• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.26 -> 3.06 + HT, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

For my system in my sig, I'm considering getting a P4 3.06 w/ HT to replace my 2.26 GHz P4. I'd likely sell the 2.26 to regain some of the cash spent on the 3.06. Obviously, that's an 800 MHz core speed increase, and HT could be of some use. I'm primarily a gamer, so I'm wondering if you think it'd be worth the money? If I do this, I'm thinking I can probably hold out for another 6-9 months before I have to upgrade anything else or build another system. The 3.06 will be the best processor I can pair this memory and mobo with (since I can only use a 533 MHz one), which were pretty expensive, so I'll want to hold on to them for a while since they're still competitive.

Also, RDRAM and this motherboard don't overclock too well so pushing this 2.26 isn't really an option :) (150 max FSB in BIOS, have to set RDRAM to 3X rather than 4X to get up to 148, not a whole lot in terms of OC'ing options). I would be able to get a better OC out of the 3.06 because of the higher multiplier, though.

Usually I wouldn't suggest upgrading to a processor in pretty much the same family, but in your case it might help you, a lot. Thats a pretty good clock speed increase and HT does have its advantages. You should see improvements in running games, and probably even more in just less desktop application lag. If your on a tight budget, go ahead get it. If you can I would suggest saving up for a new system in a few months.

It will help you out alot I am using a 2.4B clocked at 3.09GHZ but it lack HT but other then that it works really good I can play all my games with out lag.

I changed from a 2.4b to 3.06b running 1066 rdram the HT makes a big difference mine is oc'd to 3.4 been running @ that speed since january 04 crunching 24/7.
My biggest problem is not being able to hold fsb for pci & agp slots, when i go over 150 fsb problems start.

Yep, AGP + PCI lock would be nice... oh well this system isn't really for OC'ing (except for the video card).

Back