• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 2500+ XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michaelkahl

What is a good board for this...is the Asus NForce2 Ultra board good?? A local store has one and I was thinking of getting it, the board I have right now does not support voltage or mult adjustments.

As a general rule, Asus products arn't great overclockers. The Asus nforce 2 or Asus 9800's have been known to produce very minimal overclocking results.

A better idea would be to order an ABIT or DFI board.

The NF7-S is a very versatile overclocker

my ASUS overclocks just fine...unless your going for some crazy results and are watercooled..the board will not be your bottleneck...i know temps are mine.

In a result comparison Abit and DFI boards are in a catagory above Asus boards in the way of overclocking. Regardless if you plan on watercooling or not...

I have a chip that could barely run 205 fsb on an A7N8X-Deluxe after 2 weeks of tweaking. Then after replacing it with a NF7-S using the same method of tweaking it was easily hitting +200mhz.

In my opinion, you should get the Abit NF7-s or a DFI nforce2 board. these should clock your cpu to the limit a bit easier. you can also change voltages with these two.
Vdimm on a NF7-s goes up to 2,9V without any mod's or so..
Vcore on a NF-s goes over 2 Volts (default for a AMD XP cpu is 1,65 V)

I diden't get that lucky with my NF7-S though. The highest FSB it reached was somewhere between 215 and 220 mhz. Still I'm not sure if it was the cpu or the board that didn't want to go any higher. But that doesen't bother me anymore, both cpu and mobo are sold :)

Last edited:
Burn3R said:
I diden't get that lucky with my NF7-S though. The highest FSB it reached was somewhere between 215 and 220 mhz. Still I'm not sure if it was the cpu or the board that diden't want to go any higher. But that doesen't bother me anymore, both cpu and mobo are sold :)

Most likely your ram :)

Docta_Z said:
Most likely your ram :)

I'm not so sure about that. Even with a divider it didn't want to reach higher fsb's. (5:4)

btw: I've got TwinMos PC3200 (neither BH-5 nor 6 chips :( )

Last edited:
Docta_Z said:
mmm I suppose. NB temps don't reaaaaally get sorching hot though..

Hard to say then.

Yes, but because there are lots of IO going on in there, the NB is much more sensitive then the CPU. <40 degrees is advisable

My asus a7n8x deluxe 2.0 runs my 2500+ Barton (desktop) at 2.4ghz @ 1.85v.
Dunno how you think about it but i consider that a good overclock for a nonmobile Barton. I like my asus board.

Docta_Z said:
As a general rule, Asus products arn't great overclockers.

Ok I am not partial to either AMD or Intel since I am running both. So I can't really say which one runs the best, however I am getting to like the AMD products better. I am sure there are going to arguments on both AMD and INTEL. Either way I do know that my brother has a Pentium 4 3200 running at more than 3425Mhz. He is using an ASUS Motherboard. He doesn't seem to have problems over clocking with it. He has the ASUS P4800-E. He is getting a Koolance Water cooling system... In fact he has most of the parts he needs except the Main unit. He will use Arctic Silver 5 and will be cooling the CPU, the Northbridge, and the GPU ( probably in that order as well ).
I just got him started in his journey of the overclocker.
-Bri

I have both the Asus A7N8X-Del. and Abit NF7-S

Must say with no mods the NF7-S wins HANDS DOWN.

I had my 2500xp(unlocked) with my asus and couldnt go past 204fsb stable. I took the memory from that system to use with my NF7-S/M-2600XP. Right outta the box I'm running at 213fsb and thats cause i had to leave for work. Keep in mind thats the same memory and my M-2600 has less case cooling. Highly recommend the Abit.

My asus runs cheap crucial PC3200 CL3 RAM up to FSB 210 CL2.5 stable. (dual channel mode)
You just got a pair of ram sticks that aren't working to well with the asus board. I am quite sure you can find a pair doing it the other way round.

The abit has it's advantages but i think they are having higher vcore options available and such.

mustrum said:
The abit has it's advantages but i think they are having higher vcore options available and such.

Don't forget moddable bios - and like 1500 different bios'es avaliable on the net, specially designed for all sorts of different setups.

I've heard of guys getting +20 fsb by flashing a tweaked and optimized bios.

I've personally been able to add +12 fsb because of a bios.

Back