• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Operation Banana

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you Bobnova.

So I won't need to send any completed WUs slightly in advance, to 'warm up' or 'activate' the statistical counting of the points. First WUs will count for the teams, right from the start of my freshly created accounts?

I'm just wanting to be sure everyone gets as much of me as they deserve... <grin>

Yup it works from the word go.
The "RAC" (Recent Average Credit) takes about two weeks to even out, not much that can be done about. It doesn't matter much though, as total points are the #1 thing.
The credit for last 24h is also tracked I believe, which will make tracking the input from the BananaBoat nice and easy.
BOINC in general is simpler than FAH to set up, it's nice.
FAH's getting closer with the V7 client, but BOINC still takes the cake IMO.

The above goes for both SETI and Rosetta.

Thanking TRP Misson Update
Day 2 - Mission Report

In the last update for Day 2 we added 162,384 points bringing our total for today to 1,249,474 points from the USS Poo Flinger.
When we add ChasR's points the total is 1,439,522.
TRP also had their first 1 million point day with a total of 1,576,176 :salute:

24 HOURS UNTIL WE LEAVE RAPTOR ISLANDS!!

Day 3 - 12PM Status Report
Final Day

In this update we added 164,344 points bringing our total for today to 550,145 points from the USS Poo Flinger.

12 HOURS UNTIL DEPARTURE!

Day 3 - 3PM Status Report
Final Day

In this update we added 127,276 points bringing our total for today to 677,421 points from the USS Poo Flinger.

9 HOURS UNTIL DEPARTURE!

Day 3 - 6PM Status Report
Final Day

In this update we added 107,603 points bringing our total for today to 785,024 points from the USS Poo Flinger.

6 HOURS UNTIL DEPARTURE!

Day 3 - 9PM Status Report
Final Day

In this update we added 152,418 points bringing our total for today to 937,442 points from the USS Poo Flinger.

3 HOURS UNTIL DEPARTURE! PREPARE THE SHIP!!

Thanking TRP Mission Report

In the last update for TRP we added 58,756 points bringing our total for today to 996,198 points from the USS Poo Flinger.
When we add ChasR's points the total is 1,167,067.
In total we gave TRP 3,489,734 points over the course of our 3 day visit :D
Just want to say thank you again to the guys at TRP for helping us in the Chimp Challenge and I hope you will join us again next year :salute:

SET SAIL FOR UFO ARCHIPELAGO!!!!

USS%20Poo%20FlingerOB.jpg

After some technical issues (no internet all morning :mad:) I can report that
the USS Poo Flinger has arrived at UFO Archipelago to aid in the search for
those aliens that have been sabotaging the SETI servers.
We are here for 3 days so crunch hard :salute:
Updates will now be on a 24 hour basis since we are using individual user names.

I have split my forces, cranking up a bunch of gpus to crunch SETI WUs while the cpus do rosetta.

Looks like I'll be lurking the waters about the archipelago a bit longer than the fleet commander anticipates. I must log some windshield time through the week, hopefully back at the homestead Friday evening. Which means the Seti crew will get a few extra cycles from Unit 1. Will changeover Friday p.m. to Rosetta. Comes the dawn, southward HO !

Tanker has had a great deal of trouble with SETI work units - lots of "computation error"s on the wu's. I've had to move it over to Rosetta, which has a large memory requirement for it's wu's - a bit more than 1/2 GB per wu. :shock:

Trying some work arounds for it, but right now, Tanker's running at 1/4th it's full speed.

I've got two i7's (cpu's) folding for SETI, but that's it, atm.

Rosetta has been annoying me that way, you need a spectacular amount of ram with chips that run >4 threads.
Running out of ram will cause computation failures, or at least it did for me last time I was dealing with that.

Why can't I get above 43% CPU utilization on my 3930k with seti?

Go into advanced view, (all the below info works only in advanced view), and look at the status column on the far right hand side of the tasks tab page -- what does it show?

You should have 1 work units being processed for every core (including HT cores), that your cpu has.

What is your OS? Are you also crunching with a GPU?

Rickdstick advises keeping one core for each instance of a GPU work unit. For example, he has 8 cores, and also runs 2 GPU work units at the same time, so he sets his local preferences:

Tools >> Preferences >> cpu

Set amount of cpu that BOINC can use at 75%, and save that.

Then go into

Advanced >> Read local prefs file

To get the changed data file read by BOINC Manager.

That gives Rickdstick 6 cores for cpu crunching, and leaves 2 cores for working with the GPU's.

That sounds like the SETI equivalent of what we do in FAH, when we fold with both cpu and gpu, so I'm thinking it's a good way to go here.

@VicVelcro:

Use the above procedure to limit your cpu cores, so your gpu has 1 core all it's own. See if that helps (it should).

If that doesn't help, post back.

Last edited:
Back