• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered my new intel system, whatcha think? :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Well, I finally back to intel. I went from AMDXP 2200+, to intel 2.8c, to intel 2.8e, to AMD64 3000+, and now my new intel system.

Ordered from newegg:

Intel LGA775 540 3.2ghz retail
Abit AG8 motherboard
XFX 6600GT PCI-E (will be SLi'ed when it comes out with another) :D

And ordred from Sidewinder

XP-120
Panaflo medium fan 120mm (90CFM @ 35dba)
LGA retention bracket

What do you guys think? My amd64 was @ 2.3ghz with my 6800GT. Although my video card isn't as good, it will be BETTER with another 6600GT, so I future proofed a little (i didn't bother with DDR2).
Another thing is how much of an o/c do you think I could get? Most peopel are hitting 3.8-3.9ghz stable on air, and since I have one of th ebest heatsinks available, I'm hoping for 3.9ghz prime and everything else stable, hell, I can hope for 4ghz ;)

I might be going to 1GB soon if I can get rid of my a-data stick, so that'd be a plus too.

Because I do gaming, but I also do lots of multitasking stuff. I'd like to be able to burn a CD, talk on aim, and play CS at the same time, I can't do that with my a64.

Regarding SLI: if you can afford a 6800 series card, it will often outperform two 6600s in SLI. That way, just add another 6800 for SLI later?

I couldn't find any 6800 pci-e cards, and I didn't have the money

AND AGAIN, I don't just game, I do other stuff that the amd64 really lacked on.

yah welcome back to the darkside (or so i heard :confused: ) looks good but i agree go with the 6800gt you will be happier in the long run

No I won't...I already bought the 6600GT. All I play is CS 1.6 for the most part, I don't need a $400 card to do that. the 6600GT will be just fine.

Also, I notice you have one stick of RAM. Are you adding another stick later, to take advantage of the Dual Channel feature your motherboard will have?

Yeah, i mentioned that in my first post, I'm hoping to go 1GB asap, probably early january. =)

I can't figure out what all the fuss is when someone swaps from AMD to Intel. I just went in the opposite direction and of course i do love the AMD for gaming, but i still could never part ways with my Intel at 3.95GHz. It does lack in the gaming department when compared to an FX-55, however i still use the Intel main rig for anything other than gaming, it is an awsome machine. I have seen the newer Intel setups, and just have not been impressed. I won't be building another Intel machine at least until pci-e/ddr2 matures, or until Dothan comes around, and it will probably be the later of the two. And i have to agree with most, save a little now and get a single 6800 as it's gonna be the same as 2 x 6600's, and about the same cost, not to mention you have some serious room for upgrades later on. Just my .02

Yeah from what i have seen two 6600gt in sli score lower then just one 6800gt

DamienKC said:
Yeah, i mentioned that in my first post, I'm hoping to go 1GB asap, probably early january. =)
I wouldn't wait. Although I don't bother with dual channel kits I always buy both sticks same-time same-vendor. Waiting just lets in the (very real) possiblity the second stick will be different, and that can be disastrous in dual channel Intel rigs.

When I read the subject of this post, I wondered how long it would take some AMDer to come in and hijack this thread, and sure enough, the first 2 responses are AMDers! :rolleyes:

INTEL forum people. :attn:

Congrats on your new system, hope you like it. :beer:

Is that a D0 or E0 stepping? Let us know how your OCs go.

uclajd said:
When I read the subject of this post, I wondered how long it would take some AMDer to come in and hijack this thread, and sure enough, the first 2 responses are AMDers! :rolleyes:

With all due respect, I don't think it really matters where the member recieves his information, as long as it is relevant. For the record, however, I will say that the first two posts had no place in this thread, as they offered nothing to the discussion at hand. However, keep in mind that what you have done is essentially no different. So if you want the AMDroids to back off on their comments, I suggest you do the same. Otherwise, this is simply an example of the "pot calling the kettle black."

Back to the ORIGINAL topic at hand:

Your current system should suit you very well. It it was up to me, however, I would have gone for a motherboard based on the 925XE chipset, as they are believed to overclock slightly better than the original 915/925 boards. Nonetheless, I must admit that such a move would have added to your cost, as well as required you to purchase DDR2 right away. So take joy in your current system as it is fine. Oh, and the 6600GT was a smart buy indeed. Sure, it is less powerful than your 6800GT, but you don't need a $400 video card to play Counstrike, whether it uses the old engine or Source.

deception``

I have almost the same setup as you but with 1gb of ram and a x700pro with the cpu at 3.65 I dont have a game that I caint play, I did have a AMD64 3800 and I found it laggy in 3ds max comparied to a 2.8 :bang head

AMD is good at gaming that is just about it, if you game alot and not much else get AMD if you game as while as doing video editing, animation ect go intel. :)

deception`` said:
I will say that the first two posts had no place in this thread, as they offered nothing to the discussion at hand. However, keep in mind that what you have done is essentially no different.
Uh, with all respect, you have mischaracterized my post sir. I asked about the stepping, wished him luck, and requested performance info.

I am just tired of AMD zealots coming into Intel threads, here or anywhere else. The guy obviously knows about AMDs since he had one.

Again, if I had the money, I'd get an FX 55 for gaming and use Intel for everything else. I am agnostic on platform.

Hardware, not religion.

Now, what stepping is that and how does it OC? :D

uclajd said:
Uh, with all respect, you have mischaracterized my post sir. I asked about the stepping, wished him luck, and requested performance info.

Duly noted.

I am just tired of AMD zealots coming into Intel threads, here or anywhere else. The guy obviously knows about AMDs since he had one.

I am agnostic on platform.

As I stated earlier, such behavior was unecessary concerning this thread. However, please keep in mind that there are die-hard fanboys amongst every brand-name product in the market not even limited to that of computing. With this in mind, try to understand that even the Intel forum is home to a few "zealots" themselves. And, for the record, if you were truly agnostic to a platform there would have been no need for the following comment:

Obviously, this proves that some level of partiality does exist, whether it be significant or minute. Unfortunately, one's behavior cannot be linked to the processor of their computer, so such comments become moot and irrelevant. Once again, if you feel the need to contribute and/or congradulate, then I salute you. But comments similar to the above posted do nothing for the topic at hand and will only exascerbate a flame war.

deception``

Back