• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ouch! CD just blew up in my cd-rom drive!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also had a cd blow up in my drive, awhile ago. I believe that it had developed a minor crack in it. Anyways, it was in my 52x drive, spun up, and boom. I disassembled the drive and found all the little shards, and the drive still works fine.

hmm ya cd's burst out wards its pretty cool they they just spin outwards not one peice goes flying off somewheres...its hard to explain but basically yuo could hook up a router to a cd and have the router stickign out from you (so you can see the whole disc which ever side) and if its horizontal ull never get hit I read a whole site dedicated to it ... i have no chance of finding it again though that was like a year ago

That site was referenced earlier in the thread dkitt10, don't worry about finding it. ;)

We won't be seeing removable disc drives that have rotational speeds any faster than what we have now, atleast not until the media they read improves in strength. There is a lot of research going on with removeable media though, so we could see something real interesting in the next few years.

Me and my bud blew a cd up spinning it on a dremel. Here is a link to the movie file. Don't try this at home. This stund was performed by professionals.

Warning, file is 9 megs. I had a 600k version, but I lost it.

CD Spinning at 35,000 RPM

That was awesome! I wish I had a good enough dremel to do that.

As for the pics, I had to put the camera to other use tonight. We had very bad thunderstorms and somehow the interior of my mother's car was badly flooded. After cleaning it and taking pictures of it, it's now 12 am, too late to dissect my harddrive.

Tomorrow I will try again. Wish me luck.

I once sat on a drive while it was open and the whole tray fell out, used some super glue and its still writing to this day. A friend of mines CD exploded in his drive and he only managed to retreve 1/2 of it (he didnt open it though) he is still using it and it still works with 1/2 a cd in there. i have told him to take it out but he "dosent want to viod the warenty" :S lol

So, CDs have been known to explode in drives at 52x? Is it ONLY at 52x or do other ones kill CDs too?
Also, I was wondering is 52x the read speed or rotation speed?
Should I be worried about my LiteOn 52x burner?
--Nathan

Damaged CDs can explode in drives as slow as 40x, new CDs start exploding at 52x. Just don't burn CDs at 52x and you should be fine (besides, why would you want to burn at 52x when the chance of a write error is exponentially higher than with slower speeds like 24x and 16x).

IMOG said:
That site was referenced earlier in the thread dkitt10, don't worry about finding it. ;)

We won't be seeing removable disc drives that have rotational speeds any faster than what we have now, atleast not until the media they read improves in strength. There is a lot of research going on with removeable media though, so we could see something real interesting in the next few years.

If the industry moves to a smaller diameter, higher density media, I could see rotational speeds go up. However, since the density of today's media is increasing (cd to dvd to dual layer DVD), rotational speeds may not need to improve to get a lot higher data transfer.

Ken

Those Kenwood TrueX drives utilized a read-head with 7 beams to read multiple tracks at once (AFAIK), hence their lower rotation rate compared with single beam optical drives.

OCMunkee said:
So, CDs have been known to explode in drives at 52x? Is it ONLY at 52x or do other ones kill CDs too?
Also, I was wondering is 52x the read speed or rotation speed?
Should I be worried about my LiteOn 52x burner?
--Nathan

I believe the 52x rating stands for the read speed at the drives highest possible rotational velocity.

Back