• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best tablet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see only Pentium Gold based Microsoft tablets under $500. I guess that cheaper than $700-800 will be hard to find, and you may faster get a 2 in 1 laptop with better specs.

You can get something like this for any tablet
Or a compact keyboard and small Bluetooth mouse. Personally, I hate touchpads, and using the touch screens is still weird for work.

Last edited:
I will think on it, but I am still buying parts for my new gaming Folding rig.:)
Fixed it.

I've read through this thread about as fast as I could and I'm confused. Do you want a laptop or a tablet? Are you trying to use a tablet like a laptop? If she's just going to browse Etsy and Marshal Fields/Facebook/ etc., Does she really want a keyboard? If she will use it while traveling, would she want a keyboard? Tablet, to me, is less than 13 inches and used for looking at. Like reading and browsing. Not for writing and researching. That's more for a laptop or desktop to my way of thinking.

Convertible laptops try to pretend to be tablets and might be a better way to go than a tablet pretending to be a laptop. Her eyesight will play a role in this too.

Fixed it.

I've read through this thread about as fast as I could and I'm confused. Do you want a laptop or a tablet? Are you trying to use a tablet like a laptop? If she's just going to browse Etsy and Marshal Fields/Facebook/ etc., Does she really want a keyboard? If she will use it while traveling, would she want a keyboard? Tablet, to me, is less than 13 inches and used for looking at. Like reading and browsing. Not for writing and researching. That's more for a laptop or desktop to my way of thinking.

Convertible laptops try to pretend to be tablets and might be a better way to go than a tablet pretending to be a laptop. Her eyesight will play a role in this too.
:ROFLMAO: I see that.
Post magically merged:

Well, I am not looking for a laptop so now that I have thought it over that one looks good and it's not an apple :bang head. We would not need a keyboard or pen after all its touch screen.

Here is a bit of reading to help you out.

Laptops and Desktops I run Windows. Phones and tablets I run Android. That's just how I roll. I find that Android does exactly what I need in a tablet and phone for browsing and reading. At $500 you should get a very good screen, long life battery and some good speed. Not great in any category but good to very good compared to a $1,000 tablet.

You should define what's important to the user. Good crisp screen? Long battery life? Larger size? Compatibly should not be an issue even if you did cross over to the dark side. <cough>Apple<cough>.

If you don't know what's important to the user, your chance of buying too little or too much is great and low satisfaction is more than possible. Define your need first then compare hardware.

Last edited:
Here is a bit of reading to help you out.

Laptops and Desktops I run Windows. Phones and tablets I run Android. That's just how I roll. I find that Android does exactly what I need in a tablet and phone for browsing and reading. At $500 you should get a very good screen, long life battery and some good speed. Not great in any category but good to very good compared to a $1,000 tablet.

You should define what's important to the user. Good crisp screen? Long battery life? Larger size? Compatibly should not be an issue even if you did cross over to the dark side. <cough>Apple<cough>.

If you don't know what's important to the user, your chance of buying too little or too much is great and low satisfaction is more than possible. Define your need first then compare hardware.
You are right I think I will look at all android & Windows tablets.

There are a number of Windows tablets on Amazon. Have you decided on what size screen you want? That makes a big difference for some people.

Also, besides tablets there are 2-1 laptops which have a rotatable screen so you use it either as a tablet or laptop. The only downside I see is that they might be heavier than a tablet of comparable size.

Back