• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

onboard or soundblaster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captain_sHiFTy

i have a soundblaster live! soundcard that was attached to my old mobo. i just bought a new mobo (msi k7n2 LNforce 2).

i ve heard that the onboard sound on the nforce 2 boards is really good, but its also using up processor power right?

should i go with my soundblaster, or should i use the onboard sound?

i have a 6piece altec lansing 5.1 channel speaker set.

That SB Live is an old card!
It also uses the cpu for processing. So there is no difference there from using onboard sound. SB Audigys are the ones that reduce cpu usage for sound. However I quit using ALL Creative products this past year, in particularly their SB cards. I've come to the conclusion, after being a Creative customer since their beginning, that their products have actually gotten worse in terms of support and quality. Most all of Creative's drivers gives problems. I continueously had problems with their sound card drivers since the Live series. The Audigy was terrible for me. I had many problems with their webcam drivers also.(Plus their expensive webcam I bought from them lasted only until the warranty ran out.)

So at the 1st of 2003 I completely left everything out of my system that was Creative, and used onboard sound. I had a MUCH better experience with much less problems. I'm glad I quit Creative products! As for the onboard sound using cpu power, it shouldn't be noticeable at all unless you have a very underpowered cpu. Plus if you have a new name brand mobo, chances are the sound on it will be every bit as good as your SB Live.

If you really want an add on sound there are other companys to consider.
The choice is yours. So I'd read all I could on the subject.

Cheers,
Mike

the soundstorm on the nforce2's uses the least cpu time of any on-board sound devices and even out does the audigy 2 on a number of occations.

I believe your onboard sound is better than your old Soundblaster Live

depends, some nf2 mobo's don't have the "soundstorm" chip in them, just regular ac97.........not sure how good the sound is on those but if it's the soundstorm, then its pretty good - have an audigy (1) & onboard soundstorm and they both seem to be about the same in sound quality.........but hearing something is definitely in the ear of the beholder.........

Back