• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 165 Testbench & Analysis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
and here is my CCBWE 0547 TPMW :)

1654.jpg

thanx !
here's my system :
DFI UT4
Twinmos 1A4T 2x512
7800GT@500/1200
4x80gb Samsung Sata2 RAID 0
Seasonic S12 600w PSU

2.7+++++++++

i'm running an opty 165 and i hit an easy 2.7ghz. once i get my mosfets in and a delta 80mm for some pwm cooling, i'll run a stable 2.8. next step is to the mem. anyone who can help with ocing 2gb of ocz plat i'd be more than happy for the advice! :p

I was trying to follow you as you went along. I just finished my first AMD build. Epox 9NPA+ultra mobo, Operton 165cpu, 2gb's corsair extreme memory, Enermax 620w psu, evga geforce 6800 GS card. I went to SiSoft sandra to do some tests and readings were low. I have never overclocked prior. I noticed the speed of cpu as i understand was 200 and the clock ratio was set at 4 = 800. I set ratio to 9 = 1800 . Since my cpu is supposed to be at least a 1.8 since increased speed to 205 and ratio still at 9. I was wondering what an easy safe realistic setting would be. Excuse me if I sound stupid. I'm trying hard to learn without destroying any expensive components. If you're getting around 2.6, then your running a speed of 290 - 298 with ratio multiplier of 9. right I don't want to burn down the house, just get a reasonable amount of extra performance if I can. I don;t really want to mess with memory timing changes, just cpu. how much voltage is too much?

Nice job Super Nade!

How much voltage are you running through that BH-5? I have 2 X 512 Mushkin LVL 2 Black PC3500 BH-5 and was hoping it would work well with a 165-

2.7 is easy w/ these beasts.

2.7 ghz is easy to hit on these beasts. i'm still working on the completely stable 2.8 but for now it's fine. keep this 165 thread up to date!

ps. X2's are such a waste. go w/ the 1 mb L2 caches that the opty 165's give you instead of blowing more money on the X2 3800's 512k L2 Cache. Opteron's are they way to go when it comes to ocing, pricing, and of course performance!!!!!!

Yeah, I have been able to get my Op 165 to 2.8 but it's not stable... 1.5 vcore. I can only get to 1.7... but whether my cpu is overclocked or not... my temps are pretty high with a zalman 9500 & AS5. I've been considering taking of the IHS.

Good Job SN I guess I need a different Motherboard

I have been reading the posts and following your progress. I have been struggling trying to get my Opteron 165 to overclock.

My Opty is CCBWE 0546SPMW 136319 AK 50371

I started with an MSI Neo 2 platinum trying to save my 6800 GT OC card. I moved to a Gigabyte K8NSXP 939 NF3 and I bought Team PC 4800 DDR600 memory. So far the best I have been able to do is 2.2 ghz stable with windows XP pro running. It appears to me that the NF4 chip boards do better.

I have been reading about the DFI NF4 Motherboards but it seems a lot of people have had issues with them. One user suggests that the DFI NF4 Ultra D is better to go with over the DFI NF4 Expert or Venus. Is this true? Do the users in this forum that are hitting the 2.6ghz on air have a preference on motherboards, and if so what problems have you run into. Also I would like suggestion on coolers. I am looking at both Thermalright and Zalman. I have a Thermaltake Armor case with plenty of airflow. I really do not want a load fan, but I do want the max cooling vs noise for my processor. Feel free to send me an email if you would rather not post here.

Thanks
Jason
[email protected]

running my [email protected] with 1:1 (267mhz) Gskill ddr500. Stock cooling on my A8n32-sli.
idle 34c / load 45c
Shooting for 2.8 stable this weekend.

ComicDom1: I have had no issues with my Asus A8N32-sli board, its rock solid and OC's very nicely.

Have an Opty 165 now, an upgrade from a 146 that I was running at 2.8GHz on the DFI LP Ultra-D. Opty 165 is CCBWE 0551 WPMW. Currently running it at 2.7GHz, 1.5v, have primed it for about 5 hours, will be doing more over the weekend, will post some screens then. I'd like to push it to 2.8, like my 146, but if that doesn't happen, no big deal. Might try to hit 2.8 stable, but I think it's unlikely with air cooling. Need to play some Oblivion too, so I gotta divide my time wisely :santa: .

Last edited:
Back