• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Laptop = New Distro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtis1552

I've got a good ole Toshiba Shuttle 2805-S202
Detailed Specs
700 Mhz Proc
128 Meg RAM (PC 100)
No HDD right now.

I got it complely free so it's a good deal for me.
I have ordered 256Mb Additional Ram, and a 40Gb HDD.
(Also a PCMCIA USB2.0 card b/c it only has USB 1)

I still need to buy a PCMCIA wireless adapter, so any linux friendly recommendations?
Perhaps I could pull the current MiniPCI modem/NIC and install a wireless one? It has a nice hatch to get to it and remove it.

Anyway.
I need a good version of linux for it.
Due to the limited RAM i'm not going to use Gnome or KDE.
Due to the limited speed I'm not going to compile anything I don't have to.
Due to it being a cheap lappy I need something that boots fast and runs clean.
I don't really like Flux - the click for menu annoys the hell outta me.
I like the look of Gnome, KDE annoys me. I haven't really used Enlightenment much but I have a positive opionion of it so far.
Don't forget my crappy RAM (about to max out at a whopping 384Mb), light is good, but not too light or it's not fun.

I like DSL/DSL-N but it's too much of a pain to get the software installed and such - I want an OS that will 'happily' install to the HDD and also has a decent selection of software in the repos that can be installed without too much hassle (This isn't going to be my computer - it's going to my wife for working on papers and such at school)

Uh, yup. That's it.
So What's a fun distro someone's seen or is using that I can use?

Last edited:
For a look at some Linux friendly PCMCIA cards check here.

As for choice of OS- gosh, I don't know. You want something fun & sexy, right? Debian comes to mind...

Last edited:
Kinda helpful, I'd like 802.11g card though, that only lists b and DS and FH (I've never heard of the last two before)

I went ahead and bid on a Netgear WG511T PCMCIA card on flEbay.

Debian is OK, but i'd have to get into the testing repo if I wanted anything near current (Like E16).

Last edited:
what about Puppy linux?
as for wireless, usually anything with an intel chipset is very friendly

Last time i used it it didn't have flash/java pre-installed and because I was running it as a LiveCD I had to reinstall it every time I started the computer. TeenPup had it, but i don't want to rely on a puplet for proper releases, esp. since it doesn't seem to be offered anymore.

I could be mistaken but I believe Puppy can be installed to the HD and then you dont have to continuously rely on reinstalling

Alternatively you might like SIDUX its a good solid distribution based on debian but keeps a lot more up to date. Read the faq on the website for more info

Downloading Sidux XFCE now. It looks pretty nice, and with XFCE as a DM it should run OK. Also with my linux background (95% UUbuntu) it should feel pretty homey.

And WTH is up with the random pictures in the screenshot gallery?
There's photo's on making breadsticks!

Hahahaha,
It's only got 128Meg RAM and it won't even load Sidux XFCE. I know it works though, I got DSL-N running on it fine.

I'm still open for more suggestions if anyone has any - it'll be a few days before the RAM and HDD show up in the mail.

Last edited:
Downloading Sidux XFCE now.

Sidux is tracking Debian Unstable without almost any modifications (they have their own kernel), and is updated directly from debian unstable repositories in their sources.list.

Short version: use the original instead of the copy if you want to go that way.
Debian testing is currently frozen and should be pretty stable btw, making it a good contender for your distro choice. Just do not use tasksel while installing at all and only install stuff manually and directly via apt-get without recommends enabled. I ran sid on a P2 233/128 with windowmaker. Ran fine (~60MB RAM used after startup) but ffox was sluggish due to the CPU of course

Well, I also despise the Debian main site (yes i know it's petty, but couldn't they pick a less annoying color scheme)
Also i'm getting annoyed looking for the unstable version, (i'm so used to Ubuntu it's getting sad) are you referring to packages, or a general download? ATM i'm getting the 40r6 i386 DVD iso.

I'd recommend Archlinux. Not because its good, or even because I've ever run or seen it. It could blow your system up even I suppose...

Anyways tho, a lot of Linux issues I've encountered have turned up in google thru the archlinux wiki, so their documentation is better than average. They also have a package management system which sounds slick.

Initial install would be some work compared to everything and the kitchen sink distros, but it could be fun depending on what your looking for.

Plus, it will be the next distro I try after I get my desktop running at home so I'd be interested in hearing your experience on Arch.

I think i'll give zenwalk a try first, then arch. If that fails I'll go with debian.

EDIT:
Got the HDD in.
It was SATA. I needed PATA.
It's in the classies now.

Last edited:
Well, an update. Still waiting on a harddrive.
But I got my wireless card in! I typing on the laptop and running TinyME (PClinuxOS small version) while sitting on the couch, using my WPA encrypted wireless network!
Once I get the harddrive this old laptop is gold!
FYI, if you just need A laptop there are a lot of old laptops on ebay for about 50$. If you drop another 50 on upgrades (wirele, ram, HDD) you have a functional laptop for only 100. I guess you could drop another 150 and get a netbook that has more ram and processor, but then it also costs more.

something fluxbox based, like fluxbuntu or Vector or Zenwalk.

I forgot about zenwalk, remembered that Arch was a pain to get a nice gui installed and working, can't for the life of me get my wireless card to work with debian (running enlightenment WM)
So... I'm going to try out gOS, because i'm selling my soul to Google.
Luckily it meets the recommended hardware requirements nearly exactly.

Gentoo anyone?

compile times would be very terrible, unless you have another x86 to cross compile with, lol..

I had a pentium 3 500 system with 256, and a duron 800 with 256 also, I ran archlinux on the duron, the OS is nice, and installing wasn't GUI but it is a breeze if you follow the manual.

It performs rather well, i originally tried the rocket release. When looking for a light distro for older computers.
Since it had so much google attributed ot it (and at the inital release there were rumors of a google os) I thought that they produced it, when in fact it is not.
It's an independent company, which has now put out another OS, Cloud, aimed at netbook users. It's based as a internet browser, and almost nothing else. (I think it can do some word processing)
Useful in that regard.

Back