• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old hd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GeoXx

Registered
im building a computer with new cpu/motherboard/case/fan/memory/video card..im just wondering if i can use my old harddrive with all its files on it and its OS. or do i have to reformat and and buy a copy of windows xp? :<

cetoole said:
You will need to reinstall the OS, the chipset is different, but no need to use Windows.

So am I to understand that when I upgrade my board and processor I will have to reinstall Windows XP? :eek: Why is that? And will all my other programs be seen by Windows after the install?

DuckDodgers said:
So am I to understand that when I upgrade my board and processor I will have to reinstall Windows XP? :eek: Why is that? And will all my other programs be seen by Windows after the install?

i think you gotta reformat , then install the OS again.. :<.. yeah it sucks , i have to spend 90 bucks on a copy of winxp...

O....M....G.... I have had 3 hrs sleep trying to get my system back up and running after a major upgrade....yup had to reinstall XP... big pain. Is there anyway to avoid having to do this when you do upgrades to your processor and MB? :-/

If I was to back up all my files, reinstall windows and the restore the back-up, would that work. Or would the chipset info be part of the back up.

this is my old thread about using the HD that already has everything on it. now im having trouble explaining to my mother why we have to format the HD and install fresh new copy of WinXP. i need more reasons. she's really being so ignorant about building this computer , that its getting depressing. i ordered these parts , yet i want to build it myself and not have her f anything up.

My experience has been the easiest way to deal with Windows after a system upgrade is to reinstall Windows. It has to do with the registry recognizing the new hardware. Somtimes you can upgraded Mother boards and CPU/s and not have to mess with Windows but more often than not Windows won't.
I just upgraded MB's and CPU's on our 2 computers here at my home. I had to reinstall Windows in both. I have seen some people try to repair Windows with the repair function. But there again it is real ify...I would make copies or backup all important files and then just format and reinstall Windows. Alot less head aches that way. Hope this helps.

To elaborate on DuckD's answer,
It is part of Windows XP anti-pirating scheme. Windows registers your components and when you activate your installation it remembers what chipset you have. If you try to run that disk with the OS installed on another machine, it will know that there is a change and fail to run. This prevents people from making a ghost image and transfering it to multiple machines but allows them to make copies of the disk to run on the same machine.
If you do not have a copy of Windows on a CD with a valid Certificate of Authenticity, then you must buy a copy. There is no other legal way.

fabulouscoops said:
To elaborate on DuckD's answer,
It is part of Windows XP anti-pirating scheme. Windows registers your components and when you activate your installation it remembers what chipset you have. If you try to run that disk with the OS installed on another machine, it will know that there is a change and fail to run. This prevents people from making a ghost image and transfering it to multiple machines but allows them to make copies of the disk to run on the same machine.
If you do not have a copy of Windows on a CD with a valid Certificate of Authenticity, then you must buy a copy. There is no other legal way.

Close - when you switch motherboards, it's not always about the product activation. It is about the chipsets. Windows XP's stability comes from the fact that its low-level (I mean machine code level) drivers will be tailored to each motherboard. If you replace an intel chipset-based motherboard with a via chipset-based motherboard, these low-level drivers must be removed or else XP will be unstable. XP will BSOD to prevent any data from being corrupted with the unstability.
However, you do not have to format the machine after switching mobos. There is a repair install that can be run from the XP CD. It will delete the low level drivers and XP installation (but saves your programs and local user data) and prepare it again with a new set of drivers. Afterwards, XP will have to be re-activated. If you have a problem with it, call Microsoft and they will help you.

dark_15 said:
Close - when you switch motherboards, it's not always about the product activation. It is about the chipsets. Windows XP's stability comes from the fact that its low-level (I mean machine code level) drivers will be tailored to each motherboard. If you replace an intel chipset-based motherboard with a via chipset-based motherboard, these low-level drivers must be removed or else XP will be unstable. XP will BSOD to prevent any data from being corrupted with the unstability.
However, you do not have to format the machine after switching mobos. There is a repair install that can be run from the XP CD. It will delete the low level drivers and XP installation (but saves your programs and local user data) and prepare it again with a new set of drivers. Afterwards, XP will have to be re-activated. If you have a problem with it, call Microsoft and they will help you.

Will Windows recognize all the installed programs such Office, Zonealarm, NOD32 Nero etc and make them available also.? Sure would make life easy. :)

Last edited:
Back