion over to spcr.

i am planning a different experiment though, i quote:

psu's are killed because of the high temperature, not the loads.

and here's a simple experiment - two psu's of the same model with different power ratings. one is 380w - most people will think twice before using it with my system; second is 500w - practically everyone is in agreement that it's plenty even in a long run.

run loads, measure temperatures with both. if the temperatures are close to each other, 380w is enough for a prolonged use; if they are significantly apart, it's not.

a simple test where we don't have to worry about life expectancy and mtbf. not as simple as i described but it's the gist of it.

Thanks

MColeg, Muhon,

Thanks for the welcome. Mcoleg, since any experiment should start with a null hypothesis, here's one for you: you won't find much of a difference. There's one caveat though, and that's that I assume both power supplies are quality, 80+ units. Since any rise over ambient should be driven by electricity that's lost as heat rather than converted to DC, and since most 80+ supplies vary in a relatively small range across most of their load (say 80-84%), there's not much room for them to differentiate. The only real kicker might be different cooling systems (different fan sizes, placement, temperature curves vs. rpm, or interference with airflow in the PSU).

By the way, I cheated a bit and quickly compared a couple of the Corsair units reviewed by JonnyGuru. Although both are larger (520/620), no real difference. Smaller one actually had a lower rise over ambient. Didn't look at the Silverstone Strider/Zeus models, for which I think there were also 2+ reviewed. Good experimental designs also make use of prior information <grin>.

Z-

i might use heat load to kick in a de-rating curve.

i also will use a six-point graph (at least) so if there's any curvature that's emerging, we'll see it.

the only bad thing about this particular experiment, is that it will hardly support my null hypothesis (i suspect) and as such, it won't be conclusive.

that's why i want to keep things as simple as possible - 2 similar psu's, different power ratings, same loads. heat kill psu's, fire's hot, water's wet, etc, etc. :p

Hi I wonder if you guys could help me, specifically mcoleg and alexhk.

I was about to buy a 1950pro agp card and went looking for PSU recommendations on a forum over in the UK. Someone mentioned the Earthwatts and told me some guy had got it working with a GTX system and it should power my 1950pro no problems. Plus it was in my price range so I went for it.

My system is as follows:
Athlon 64(754) 3000+
Asrock VIA K8M800
2 gig ram
1 80 gig harddrive
1 dvd/rw drive
couple of small neon case fans.

The 1950pro I bought was a sapphire version and uses 2 molex's and not a PCI-E connector.

After getting everything installed I ran 3dmark 05 and got a very poor 7550-7885 score. I was told I should be hitting the 9000-9500 range. The 3d mark website said the score was poor compared to people with similar systems to mine.

People over on the UK forum are questioning whether the earthwatts is up to the job and I'm also questioning this. Its also been mentioned that running the card from 2 molex's and not the PCI-E connector could be a problem also. How does the 12v rails work. Will the two molex's be able to deliver the rated 27A over the dual 12v rails?

So at the end of the day I'm not sure what to do next. I could either sell the card and get a HIS version, which I'm sure uses a PCI-E connector or buy a more powerful PSU and hope that works. I'm tempted to sell the Sapphire and get the HIS version but I'm starting to doubt the earthwatts now.

I'm not sure which option to go for.

Thanks.

Last edited:
guy_with_beard said:
People over on the UK forum are questioning whether the earthwatts is up to the job and I'm also questioning this. Its also been mentioned that running the card from 2 molex's and not the PCI-E connector could be a problem also. How does the 12v rails work. Will the two molex's be able to deliver the rated 27A over the dual 12v rails?

IIRC the earthwatts is actually a single rail design without OCP so there is no worrying about overloading one rail.

Each 4 pin molex connector has 1 wire providing 12v power. I believe the 6 pin PCI-E connector has two 12v wires so using two molex connectors in place of it should not be a problem. I don't think that really maters though because I believe both a single molex and a PCI-E 6 pin are both able to supply the same 75W. For safety sake the PCI-E connectors are used to reduce the current flowing over each 12v wire.

As for actually needing the 27A of 12v power, I think we know that isn't the case.

guy_with_beard said:
After getting everything installed I ran 3dmark 05 and got a very poor 7550-7885 score. I was told I should be hitting the 9000-9500 range. The 3d mark website said the score was poor compared to people with similar systems to mine. ... So at the end of the day I'm not sure what to do next. I could either sell the card and get a HIS version, which I'm sure uses a PCI-E connector or buy a more powerful PSU and hope that works. I'm tempted to sell the Sapphire and get the HIS version but I'm starting to doubt the earthwatts now.

Okay I'm a little confused on how a low 3dmark score is being blamed on a PSU. I believe the only situation where a video card will lower its performance (by staying at 2d clocks correct?) is if it detects that you don't have the additional power connectors plugged in. If you have all the connectors in the video card it is either going to get the power it needs and function properly or it isn't going to get enough power and its going to crash. Unless I missed something there isn't any digital logic that turns off functional units (pixel pipelines, shaders, ect.) if the GPU isn't getting enough power.

I don't play 3dmark very often but I'd start with checking if the sapphire 1950pro offers the same core and memory clocks as the 1950 pros that you are comparing it to. Other minor considerations could be your CPU clockspeed(and memory for that matter), are you comparing apples to apples here? I'd suggest using ATi tool (is that still popular?) and checking your GPU's clocks.

Also as EmAn suggested some drop in performance could be due to the reduced bandwidth available to your video card. I don't really remember the extra bandwidth provided by 16x PCI-E (over AGP 8x) making much of a difference but maybe we've finally hit the point where its mattering a bit. That’s another thing to check, is your motherboard set at something lower than 8x for AGP? Check your bios.

Unless you're having stability issues don't worry about that PSU of yours. As for my EA 380W, after several months it is still doing a great job running the rig in my sig (what I tested it on.) We'll see what the upgrade to quad core does ; )

molex connectors have no problem delivering the needed amps to this card...

it's not 27A to the card, btw.

most likely you are cpu and memory bandwidth (single channel, eh?) limited. in other words, the rest of your system cannot catch up to your vid. card.

is cpu overclocked?

Alexhk said:
IIRC the earthwatts is actually a single rail design without OCP so there is no worrying about overloading one rail.

Each 4 pin molex connector has 1 wire providing 12v power. I believe the 6 pin PCI-E connector has two 12v wires so using two molex connectors in place of it should not be a problem. I don't think that really maters though because I believe both a single molex and a PCI-E 6 pin are both able to supply the same 75W. For safety sake the PCI-E connectors are used to reduce the current flowing over each 12v wire.

Cool thanks for that saves me emailing Antec.

Alexhk said:
Okay I'm a little confused on how a low 3dmark score is being blamed on a PSU. I believe the only situation where a video card will lower its performance (by staying at 2d clocks correct?) is if it detects that you don't have the additional power connectors plugged in. If you have all the connectors in the video card it is either going to get the power it needs and function properly or it isn't going to get enough power and its going to crash. Unless I missed something there isn't any digital logic that turns off functional units (pixel pipelines, shaders, ect.) if the GPU isn't getting enough power.

I thought if a card was artifacting etc. then low power to the card from the PSU can be a factor in that. I read many posts where a users card is artifacting and they've replaced the PSU with something more powerful and the card has then functioned fine.

Alexhk said:
I don't play 3dmark very often but I'd start with checking if the sapphire 1950pro offers the same core and memory clocks as the 1950 pros that you are comparing it to. Other minor considerations could be your CPU clockspeed(and memory for that matter), are you comparing apples to apples here? I'd suggest using ATi tool (is that still popular?) and checking your GPU's clocks.

I'll do that but I'm pretty much sure they are the same.

Alexhk said:
Also as EmAn suggested some drop in performance could be due to the reduced bandwidth available to your video card. I don't really remember the extra bandwidth provided by 16x PCI-E (over AGP 8x) making much of a difference but maybe we've finally hit the point where its mattering a bit. That’s another thing to check, is your motherboard set at something lower than 8x for AGP? Check your bios.

I don't think thats the case personally but you never know.

Alexhk said:
Unless you're having stability issues don't worry about that PSU of yours. As for my EA 380W, after several months it is still doing a great job running the rig in my sig (what I tested it on.) We'll see what the upgrade to quad core does ; )

Yeah its a great little PSU for the money and I'm glad its running your system fine. I only hope I can find out what the problem is. I was thinking of buying a different 1950PRO, one that specifically uses a PCI-E connector. That way the card is getting pure 12v power so to speak, as the wires with the molex's on are plugged into other things as well, such as the hard drive and dvd-rw.

mcoleg said:
molex connectors have no problem delivering the needed amps to this card...

it's not 27A to the card, btw.

most likely you are cpu and memory bandwidth (single channel, eh?) limited. in other words, the rest of your system cannot catch up to your vid. card.

is cpu overclocked?

Yeah I know my system isn't that great, but I'm sure the 3d mark score is a little low for my system.

Well, without reading all 8 pages of this thread. Most PSU's list their wattage at peak wattage.

Get a quality PSU like a PC Power & Cooling. Their 750W PSU actually has a peak of 825W. They rate their equipment the right way. Most rate theirs the "lets lie to the consumer" way. You will rarely see that peak wattage, and so 380W on just a run of the mill PSU will NEVER hit 380W. Sad, but true.

Granted their might be others that do it like PCP&C, but the vast majority do not.

Every manufacturer worth his/her salt in the enthusiast market rates continuous power as opposed to peak. PCP&C are the ones shouting from the roof tops about being the pioneers in this area, which, is quite far from the truth.

Sorry to bump a year old thread, but I thought this was interesting as I was planning on using an EA380 with my new build.

E8400 probably OC'd to 3.5
8800GTS G92
Gigabyte P35-ds3l
2 WD6400AAKS and a DVD/RW burner
the three fans in the P182 and maybe 1 or 2 more 90mm

I noticed in the OPs sig, he now has a 480w PSU, whatever happened to the build for a year ago?

What's a EA380? motherboard version of an airbus A380? :)

I don't know but maybe he's waiting for the new 4870 or the new 9900gtx and nelhelm?

Was wondering... do you guys think I could run my rig on this psu?

I have a Q6600 @ 3.0ghz and an 8800gts 640mb...

I was thinking that the higher processor might be off-set by having a lesser video card than the gtx.

Reason being... I really like the Antec NSK2480 case and would like to see my rig in it.

That or even if I got like a E8400 or 7200 or something like that.

Just figured I'd post here rather than making a new thread.

Back