• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Escapades: socket 939 Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester (D0)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Yes, once again it is time to overclock another socket 939 CPU.

This time up on the test bench is the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester D0 stepping (ADA3000DIK4BI).

I'm starting this one out the same way I always do, seeing how fast it can go at stock voltage, and then raising the voltage up to go further.

1.8GHz (stock): 1.36V
2.0GHz: 1.38V
2.2GHz: 1.46V
2.3GHz: 1.55V

I am impressed by how cool this CPU runs. At idle with stock frequency and voltage I'm getting 27-30°C, and at load around 33-34°C. While overclocked it has come up a little bit to 29-32°C at idle, and 42°C under load. Still, that's pretty cool as far as I'm concerned.

It achieved a 200MHz overclock up to 2GHz with a little lower than stock voltage (1.38V, stock is 1.4V). The jump up to 2.2GHz required a bit more of a boost in voltage than I expected, bringing it up by .08V going to 1.46V.

I'm now testing 2.4GHz and it's looking like I'll hit its max pretty soon since I'm having to run 1.63V at the moment (at least enough to run SuperPi, PiFast, and UCBench 2011). I haven't tested prime95 for stability yet. I'll have to stop if it needs 1.7V or more to remain stable, since I only have air cooling and 1.7V is pretty much what I've defined as the danger zone for air cooling.

My Athlon 6000+ seems to clock the same as you're describing. Runs cool with slight overclock but then really needs the Cpu V to start pushing it. I've had mine up as high as 3600, 3k being stock. We are a little spoiled with the 1k+ overclocks on the newer chips. :)

Well, 2.4GHz appears to be stable with 1.65V. I'm running Prime95 now, and it's been going for over a half hour now with no problems.

Probably won't get much higher on the CPU speed, doubt 2.5GHz will be possible.

A 600MHz overclock for a Winchester with air cooling isn't too bad though.

I'm surprised, temperatures still haven't gone up by much. I'm at full load and only hitting 43°C max.

Full load @ 1.65 cpu v and 43c? Them there are indeed some good temps!

Yep, not bad at all.

Prime95 failed after 2hrs 49mins, but going that long would likely be good enough for me. There isn't anything I run that normally takes longer than that to do. I'm just benching it anyway, it's not like I'm planning to run this thing 24/7.

Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester 2.4GHz Prime 95.JPG

DSCN2791.JPG

So it's prime stable 2 hours @ 2.4, pretty sweet! I love the USPS benching station. :D

Tech question for you, I've had an issue with my 6000+ in the past, that I can't wrap my head around. It runs fine @ 3600 it doesn't matter what combination of fsb and multi I use it will boot fine and usually bench at that speed without a problem. If I set it 1 mhz over 3600 it wont go past the mobo splash screen, I get an overclock failed message and then it proceeds to set everything back to default. Do you think that the chip just isn't capable of going over 3600 or is it the motherboard causing the issue? This is the mobo

I've had an issue with my 6000+ in the past, that I can't wrap my head around. It runs fine @ 3600 it doesn't matter what combination of fsb and multi I use it will boot fine and usually bench at that speed without a problem. If I set it 1 mhz over 3600 it wont go past the mobo splash screen, I get an overclock failed message and then it proceeds to set everything back to default. Do you think that the chip just isn't capable of going over 3600 or is it the motherboard causing the issue? This is the mobo

More to it than that. It's not the mobo or the processor. Is this your daily rig?

What bios revision?

EDIT- don't want to hijack this thread. You can PM me or start another thread and link me there if you wish.

Ok I'll check the BIOS and start a new thread, agreed with not hijacking TT's thread. I'll see if I can get on it tomorrow. Thanks Mr.Scott.

Back