• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The CPU_NB multiiplier does not work and is stuck at 10x. That is why I suggested trying raising the FSB and thus getting the CPU_NB to go higher. Most CPU_NB can be changed over a range of 10x thru 13x and some maybe have one multiplier lower than 10x. Your CPU_NB seems oddly stuck at only 10x.

RGone...

ok I guess im being Bull headed , unless im taken things wrong ,but anyways b4 the bios update from F2 to F3i I was able to move my CPU_NB to 2200 so when I updated to F3i I cant get it to 2200 unless I change the Bus speed ,so im thinking this, correct me if im wrong

its the Bios that is preventing me to change CPU_NB to 2200 , Forcing me to change it by the Bus Speed cause if you look back in the post you will see that I ran the 2hr prime stable @ 2200

Sry feels like your attacking me cause I have a Gigabyte board

ok I guess im being Bull headed , unless im taken things wrong ,but anyways b4 the bios update from F2 to F3i I was able to move my CPU_NB to 2200 so when I updated to F3i I cant get it to 2200 unless I change the Bus speed ,so im thinking this, correct me if im wrong

its the Bios that is preventing me to change CPU_NB to 2200 , Forcing me to change it by the Bus Speed cause if you look back in the post you will see that I ran the 2hr prime stable @ 2200

Sry feels like your attacking me cause I have a Gigabyte board
Don't think RGone is attacking you XRogerX, it's more frustration dealing with these Gigabyte boards. They could be good boards if Gigabyte would allow them to be.

Actually XRogerX...

...I might have a bad taste in my mouth about Giga AM3+ motherboards. They have not been absolutely straight up with their customers and talked out of both sides of their mouth. Rev 3.0 of your model of motherboard has been a true pain to most of the customers. Look for what they had to do to stop them from throttling. And when the user contacted Giga, Giga told them there was nothing wrong that the boards were built according to AMD specs. WoWee. That might have been a fine answer if every other brand of AM3+ mobo acted just like the Rev 3.0 boards of the model you have acted. But that was not so.

So everyone of us that works in here mostly 24/7 for free to try and help, spend a lot of time with Giga board users that we do n0t have to spend with most other brands except MSI.

So then we fast forward to your Rev 4.0 board today and after a bios flash you can change the CPU_NB speed in bios but in reality it is not changing. The CPU_NB multiplier appears stuck at 10x. Most other boards will use other than 10x multiplier.

I suggested and you verified that raising the FSB aKa HT Ref Freq or Buss speed might then raise the CPU_NB. Raising the FSB does in fact raise the CPU_NB by a factor of FSB times the unadjustable 10x CPU_NB multiplier. Good for it. At least you will not have to do without any free benefit from a faster CPU_NB. That having to resort to some form of work-around with too many Giga AM3+ motherboards, can after all these years now over 3 years that the FX processors have been in retail, give one a slant away from certain boards.

Now over time that slant may seem aimed at a 'user' but the truth is not so. However I do get tired of users begin taken advantage of when revision after revision only brings some other broke thing, even though something else may have been fixed.

That said, you know how to get more CPU_NB speed, is to lower the cpu multiplier and raise the FSB and keeping ram and HT Link speed within specs, you can then get some more CPU_NB speed. The shame is that most boards will allow raising the CPU_NB speed and report same raised speed in the software we use to see what is going on with the motherboards. Raise FSB and drop the other three busses to keep them within specs and get the benefits small or large from greater CPU_NB speed. And good luck to you.

RGone...

...I might have a bad taste in my mouth about Giga AM3+ motherboards. They have not been absolutely straight up with their customers and talked out of both sides of their mouth. Rev 3.0 of your model of motherboard has been a true pain to most of the customers. Look for what they had to do to stop them from throttling. And when the user contacted Giga, Giga told them there was nothing wrong that the boards were built according to AMD specs. WoWee. That might have been a fine answer if every other brand of AM3+ mobo acted just like the Rev 3.0 boards of the model you have acted. But that was not so.

So everyone of us that works in here mostly 24/7 for free to try and help, spend a lot of time with Giga board users that we do n0t have to spend with most other brands except MSI.

So then we fast forward to your Rev 4.0 board today and after a bios flash you can change the CPU_NB speed in bios but in reality it is not changing. The CPU_NB multiplier appears stuck at 10x. Most other boards will use other than 10x multiplier.

I suggested and you verified that raising the FSB aKa HT Ref Freq or Buss speed might then raise the CPU_NB. Raising the FSB does in fact raise the CPU_NB by a factor of FSB times the unadjustable 10x CPU_NB multiplier. Good for it. At least you will not have to do without any free benefit from a faster CPU_NB. That having to resort to some form of work-around with too many Giga AM3+ motherboards, can after all these years now over 3 years that the FX processors have been in retail, give one a slant away from certain boards.

Now over time that slant may seem aimed at a 'user' but the truth is not so. However I do get tired of users begin taken advantage of when revision after revision only brings some other broke thing, even though something else may have been fixed.

That said, you know how to get more CPU_NB speed, is to lower the cpu multiplier and raise the FSB and keeping ram and HT Link speed within specs, you can then get some more CPU_NB speed. The shame is that most boards will allow raising the CPU_NB speed and report same raised speed in the software we use to see what is going on with the motherboards. Raise FSB and drop the other three busses to keep them within specs and get the benefits small or large from greater CPU_NB speed. And good luck to you.

RGone...

ok that explains a lot ty for taken the time to really explain what going on , that makes sense , and I agree with that , so what board would you suggest on getting to replace this board, that's is 100% fully working Bios lol

ok that explains a lot ty for taken the time to really explain what going on , that makes sense , and I agree with that , so what board would you suggest on getting to replace this board, that's is 100% fully working Bios lol
If you're really looking to Oc, 990FX Sabertooth! A bunch of us have them including myself, they work, period end of story! It's almost the same as the Chrosshair V Formula/Z without all the bells and whistles for extreme overclocking. The Asrock 990Fx Extreme 9 also seems to be a really good board but I haven't owned one.

I have tried to tell the story as it really is...

...that is why I am going to tell some more of the story.

CPU: 235FSB x 19CPU multi = 4465Mhz = 4.465Ghz.
CPU_NB: 235FSB x 10CPU_NB multi = 2350Mhz.
HT Link Speed: 235FSB x 11HT LINK multi = 2585MHz.
Drop the ram speed until it is within ram speed specs and based on your previous good P95 results (you need to test for assurance) you should have nearly 4.5GHz and a raised CPU_NB for the ram to communicate with the cpu.

Done that way you should see CPU_NB speed go up in HWMonitor Free and also in HWiNFO Free.

If that all works out okay and you can juggle the FSB a few numbers like 236>237 or the like to raise the CPU speed up but ensure that you are still stable after every little tweak.

Now that you more easily see what seems a sure problem with the CPU_NB multiplier and can tweak around it as above and always know how to get the situation under control; I think I would do the adjusting first. Not just go buy another mobo. You are using air cooling which is going to not be enough after about 4.6Ghz cpu speed anyway. Maybe up to 4.7Ghz if you were really lucky. Knowing the big money some of us have in cooling to run the really big CPU speeds, I just don't really see buying a $180.00-ish motherboard and then not be cool enough to really play with the big numbers.

You can certainly buy a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and every other one has worked like it should unless the board had an electrical failure and all brands can fail. But learning the way around your Rev 4.0 boards problem, can be a good experience. It will show what happens when you begin to FSB overclock and how the other busses change speeds. Not a bad learning experience and cheap if the Rev 4.0 will get on up there setup similar to how I describe above.

The ultimate choice is actually up to you. We seldom tell less than the whole truth in these forums. Johan45 and Mandrake 4565 are all straight shooters as are some others that I cannot remember to type out their full screen name. Now you know where the Rev 4.0 is falling short and can use that as a reason to learn more about the skills of overclocking. Just my thoughts man. Good luck in either path you might choose.

RGone...

I was thinking of it today because this thread popped back up as active. XRogerX you may want to read this thread it pertains to your Gigabyte board it may be helpful.

I do not wish to jump in here, but i did just have look see if there where any bargains to help Roger, i managed to snag these 2!! ;) :thup:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876R

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877R

Both open box but at a big discount you could ask if there are OK! :shrug:

Snap 2015-02-11 at 19.00.51.png

Top right corner under the "OPTIONS, EDIT, DELETE" and "VIEW SUBMISSION HISTORY".

Next Down is "RECALCULATE RANKING" this is the one you want to PRESS!!

But you must have your "SUBMISSION SHOWING BEFORE" you press this button Roger.

Ajay.

Last edited:
Cheers SB just trying to help a good guy out if i can, makes me feel good as well, sorry for the post, but Roger is a bit lost on the HWbot been trying to help him with his scores SB! He is posting and doing a lot of good work, but not getting any scores or points, so i said he is talking to a SERVER MACHINE and it makes lots of mistakes, so i am trying to get him to push the correct button.

Then hopefully he will have some points on those SUBS he has none, its things you learn over time, do not take NO for a answer on the Bot lol!!

Ajay.

Part of it is the FX6300 at those speed really isn't going to gain a lot of Boints. I didn't start getting good points till I reached the mid 5GHz range.

well that isn't good but its ok im not giving up benching lol , I just cant get it bk to 5Ghz but now im having a problem reaching it lol

The options i see here is you get as much as you can out of the Mobo or you look at the Box Open ones i posted and try with one of those, and having these guys at your back your shore to do well.

Also the added bonus is you can up grade the CPU anytime after you have the other Mobo Roger, but its your choice and decision!

Ajay.

well that isn't good but its ok im not giving up benching lol , I just cant get it bk to 5Ghz but now im having a problem reaching it lol

Make a dice pot. Walmart by my house has Dry Ice for $1.24 a lb. Cheap super effective, get 6ghz benching speeds.

And you will get that itch for faster. More faster. More cooling. Gimmie LN2, Fu Dry Ice.

****. love me some Liquid Nitrogen. Freezed me a 4300 and hit max clock of 7200 some odd mhz. :D.

Oh such good fun.

watch CP benchoff spring time. See my sig? Yea. Gonna bench that foker and bench it hard baby.

The options i see here is you get as much as you can out of the Mobo or you look at the Box Open ones i posted and try with one of those, and having these guys at your back your shore to do well.

Also the added bonus is you can up grade the CPU anytime after you have the other Mobo Roger, but its your choice and decision!

Ajay.

ty Ajay I respect what everyone is doing in Helping me , im learning tough love here and well out spoken and you all mean well in helping me an others here

I will be getting the Bells and Whistles with the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

but I am seeing what people are saying about this board , its causing me more pain then what its worth

and for the note I am pushing this baby hard now on only Air , I might as well go all or nothing

but I joined this to bench no excuses

http://valid.x86.fr/zf8e00 1.608 Volts

Well done Roger that's a great freq for that kind of Mobo!!

Was i right in saying Johan if he gets the CHV he can drop in the 6300 and then up grade to something else later??

Ajay.

Oh ya it'll fit right in that board. Cooling is going to be the next thing he needs if he wants to run with the big boys.

Nice run Roger, just to let you know my PERSONAL comfort level. On Air I wont push my equipment past 1.50 to 1.55v and only that last 0.05v if it's a short bench like CPU-z, WPrime32 etc. If I'm running sub-zero water(ish) than I'll push into the 1.6x range. I have to admit my Rear clinches above 1.625v everytime and I haven't gone into extreme cooling yet.

It's your gear and only you are responsible for it. That said the Crosshair is one of the best boards for abusing these chips. Glad to see you getting good results with that chip. I'd hate to see you toast it before the CH-V shows up.

Back