• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd Barton Issues on ASUS A7N8X-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PAWO

On my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe I had a Barton Mobile showing up as "Unknown CPU type" and it locked the voltage at 1.88 volts and whats weird is that setting the FSB at like 200Mhz and the Multiplier at around 12.5 or 13 resulted in it showing up as a 866Mhz or 900Mhz "Athlon Mobile" both in the BIOS/Boot/and windows. But if I backed it to 133 or 166FSB with a multiplier of 13 or less, it would run at the correct speed, all the way up to about 2.6Ghz, which it was seeing temps of about 63-65C load, with a Jet 7 Coolermaster on Full Power & Arctic Silver. A multiplier of 13.5 or 14 also resulted in the same drop to sub-Ghz speeds and the mobile name showing up. It would not let me choose any other voltage than 1.85 no matter what settings I chose. What is wrong here?? I am sending the CPU back because the board just won't take it, and I'm awaiting an AthlonXP 2800+ replacement/exchange, (the CPU's code numbers on the chip are "AXDA2800DKV4D", "9679123430603", "AQXCA 0347APMW") hopefully not to face the same problem again. Any ideas why this is happening? I am assuming its an unlocked CPU as it is shown as a Mobile Barton by CPUid. I would have been perfectly happy had the voltage issue not been there, it still ran stable with the 1.88 volts at 166FSB x 12.5 multiplier (2.08Ghz) which isn't even 2800+ speed, but at a temp of about 59-62C idle/load. I just don't get whats wrong here and think its going to happen again with the replacement. Is it the board?! :confused:

Last edited:
As you know, or I hope you know, you cant go over 12.5x multi with that cpu. You need to do a pin mod to access 13x+. I have that same combo, and all I can say about the voltage is get the 1008 uber bios. I liked it a lot more than the 1010 official or any other bios.

Ok thanks! I didn't know they stopped at 12.5 multiplier, but I will go ahead and change to the 1008 bios...it had 1007 when I got it then I brought it up to the 1010 official....I'll try that.

Ok I tried the 1008 BIOS, no different, except it bluescreened XP on boot and now I'm trying to salvage it. It still says Unknown CPU type and is locked at 1.88 volts. Would an unlocked CPU cause these probs? I've never had this stuff happen before so I have no idea why it is happening, and its getting annoying.

XP seems to have died now, I don't think I am going to be able to recover it, as it gets a blue screen right when it gets to the Logo/loading screen and then restarts. I am not going to deal with this thing again till thursday when the CPU exchange comes in, hopefully it won't happen with that one too.

Are you using SATA? If so, the sata bios is different between 1010 and 1008. Install windows on a small drive and flash back to 1010. I had the same problem, so I had to reinstall windows twice after finding out I didnt like 1010.

Ouch, yeah I am using the SATA Raid-1 with dual 160 gig baracuda's, so I bet that was the prob....siiiigh, I have a small 8 gig seagate to put windows on, I'll just reflash it I guess....back to working on it I go. Thanks for the help!

Yeah I wasn't worried about that, its the fact that the mobile chips can run at like 1.6 volts or less, 1.88 is quite high and thus it gets quite warm, in a cool room its pushing 63C at load. If I were able to drop the voltage below that (it won't let me choose anything aside from 1.85) then I'd be fine and happy with it, it just....doesn't....any reason why?? Is it just the BIOS of that board thats causing it? I'd really like to drop the temps and voltage as this system isn't even intended to be overclocked.

I'll resort to a pin mod if the exchange CPU that comes thursday presents the same problems....but this really shouldn't be happening should it? I mean, I should have just plunked the CPU in there, booted, and had it say "AthlonXP 2800+" and had it running at the proper FSB, multiplier, and Voltage right off, shouldn't I? I mean all the other pc's I've ever built (most intended for non-overclocked use) did just that. What makes this combination not cooperate like all the others I have built? I truly enjoy geeking and overclocking and modding some of my other systems, but when it comes to ones I'm selling to people I want them to just run stock and normal. Now this one just....won't.....maybe it wants to be non-stock. That'd be creepy. :eek:

Ok I put in the exchange CPU (and ram) today and reset the bios....and...it works! It still shows up as "Unknown CPU type" but, it is running at 1.65 volts like it should and all the voltages are avaliable in the BIOS, and I have it rock stable at 200FSB x 11, more than I even needed! This thing is benching at P4 3.2/AthlonXP 3200+ levels, pretty awesome. Also with the jet 7 cooler running real slow, it only hits about 58C under full load. it used to be hitting 65C with the cooler at max power. So, all has worked out, and I guess the other CPU, which was nearly identical, had a prob or something.....nooo idea

Back