• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.06 - how fast can I go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spdorsey

Registered
Hello

I'm running an Intel P4 3.06 in a Shuttle SB51GB with their liquid cooled heatsink. It runs well at 3.06, and I'm pretty sure that this sink is rated to cool 3.2 GHz processors.

I was able to mess around with the voltage settings in the BIOS. I was able to crank the number up to 140 and that got me a stable system at 3.21 GHz.

Can I go higher?

Did I set it correctly?

Thanks

-----------------S

Im not an Intel expert but I think maybe 3.2Ghz to 3.3Ghz is probably about the limit of that CPU without going into full blown water setups with crazy voltage boosts perhaps.

My 3.06 is running at 3.45 GHz in my RDRAM setup with the retail HS/Fan. It might go higher but 150 MHz is it for PC1066 RDRAM.

My 3.06 is at 3633Mhz at 158 4x with PC1066 RDRAM. :) I do have watercooling, but watercooling isn't like phase-change in that it increases your overclocks a lot. On the other hand, a mini-case may limit your cooling capacity so much that it may indeed lower the max overclock you get.
I ran this chip with the stock sink for a short time (loud btw), and there was a sizeable difference between my temp readouts then and now. It is conceivable that this has an effect. In other words: get proper cooling. :D

Maybe it's good to also note that individual mileage can vary a lot, even with theoretically identical setups. It's fun to toot one's own horn (if i got that expression right hehe) once in a while, but the answer to your question is in your own hands- take it as far as you can and you'll know. :)

at your 140fsb OC what are the temps like?

is it stable, if so, have you tried increasing the FSB more?

maybe you would need to increase your vCore in order to get it higher, though this depends on the temps, and offcourse the OC'ing capability of your CPU.....

since its a 3.06 your standard fsb would be 133mhz, thus this would give you a multiplier of 23, so it is possible the multi is high enough for it to become unstable pretty damn soon..

Back