• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing the 6600GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

I recently bought the 6600GT AGP. Now it runs alright, but I dont see any difference in it so far then my 5500FX when playing FFXI. The game caps its FPS at 30, which is fine, but im not even getting 30 FPS (its 4 year old game). If I take weather effects off, i average around 26-28, but with weather on, I get like 15. I have it currently o/ced at 550/1050. It just seems odd that this card can't run this game decently.

I also have my CPU o/ced. However, every now in then, my PC will lock up for 3 seconds and go back. I even had a complete freeze for the first time. So I lowered my CPU and GPU clock speeds, and I only get the once in a while spike.

I put both o/ed through benchmarks. I ran 3dmark 3 and 6 with no problems. Ran Prime 95 for 7 hours and no warning or errors.

So, would a higher oc/ed 6600GT, to like 575/1100 (still loads about 50º) be the reason it is freezing, or is it the CPU.

Back