• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ DDR BOOSTER success!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
I didn't see many posts on these DDR Boosters from OCZ. The first thing I noticed is that OCZ's list of compatible motherboards is missing quite a few of the popular boards. I am going to post the OCZ Compatibility chart, then add to it when people tell me that it works with their board. The boards that are marked in BOLD are the ones that have been added.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abit KV8 n/a N Not Compatible
Abit IC7 3.6V
Y Board may need VTT mod for best performance
Abit IC7 Max3 3.4V
Y Board may need VTT mod for best performance
Abit AN7 3.4V
Y Use in DIMM Slot 3; results in single channel configuration
Abit IT7 MAX2 2.8V
Y Does not run above BIOS voltage setting of 2.8V
Abit AI7 3.4V
Y
Abit NF7 v.2 3.4V
Abit NF7S v.2 3.4V
Y Use DIMM slot 3

ASUS A7N8X n/a
N Functional up to 2.8V. Due to overvolt protection, voltage beyond 2.8V yields precarious results.
ASUS A8V n/a
N Not Compatible
ASUS P4S533 3.4V
Y Will o*nly fit 1 memory module
ASUS P4C800-Deluxe 3.6V
Y
ASUS P4P800 3.4V
Y
ASUS P4C800-E 3.6V
Y
ASUS P4R800-VM 3.4V
Y
ASUS K8V 3.4V
Y Will o*nly run 1 module in slot 2 or 3.

Aopen AK89max 3.4V
Y

Biostar P4VTB 3.4V
Y
Biostar K8NHA Pro 3.4V
Y
Biostar K8VHA PRO 3.4V
Y

Chaintech VNF3-250 3.6V
Y Will only fit one memory module in conjunction with DDR Booster.
Chaintech ZNF3-250 3.4V
Y Will o*nly fit o*ne memory module in conjunction with Booster.
Chaintech ZNF3-150 3.4V
Y
Chaintech 9CJS n/a
N

DFI 875LP rev.B 3.1V
Y Will not boot above 3.1V.
DFI 865PE 3.4V
Y
DFI nForce2 Lan Party rev B n/a
N

Epox 4PCA3 n/a
N Not Compatible
Epox 4PCA3I n/a
N Not Compatible
Epox 8K5A2+ 3.6V
Y Use Booster in DIMM slot 2 or 3
Epox 8RDA3+ 3.4V
Y Use Booster in DIMM slot 1 or 3. Dual Channel unavailable in conjunction with Booster.
Epox 9NDA3+ n/a
N Not Compatible

FIC 875Dynasty n/a
N
FIC P4M-RJ300 n/a
N Not Compatible

Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 3.4V
Y
Gigabyte 8KNXP 3.1V
N
Gigabyte K8NNXP 3.4V
Y Can o*nly fit o*ne memory module w/o heatspreader
Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 3.7V
Y
Gigabyte K8NS Pro 3.5v
Y
Leadtek NCR18-D Pro2 Ltd. 3.2V
Y
Leadtek K7NCR18-D 3.2V
Y

MSI 865PE Neo 3.4V
Y
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 3.4V
Y
MSI 875P Neo 3.3V
Y BIOS already adjustable to 3.3V. Will not function reliably beyond this voltage.
MSI K7N2 3.3V
Y Will not boot above 3.3V
MSI K8T Neo 3.4V
Y Can o*nly fit 1 memory module

Shuttle AN50R n/a
N

Soltek Qubic 3801 3.8V
Y Booster will not fit with drive bay cage installed.
Soltek SL-865PE 3.0V
TBD Will not boost above 3.0V

Mine worked like a champ on my Gigabyte K8NS Pro board that usually limits me to 2.7 volts. I can send as much as 3.6 volts to my ram now, but I leave it at 3.0 volts. This .3 volt increase has allowed me to go from 170mhz 2-2-2-6 to 225mhz 2-2-2-6 with my BH-6 ram. I think that is worth $50 dollars, and I am super happy with my purchase. What have others found about this OCZ DDR Booster?

-Collin-

Last edited:
Nice, I would like to hear if someone got the OCZ booster to work on a NF7 V2 without doing any volt mods......I've heard of this working.

May be the same case with you Ninja.

**EDIT** Spoke with sean@OCZ, still need to do VTT mod for it to track over 3.0v. So, sorta sounds like you can use it for a .1v increase, but no more. Probably been covered somewhere, sorry.

Last edited:
I have a side question here. I have the Chaintech VNF3-250 board (3 dimm slots) and on the website it says that I can only fit 1 memory dimm if I use the booster. From pictures I've seen, one side of the booster has all the huge hs's and stuff on it while the other looks like a normal memory stick. The VNF3-250 has 3 dimm slots so why couldn't I put 2 dimms in the first two and put the booster in the third? Am I missing something?

gotensan01 said:
I have a side question here. I have the Chaintech VNF3-250 board (3 dimm slots) and on the website it says that I can only fit 1 memory dimm if I use the booster. From pictures I've seen, one side of the booster has all the huge hs's and stuff on it while the other looks like a normal memory stick. The VNF3-250 has 3 dimm slots so why couldn't I put 2 dimms in the first two and put the booster in the third? Am I missing something?

The only thing I can think of is that it might not fit in the side slot because of interference with the heatsink from the CPU. Mine comes pretty close, but I managed, and I can still install two dimms in the other two slots. I'll look around, I think I have a friend with that same board.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
The only thing I can think of is that it might not fit in the side slot because of interference with the heatsink from the CPU. Mine comes pretty close, but I managed, and I can still install two dimms in the other two slots. I'll look around, I think I have a friend with that same board.

-Collin-
Cool, thanks for looking into this.

Here is a good picture of the board in question. I figured the OCZ Booster would go on the DIMM slot furthest away from the CPU. If done that way, I see no reason why I couldn't install 2 other DIMMS. This is why I'm so worried. It seems so obvious that two memory sticks can fit yet OCZ says specifically that only 1 memory module can fit...

you *MIGHT* have a problem with the cap by that slot (close to CPU) but you can move/mod the HS on the MOSFETS to "make" it fit...

look @ a NF7-s mobo and see how close the cap is to the slot (close to CPU) and KNOW that there was some modd'n needed to make it fit in mine (NF7-s)

Abit AN7 3.4V

does that mean if i use on on my AN7 even if i use 2 sticks it still goes into dual channel?

sorry, this isn't related to you but I know how people get pissed when people make their own thread and this seems to kind of be of relevance...

Anyways, I have an ai7 and according to the compatibilty chart of the ddr booster, they tested up to 3.4V. But, it provides 3.2V already. But, does this mean that it can ONLY go up to 3.4V or they would only reccomend to go that high? .2V for $50 doesn't really seem like it is worth it but otherwise I was thinking about getting the ddr maximizer being developed at the xtremesystems forums but that is going to cost around $100+. But, it is compatible with ddr and ddr2 and can go up to 4 volts no matter what the motherboard is.

^^ Can you post a link to the xtremesys project?

I spoke with SteveOCZ and he said it does not work with the ASUS A8V because it has an auto shutoff safety feature if the vDimm exceeds 3.01V. I don't think .2 V is worth the $45.

Super Nade said:
^^ Can you post a link to the xtremesys project?

I spoke with SteveOCZ and he said it does not work with the ASUS A8V because it has an auto shutoff safety feature if the vDimm exceeds 3.01V. I don't think .2 V is worth the $45.
Disregarding any voltage safety shutoffs, there are conditions where .2 or .3 volts could make a difference. In terms of some chips and high overclocking, like BH5's, I think the difference between 2.9 and 3.2 is fairly significant. In a field where people strive for something like an extra 10mhz fsb, I think the .2 could be significant under certain conditions.

I was referring to the boards not on the official OCZ list. If you can hit 3.2, that's cool but for those limited to 3.0 by their Mobo, I don't think the $45 is worth it, given the uncertainity of it working. This uncertainity is exemplified by the fact that you could blow up your non-supported Mobo.

Well, I have also heard that this DDR booster supplies cleaner power, so you can actually get a higher overclock with the same voltage as set in bios. I haven't verified this yet, but it sounds conceivable.

Anyone going to PM me with their boards being successful or not?

-Collin-

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40609&page=1&pp=25
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42220
thats the ddr maximizer. It has been in development forever but it looks like a very nice product. But, the over $100 pricetag kind of makes me wonder if it is worth it.

But yeah, I have 1 gb of bh-5 and when running dual channel it is only good up to about 228 at 2-2-2 timings with 3.2v and I want to get around 240. If I use the AI7 can I get 3.6V out of the ddr booster? I don't really know how it works or anything so I don't know how I'm supposed to interpret the ocz chart.

The chart says that 3.4 volts is the maximum they have tested on that board with the booster. You could go higher, but they havent tested it.

-Collin-

o ok

I'll try to get some more insight about it before the maximizer comes out i guess.

Last edited:
NinjaZX6R said:
Well, I have also heard that this DDR booster supplies cleaner power, so you can actually get a higher overclock with the same voltage as set in bios. I haven't verified this yet, but it sounds conceivable.

Anyone going to PM me with their boards being successful or not?

-Collin-
I read a review that said the cleaner power gave a 2 mhz increase for this one guys setup.

I have the booster ordered for my AI7.

This is what I am hoping for.

More stable/extra power should enable me to use the F1-S-3-D-D setting I was able to use in the cooler winter.

Up the max mhz by 10mhz, or increase the current speed stability piece of mind threshold to a level I am 100% certain my ram is mint.

(waits eagerly for courier to arrive)

Back