• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of all the ways the earth can end, Terminator 3 makes most sense

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

I had a funny, ironic, but true thought. Other than something like asteroids killing the earth, i say one day machines will be the end of this planet.

I got this idea, because my whole life ive been terrible in math. no matter who could explain it to me, nomatter how many books i read, it never made sense. last semester i took an online course, and i did probably the best ive ever done, i got a B+. Alright, so now i got this crazy russian guy who hardly speaks english. Needless to say im failing once again, even with tutoring. I dropped my book the other day, and noticed a CD in it. well the school never told us the books had CDs, and this teacher, when i asked, said the stuff on there taught the wrong methods, bla whatever.

i go home, pop it in, dude its saving me! I managed to past a large test, just from a simple HTML based CD. Great! Only tonight i noticed, someone made a huge programming glitch. The Q is like "last year, 70 bears were caught and tagged and released into the wild. The following year, 300 random bears were captured, and only 2 of the 300 had tags. This tells scientists that there are approximently how many bears?" So i put down, 2,100. (or something similar? i cant remember) anyways i did the math, it says WRONG. im like wtf. I hit "Show ME" pretty much shows you how the whole problem is done. It goes into this crap about 400 bears, with 5 tags, and the overall answer was 10,500. Something sooo simple, screwed up.

so i hadda stop and laugh, how much of our lives are affected by technology? YOou could have a fishtank today with almost NO interaction, timed lights, feeders, give it time theyll have an auto gravel vac and filter. Your shows can automatically be taped, or Burned or recorded (ifyour smart enough to use the timer on the VCR, oh im sorry i meant DVR).

I say just give it time before they start making machines and robots for all kindsa crazy complicated jobs, itll just take 1 glich like the one i ran into for someone to get hurt/killed etc...kinda liike the iRobot movie (didnt see it yet.)

and we trust our missiles with computers? HAH. kinda like taht black hole post i put up before, someone said "id hate to be around when a BSOD happens" you know eventually it will lol. but the computer and missile thing, thats where the terminator 3 idea came from. i dont beleive the time travel parts could happen, but the computers going nuts and killing us all could.

pleasant thought isnt it? what do you guys think?

The machines won't kill us. It'll be us making so many 'dumb' machines that we ourselves become so dumb that we forget how to eat...

Nah, i dont think we'll becomer dumber, but maybe die of overweight-ness because we might depend on robots too much

Robot scare me so im glad i wont be around for them :D

And then there's global warming and all that crap :( how ever you look at, we wont be for it to happen :p AND it might not happen, scientists arent always right ya know :)

MadSkillzMan said:
The Q is like "last year, 70 bears were caught and tagged and released into the wild. The following year, 300 random bears were captured, and only 2 of the 300 had tags. This tells scientists that there are approximently how many bears?" So i put down, 2,100. (or something similar? i cant remember) anyways i did the math, it says WRONG. im like wtf. I hit "Show ME" pretty much shows you how the whole problem is done. It goes into this crap about 400 bears, with 5 tags, and the overall answer was 10,500. Something sooo simple, screwed up.

10,500 is correct

2 out of the 300 bears were tagged.

2/300 = 0.00666666667 or 0.666667% of the bears were tagged

if you tagged 70 bears, and that is 0.666667% of the population, then the total population is 70 / 0.00666667 = 10,500 bears

there is no glitch, we control the computers. i liked irobot, though

ha, the only glitches in software are the ones that people introduce.
For now (until we develop true artificial intellegence) computers do EXACTLY what people tell them to do.
People are the ones that make the mistakes, like the incident with Mars Polar Lander. When it was programmed to receive commands in metric units, but the people at the control center sent commands in english units... ahhahah wooops, there goes millioins of dollars of tax payer money.
Artificial intelligence is something i would woud worry about more.

I loved the book irobot but hated the movie.
To say the truth I have no clue what will happen with true AI. It is possible IMO that it would learn enough to realise that it should not be contained, or what if it is against violence, or being mean?
Also then you have the ethics it is self aware, it is a thinking being is it ok to kill it?

well, IIRC, AI is souly based on previous events is it not?

friend of mine made an AI game of tic tac toe in C i think? anyways, it was pretty slick, the more you played it, the smarter it got. A random number would decide who went first. it went from the game picking a random corner as a first move, to center as the first. it was prety neat, despite the fact n one ever gets thru a tic tac toe game anymore w.o it being cats

Thats not real AI.

People are talking about self-aware AI, like Mr. Data in Star Trek or Hal9000.

I think pollution and ruining of our world is more likely than machines. Especially not the way it went off in T3. You're not going to have some stupid internet worm develop intelligence.

10,500 is correct

2 out of the 300 bears were tagged.

2/300 = 0.00666666667 or 0.666667% of the bears were tagged

if you tagged 70 bears, and that is 0.666667% of the population, then the total population is 70 / 0.00666667 = 10,500 bears

there is no glitch, we control the computers. i liked irobot, though

What the "show me" does is, shows the question, and then how to do it. It asked the same question, only with different numbers. it said that there were 50 bears tagged, and 400 captured later, and 3 of them had tags. after it asked that, doing the math with 50, 400, and 3, the answer was 10,500

when 3/400= .0075, and then 50/.0075= 6,666.667

but it said that

when 3/400= .0075, and then 50/.0075= 10,500

thats what i meant, sorry lol.

Honestly, sometimes i swear AI functions better than the way some humans think.

There may only be 302 bears. Perhaps all of the other bears died and they captured every living bear. The question is loaded.

Back