• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 1.9 ghz what MOBO for OCing should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZN

AznSniper
Im getting a 1.8 or 1.9 hoping to OC it to around 2.5 or more with air cooled. Ive seen very high OCing with very little cooling even seen alot with factoy HSF. Also what Ram should i use? DDR or RDRAM. ABIT KH7 ll seems to be comming up alot for the p4 what do u guyz think? BTW this will be my first Pentium CPU, ive had nothing but AMD in the past.

Get the 1.8a Northwood + RDRAM w/ Abit TH7II. The Northwood doesn't come in 1.9 flavours. The DDR is mainly just for overclocking at high FSBs but, P4 should use all the memory bandwidth it offers which I recommended you RDRam. I would HIGHLY Recommending you waiting for the b flavours (133 bus speeds) and the 1066 RDRam. It'll take another hit of performance.

Last edited:
northwood A... i dont understand what that is. the only thing i know is P4 comes in 423 or 478 pins, is that the diff? ofcourse i want the 478 pins. no idea what northwood is or means. 1033bus for ram, nice when is that comming out? thx for th reply, u seem to know ur P4s, can u school me alittle more about them? what are the differences in the P4s?

btw u said 1.8a with RDRAM, but then later in the paragraph u recommended DDR, so which one is it now?

are u telling me that the northwood are the only ones with 512KB cache? So even if i get the 478pin i will have to double check for it to be the northwood cuzz those have the higher cache? correct me if im wrong but didnt u say the 1.9 didnt come in northwood? y is that? thx for the heads up, ill be sure to get the northwood when buying my P4.

Yes the only 478 socket pins with 512K cache are Northwoods so you must double check that. The Northwood just don't come in 100mhz increments because they can go higher that just 100mhz increments.

NO1 said:
are u telling me that the northwood are the only ones with 512KB cache? So even if i get the 478pin i will have to double check for it to be the northwood cuzz those have the higher cache? correct me if im wrong but didnt u say the 1.9 didnt come in northwood? y is that? thx for the heads up, ill be sure to get the northwood when buying my P4.

Yodums pretty much got it...

Northwood's (1.6a, 1.8a, 2.0a, 2.2+) have a die shrink to .13 micron and have 512k L2 cache.

Williamettes (any p4 upto 2.0 WITHOUT the "a") is still .18 micron (might be .15... not sure) and has 256 L2 cache...

The william's started out socket 423 and switched to socket 478...

The Nothy's come in socket 478 ONLY...

Just make sure the P4 you get (if under 2.2) has the "a" after the speed.

major thx for the heads up guyz, i would have made a mistake buying a 1.9
Knowlegde is power, there is alot of good people on this forum, thx again...

thanks for helping us newbies

I learned a bunch. I didn't know that about the 1.9 either as i asked in my posts.

Any dates on release of those new motherboards? I want to build a system while the wife still has the green light up. LOL

Dave

when you get the 478 p4, go either rambus or ddr

Only board that is good for rambus is the aboved mention.

If you are going ddr do a 4BDA you won't be dissapointed. If you want to see post after post of compliments on it head over to the hardocp forum under the owners thread in stricly intel.

Depending on your budget, I would get a 2.0GHz or 1.8GHz Pentium 4 with an Abit TH7II motherboard. To get the most out of your P4 system I would stick only with RDRAM until Intel releases their dual channel DDR motherboards sometime at the end of the year. (They already have dual channel out, but their for the Xeon CPUs). RDRAM is currently the only memory that can provide enough bandwidth to feed the NW P4s especially with its larger cache. And as others said, when buying a new Pentium 4 make sure it is Socket 478, and is the Northwood CPUs. This can be seen by the "A" next to the CPU speed for CPUs 2GHz and slower and also when ordering you should see 512KB L2 Cache or something like that as opposed to 256KB L2 Cache. The Northwood CPUs come in 200MHz increments starting at 1.6GHz and up to 2.4GHz currently. (Note the 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz don't have an "A" in their name since the older P4s stopped at 2GHz)

If you plan on upgrading soon I would wait until next week too, since Intel is cutting prices on the P4s April 14th.

how about mobo

Everyone is talking about the new mother boards for intel. Is that worth waiting for, so we can put the next chip in. I heard it has 533 mhz bus or something? Please help out. Maybe i should wait a few more weeks and get the new mobo? not sure what to do.

Dave

The new boards with 533MHz FSB should be coming out sometime in mid to late May when Intel releases the 533MHz Pentium 4 Processors. If you have not ordered anything yet or are still deciding what components to get, then I would wait until May. On the other hand if you have stuff already or on the way, then I would wait until April 14th when Intel is suppose to cut prices.

hmmmm

hmmm

do i wait or do i go for it. hmmmmm. I think if prices are good i may go for it. otherwise i could wait. I don't want an intel board so i would be waiting even longer. I have to research these mobo's more. Man this is like hard work!!! hehe

Dave

PC1066 RDRAM and 133 P4 "B" version ???

Yodums,

Does anyone know if PC1066 and the "b" version P4 will be compatiable with our current TH7II-RAID boards? Will we be able to use this newer RDRAM and P4 with the original i850?

I have heard very little about the soon to be released Intel 850"E" version chipset. What is up with that?

Grant

you can use the new PC1066 in the 850 chipset that uses PC800

Its like putting PC133 into a board made for PC100

It works fine, but it will only work at the old speed.

But.... Its good for overclocking, as most of the time Memory crapping out will prevent you from going farther

More overhead

btw for the moment the rambus does have the better benchmarks, but it looks like rambus is dying, check out the forum under "strickly intel" over in the hardforums. Looks like intel is not going to be making another rambus chipset. Sis supossidly is working on one, but who knows. It's still a great buy, but if you want to be able to use your memory again, don't buy rambus.

hey guys I bought the 1.9 when I first came over to intel and I was crushed when I found out the difference between the NW and williamettes. However, has anyone oc the 1.9 at all and if so by how much ( i will keep the stock hsf for now). Also which bios are they using(heard about Mr.N's new 39c). I have 800 rambus and the th711-raid. I am new at ocing but I have the bug. James

The regular 4's weren't as overclockable but I believe they do overclock to a degree, I think you should be able to get 100mhz out of it or so if ya give it a try.

Good luck!

Back