• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 165 Testbench & Analysis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Now that my Opty 165 is here its time to play! This is going to take a while, so please be patient! This small write-up is intended for people who are fairly new to overclocking and who have never owned a dual-core CPU before. Hence, expect it to be wordy, heavy on screenshots and light on terminology.

Current Status: CPU OC settled at 2.7GHz. Sold all my RAM, because I'm broke. :( I'll run a few SLI tests instead to see if this CPU alleviates any bottlenecks.

System at hand:
Opteron 165 CCBWE 0534 MPMW 131606AK50026
DFI NF4-Ultra D (modded to SLI) BIOS 6-23-3
Fortron Blue Storm AX-500A
512 x 2 Corsair PC3200 Plat v1.1 (BH-5)
XFX 6800GS

I've cooked up a few tests. Please let me know if you would like me to add anything else to this. I hope this would turn out to be some sort of a review and I'm counting on your inputs, suggestions and criticism :D

Test list:
  • Lapped Stock HS v/s Lapped XP-90 and thermal performance. Is an aftermarket solution really necessary?
  • High voltage RAM performance, BH5/UTT
  • Overclocking performance and tests to see if Burning-in really helps.
  • If application of DC specific software tweaks really yeilds a boost in performance.
  • 3D-Gaming performance and Synthetic Benchmarks runs.

First impressions:
VCore defaults at 1.33V in the BIOS (although CPUz reports it as 1.312V).
Make a note of the cache latancies. For the A64 Venice the L2 latency is 18 cycles , whereas for the Opty it is 13 cycles (1024 Mb block) and a max of 17 cycles. Still, this is lower than the Venice. It would be interesting to see what kind of SuperPi time's one can get with similarly clocked A64's and Opty's.

opterondefault9ay.jpg

opteroncachelatency0pm.jpg

By golly! I will never ever go back to a single core CPU again! Working with a DC is absolutely wonderful! Running programs is a seamless process, with no jitters or lagging whatsoever! I bet that is why those who go SMP never look back :)

Burn-in phase:
Burnt it in at stock settings overnight. My preferred program is StressCPU.
Device manager indicates 2 CPU's, Task manager shows 2 CPU's and I'm running two instances of Stress CPU. If you notice, temps are a bit too high for my liking. 40C at load, at stock, doesn't look very promising. Ofcourse, the heatsink although,lapped doesn't have the perfect mirror finish and AS-5 takes about a week to cure. So, there may be nothing to worry after all.
27ghzfinalstresscpustability9h.jpg

In case you are wondering how to run a particular process on a particular core, the answer is, by setting the program affinity to a particular CPU. This ss should be self-explanatory. An interesting test would be to see if one can obtain better performance by manually setting affinity instead of letting Windows do it.
affinity0dc.jpg

Now let us see how far I can push it without bumping up the Core Voltage.
At this point, I'm at 2600 MHz. I'm going to take this nice and easy. In case you missed it, I will be following a strict burn-in protocol. The details can be found HERE (first post).

If you noticed, I have a stepping similar (same week-code) to the one posted HERE. As you can see, the author's final results are tad lower than my initial tests. I would attribute this to the start-up VCore. In my discussion with Reefa_Madness, we were speculating that BH-5 which boots up at low VDRAM are excellent chips. Taking a step in the same direction, I would speculate, that, lower the default VCore better the CPU would OC.(*Edit* Apparently, this was well known in the old school days.) Also, I believe burning in at stock voltage has its merits. Ofcourse, I don't have a twin CPU to test this out, so maybe some of you with more than 2 CPU's can test this for me.

I seem to have hit a wall at 2.6GHz,1.33V. This despite a 16 hr burn-in at these settings. Moral of the story, optimum burn-in time per step < 8 hrs. Time to bump up the VCore. Bumped it up by 0.025V. Now, I'm stable at 2.7GHz, 1.508V.

Here is what I have gleaned thus far, regarding burning in. Burninig in should be used judiciously. One cannot expect to go from total instability (failure in a few seconds) to complete stability. In my case I hoped that would happen after a 16 hr burn-in, to no avail. The system must be in a half-way stable state for a burn-in to succeed. Last night, Stress CPU would fail after 120,000 iterations. After an overnight burn-in (12+ hrs), I'm stable at 1 million iterations!

I've observed that the weaker core usually "lags" the better core. An easy test would be to start two instances of StressCPU and setting the affinities/priorities. Suppose the initial differential is 10 iterations, after several hours, it would jump to 50 iterations etc. It doesn't mean that its unstable, just that it perpetually shows up as being weaker. Note that in RW situations, load is properly distributed by the OS, so this "lag" is not visible.

Another thing I noticed that aws the dip in temps as the burn-in progressed. If you look at the first SS, the temps were consistently at 49-50C (last night), however, this morning the temps were at a surprising low 46C! Now I believe my AS-5 would have finally settled in, to drop the temps, but you are free to draw your own conclusions.

Does burning in help at all?
Yes.Absolutely.

Last edited:
Updates in the first post.

RedDragonXXX said:
BTW...Did you forget what's going down this Sunday :clap:

Hehe...You guys are going to get whipped. :D (Colts v/s Jags)
Man, if the Jags win, I'll keep my mouth shut for the rest of the season. If we win, you won't hear the end of it!

Back on topic*
Thanks for the encouragement folks! I spent a bomb on this CPU. It better be good!

Indy had about 8 inches of snow this evening. I live about 20 min from the Uni, so I walk. Impatient to get started with my Opty, I decided to hurry home before the snow. As soon as I stepped out, the snow began in ernest. By the time I got home, I looked like a snowman!

I spent the next 4 hours lapping my XP-90 (still needs a better finish). I'm using AS-5 on it ATM. Tomorrow, I'll get it lapped on the lapping table, with a carbide polishing compound, at the Uni's machine shop.

I'm posting this from my Opty. Already I am seeing something strange! I have 2 XP installs. One for work and the other for OC/Benching experiments. Most assuredly, the Work install of XP is without any glitches and ran absolutely perfectly with my Venice. The benching install, OTOH, was shot to hell with my overclocking experiments. With my Venice, it refused to boot and I gave it up as dead.

With this Opty, my work install (on an IDE) gave me an "error loading OS" message! Whereas, wonder of wonders, the crap install on my SATA resurructed itself! It even correctedly detected the CPUas an ACPI Multiprocessor! I have no idea why this happened? :confused:

Anyway, default VCore is 1.33V and the idle temp is 30C. I'll be heading to bed soon. I need to reinstall Winblows and that will be done by tomorrow.

Edit*Dragon, I don't think I can beat your clocks, as this guy runs really hot. I will give it a shot though (with the windows open) :)

Last edited:
Hey Super Nade,
Glad to see your doing well with your 165 :D - The DC Optys like to run really really warm...normally an Opty runs about 10C hotter but DC's seem to run a little more hotter. As for the IDE driver, when I first got my NF3 board and then onto the NF4, wether I'm using IDE or SATA, that driver caused my install of Windows to simply die and never boot again. I'd advise against it ;) You also seem to have one of the best week Optys...lucky dog :p Have you tried maxing your ram out yet? Sometimes the memory controllers on the 165 are crap...good luck man!

Thanks man. Now, I think this is a fairly decent Opty. Check this out! ( at stock volts) :D

uppingfreqonstockvoltage5b9lp.jpg

I'll worry about the memory once I'm done beating the CPU. Thus far every intermediate OC setting has passed 1 million iterations of 2 x StressCPU (Process Priority= Realtime). If you notice, my XP install had been shot to hell (occured when I had the Venice). I cannot uninstall Norton or SBLive Drivers..lol.

I'm heading out now, I'll leave StressCPU running. Will update later in the evening.

Last edited:
Thanks WII :)

Wow! This is beyond my most optimistic expectations. I was targetting a max OC of 2.6GHz. I never expected to hit this at stock voltage! Not a single hint of instability till now. Usually, StressCPU will crash or BSOD after 100000 iterations if there is a problem.

This seems to be an excellent stepping!

uppingfreqonstockvoltage6a9mp.jpg

Edit*
Prior to leaving for school, StressCPU failed on both cores after about 20 seconds. Let us see if burning in with CPUBurn (error checking off), will change anything.

O.K guys, I really need to be getting back to school. See you in the evening! I'm running CPUBurn ATM with error checking turned off. Should be ready for more StressCPU in the evening.

Last edited:
Niiiiice ... 2500/2600 @ stock voltage :drool:

Look forward to updates (as I await delivery of my 165 :-/ ) .

Super Nade said:
Thanks WII :)

Wow! This is beyond my most optimistic expectations. I was targetting a max OC of 2.6GHz. I never expected to hit this at stock voltage! Not a single hint of instability till now. Usually, StressCPU will crash or BSOD after 100000 iterations if there is a problem.

This seems to be an excellent stepping!

uppingfreqonstockvoltage6a9mp.jpg

O.K guys, I really need to be getting back to school. See you in the evening! I'm running CPUBurn ATM with error checking turned off. Should be ready for more StressCPU in the evening.

You are my hero. I'd love to be able to get my 165 to 2.5/2.6 on stock voltage. I hope when the day comes, i'll meet this goal.

Those are big words my friends. Heroes are guys like larva, hitechjb1,felinusz, emboss, yeha, Oklahoma_Wolf and Gautam (to name a few among several). I can only dream of measuring up to those guys. :)

I'll concede that I am very lucky! :santa:

It looks like I got a killer stepping. That is all. As of now, my theories on burning in etc, have not been conclusively proved to work. So, its all up in the air ATM. I'd love to say this happened because of a proper burn-in protocol, but I can't . There is no "control" CPU in this experiment.

Hope you get a good stepping!

:beer:

S-N

Edit*

Dragon, I'm coming after your X2. Get ready to die. :D

Update*
I saw a slight improvement. Now StressCPU fails on one core after about 30000 iterations instead of about 5 seconds on both cores. Atleast the one good core has had a decent workout. I'm burning both cores overnight. Hopefully, there may be a few improvements. All this is still at stock voltage. :)
uppingfreqonstockvoltage6b0rp.jpg

Nice work so far! No wonder its doing well...take a look at your stepping again... its CCBWE 0534 MPMW 131606AK50026. 0026 is about as close to the center of the wafer as you'll get and the best silicon. :)

My 3800 that does 2.8GHz with 1.5v is a 0027. :)

Wow! Thanks for the info mate! If I had know earlier, I had the opportunity to hand pick a stepping of my choice. :)

Well, I see no more improvements at stock voltage. Failing StressCPU @2.6GHz. Looks like I need to bump up the voltage a tad.

Back