• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opera and SuSe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shep

I tried installing Opera on my SUSe machine last night.
I used the package manager to unpack the rpm. After it was unpacked it showed a list of dependencies and that was as far as it went. What is a dependency and what do I need to do with it to make Opera install.

different packages often need other packages to function properly. These are called DEPENDANCIES ie. Opera depends on another program/file to work properly. Look at the list of dependancies. You need to get thoes files/programs. SuSE, from my experience, is quite a complete distro so check for the needed programs using Yast or Yast2 first.

If this still doesn't work type: (replacing <opera package> with the name of the Opera package)

rpm -Uvh <opera-package> --nodeps --force

This will force SuSE to ignore the dependancies and install no matter what. This may mean that it will not work properly when installed, so be careful.

Just for reference, when I installed SuSE 7 pro I chose default with office and Opera installed fine.

When I install SuSE I choose to do the full instrall. This installs KDE as well as Gnome. Even though KDE is my gui of choice many apps that will not compile/work will becuse the Gnome libs will be present.

Back