• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

one of my drives going bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shotawe

AFK SRRY AT SCHOOOL, BTW who needs algebra?
ok when i game it stutters ( when so my harddrive sounds like a cd writer)and i can deal with it but dont like the idea of it....
so i want to give way with this harddrive because i have to have this drive to boot BECAUSE! somehow when i installed another vista os in for duo boot i need the two drives connect to use either one and the os is on separate drives. any ideas?
and my gpu is not the problem....

So if you remove the HDD you believe is having the problem, you can't boot to Vista? Sounds like the boot files (or system files as MS refers to them) are on the bad HDD. Remove that HDD, boot from the Vista DVD and attempt to repair the bootloader. You'll need to go to command prompt, run diskpart, and make the partition active. Then exit diskpart, reboot, and boot from the DVD to recovery environment again. Run the following commands in a command prompt window.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixboot

Back