• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"out of frequency range" error message?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h20link

ok im running a radeon 8500 OEM......i've been having lockup problems since i built this machine, but only during gaming. It would lock up completely, i'd have to reboot. The monitor would go black or it would go into sleep mode.

today, the monitor went black, but on my monitor i got a message that said "out of frequency range, set resolution lower or see users guide".........have you guys ever gotten this before?

i'm running some half life mods at 800x600 in direct x.....Is it refreshing too slow or too fast?

@ 800x600 the radeon should refresh plenty fast.......could it be going too fast? I've never encountered this before, not really sure where to start.

It seems to me that the only case could be is that the radeon's refresh is too high, in which case setting the resolution lower would be wrong, wouldn't it, because then the card would just refresh all that much faster?

Also, i'm running my desktop in 1024x768...that shouldn't conflict with my game resolutions, though, right?

Well Hopefully if i can get this problem solved i won't have to RMA my radeon like i thought i would.......if the problem is the monitor and not the video card. thanks in advance for any help you might give me.

[edit][size=-2] here's the scoop on my monitor PS it's running on comp #2 in my sig.[/size] The Presario MV740 offers a maximum resolution of 1,280 x 1,024 and an especially great-looking flicker-free resolution of 1,024 x 768 at 85 Hz. The flat, square monitor provides 15.9 inches of viewing area, and a 0.28-millimeter aperture grille pitch and antireflective, antiglare glass help ensure the accuracy of images. [/edit]

Last edited:
I also have the MV740 and have no such problems. I did experience frequent lockups though in games. It was do to an infinite loop error. I don't think this is your problem thought, but it is possible for solutions visit http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64 This article has a lot of fixes for that problem. As I said before this may not be you problem.

hmmmmmmmm........I don't think that's it 'cuz my system doesn't restart, i gotta do it manually and i get no "send error report" message on reboot. Interestingly enough, though, sometimes when it freezes it'll keep repeating the sound that was happening when it froze....like if it's a grenade going off the last 2 seconds of the "boom" will keep repeating.

that sounds suspiciously like an infinite loop and you only get the message if youre running winxp

from my experience, that usually happens when the vid card's refresh rate is set to something the monitor cant display.

On that error message, does it give you the frequency and resolution it is TRYING to display?

Also, when does this error occur, during game, after reboot, upon entering windows? each would present a different way of resolving the problem.

To answer one question, if you have the vid card set to display a higher refresh rate than the monitor can handle, you need to lower the refresh rate back to something the monitor will accept.

give me a few details as to when it happens, and what refresh/resolution it is trying to run at.

well it doesn't give me any info other than the "out of frequency range". I was playing a half life mod @800x600 in D3D. I have only gotten this message once, during the game it locked up, the screen went black and then this message appeared.

I do play CS in 1024x768 and i have not gotten this message. I have locked up numerous times in other games though, usually in 1024x768. Are the refresh settings in the video bios? if so how do i reach them?

I have never had the computer lock up when not gaming. I think there may even be two separate problems.... Since sometimes the monitor goes into sleep mode....and once i got this message, and other times the screen freezes with an image on it.....so it's hard to say.

I do know that when you try to run games, often it choses a diff res and refresh. go to control panel and set it to default. its above the 60Hz option and should set all of the resolutions to 60Hz

A friend of mine had the same problem, and it was due to his power savings settings, and his comp hadnt uninstalled the old video card. When he would game, the comp would got to sleep settings, because it didnt recognize that he was playing a game. Try going into system settings, in the device manager (if you can in XP) and see if there are more than one video card listed. On my friends comp I had to go into safe mode to find all the video cards that hadny been uninstalled all the way. This may or may not be the problem, but it was in his case. It does sound like about the same problem that you are having though. It sounds like your system is trying to shut down on you through the energy savings settings.

Overclocker550 said:
I do know that when you try to run games, often it choses a diff res and refresh. go to control panel and set it to default. its above the 60Hz option and should set all of the resolutions to 60Hz

they were set at 75hz, tried 60 but it was too flickery for my taste. got an error message about my drivers today, i'm gonna get rid of the 6043's......any recommendations for a replacement?

I really think this doesn't have to do anything with the moniter...

I think your machine is locking up under load, then there is no signal sent to the moniter... Thus the message on the moniter. I really think the problem is maybe the RAM. Whe I had this problem it was with my FIC AZ11 motherboard... which just sucked beyond belief. This is just my opinion though...

I've had monitors say this before. It means that this monitor doesn't support this refresh rate at this resolution and color depth. Set it to 65Hz, or something like that. Lockups are unrerlated.

Hope this helps,

-Dan

Back