• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Northwood 2.0A Ghz - Temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dxiw

Disabled
I am using a P4 Northwood 2.0A Ghz chip on my Soyo Fire Dragon motherboard with the retail intel hsf. I am getting temps of 48C or about 120F as read by the mobo in the bios. as i see that many reviews have there temps in the low 30's?Are these temps normal for a P4

My 1.8A runs idle at about 33-35C. That’s with my Thermaltake Dragon Orb. I am fixing to switch to a Volcano 7+ and I am expecting at least 2-3C drop in temp.

You have to look at your whole system. Do you have any case fans?, where is the computer located?, Is it in an enclosed area?, Is it around a heat source?, Is anything restricting air in your system?, Is there anything close you your CPU that could be attributing to the heat?, Things like that.

If you do not have good ventilation in your system it will cause everything to run a little hot. Try opening up your case and seeing what it runs at then. That should give you a good idea of circulation in your case, and if you need to add a couple of fans.

Also what program are you using to check temps? I use hardware monitor and I like it. And it seems to be pretty accurate.

You can try opening the case up but I don't think it'll help much. Even though you have the side off, there is still no airflow running through the case and that doesn't help much at all. If you have case fans blowing into the case, try taking a small personal fan and put it on the open side of the case and point it so it sucks air out of the case. I had good results doing this when trying to keep the temps of my PIII down back when I was using a PEP66 with a 72W peltier on it, which heated my case up a lot.

If the temps don't improve much by doing this, then you should check into better cooling... what Intel provides with the PIV isn't really the greatest... according to the heatsink roundup done here.

Opening up your case will help some. It will let hot air escape that other wise could not. It will let you determine if your case has enough ventilation. In this I mean intakes and discharges. If your case if all closed up, the hot air has nowhere to go. Thus ambient temps are higher and thus component temps will be to.

that is high, allthough they can take it...
i run a p4 1.6GHz o/c to 2.08GHz and it runs in the low 30's idle and upper 30's after a good 3 hrs of quake 3 ... did you apply thermal adhesive on the chip before putting the heatsink on? also are you using the stock intel hsf??

I have a P4 1.6a running @ 2.3 on an Abit SD7-533 and my idle temps according to SiSoft Sandra are 39c idle and never above 50c when folding and playing UT,MCO, for hours in a room temp(according to ac) is 78f. I'm @ 1.525v and 4-5-2-1 settings. I'm going to try and go higher. All stable here with those temps.

Nomjr

Temp problem with P4 2Aghz and sound problem

well i had the intel stofk hsf and i have my northwood 2.0 o/c'd to 2.2ghz and whther its o/ced or not i still get the same temperatures. With the intel hsf im getting 42-43C conintous idle and 43-44 under stress. Now with the Thermaltake P4 Volcano 478 i get around 40-41C but after a while it still reaches 43C like the intel fan. And i have checked i am making good contact to processor and do have a nice thin layer of artic silver on the chip i do have 3 sunon case fans btw and get more or less the same temps with the cover on and off. All these temps are as reported by the mobo, and i think the mobo maybe wrong, because i have the enermax temp monitor and i put the probe right by the core o the chip like on the green part not the core but barely touching the core (the silver part) and it reports temps of 29-34 C. So im not sure which one to trust, as far as o/cing i have a Soyo P4I Fire Dragon and i can o/c past 2.2ghz much, i hit 2.3ghz stable boott but crashed right when it entered windows. And at 2.4ghz i get BIOS Checksum Error. and it wont even boot. I should be able to o/c a 2.0 ghz northwood chi to more than 2.2 ghz , i haven't changed the voltage because id ont know what the default voltage is and my bios goes from 1.1v to somewhere aorund 2v and i dont know where the default would be and what i need to do to fix it, i would really like to see 2.4ghz out of that chip. Also, is there any way to quiet down my case, the sunon case fans and the tt volcano 478 are killing me they are around 37db each i really want to get my whole system into the sub 25db range i saw some stealth silent case fans but i dont know which processor hsf to go with any help with this would be greatly appreciated. And also using the hardware monitor on the board in win xp i get the temps above but in bios when i boot iwalways get much higher temps how do you explain this (bios usu reports 47-48C)? Thanx for any help with any of the issues addressed above.

I get 41 C idle P4 1.60A @ 2.30Ghz default voltage, retail hsf and AS3.

At full load, I get 50 C. Room temp ~ 24 C

Back