• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WDH memory problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adrayic

I am building a system for a friend and have run into a strange problem. The basic specs are:

E6400
P5WDH WiFi
OCZ Platinum PC2 6400 (2x 1Gb)

I have tested the system w/ dual prime at 3.0Ghz w/ 1.30V vcore (bios) for 12 hours and it has passed prime at 3.2 Ghz w/ 1.32V vcore (bios) for about 18 hours.

In order to boot past 350 fsb, I had to change the memory timings to "Enable SPD". The SPD timings on this memory are very relaxed (5-6-6-18). The memory spec is DDR800 @ 4-5-4-15 but I am unable to set this in the bios while booting above 350FSB... I just get a black screen. Even if I set the memory to 5-6-6-18, it still wont boot... which is very strange because thats what "Enable SPD" sets the timing at. Now I am sure the memory is good because I can run DDR800 (4-5-4-15) at stock CPU frequency while running a divider. I'm thinking maybe this is a chipset problem.... I have tried increasing chipset voltage to no avail. I am at a loss... I really dont know what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Adrayic

Tried 1.8 - 2.1V. I'm sure its not the ram because I have already made sure that it runs at DDR 800 via dividers.

Anybody else have this board running 400+ FSB with "Enable SPD" option disabled in the bios?

vCore: 1.425v
vMCH: 1,60v
vICH: 1,05v
vDIMM: 2,1V
PCI-E Freq: 100.
PCI -33.3
disable hyper path

Microcode Update and VT are enabled
All the rest disabled

Figured out the problem with the help of Gautum. It seems as though I'm not the only one with problems with this board. Apparently some of these boards just will not boot past 350-360 unless the "Enable SPD" option is checked in the bios. Enabling the SPD timings forces the tRFC to 42 clocks and the memory is able to boot / run without incident. When I manually adjust the timings (any of the timings), the tRFC is set to 28 (at least while running 1:1). This is too tight for some memory and requires an increased voltage in order for the system to boot. My system took 2.3V to boot @ 375FSB, and even then it failed prime after a few minuntes. 400FSB was impossible, even w/ 2.4V. I know for certain that this is the problem because after booting into windows at 375x8 (3ghz), I manually adjusted the tRFC with MemSet (to 42 clocks) and everything worked like a charm (prime passed half hour or so before I stopped it). Now... if only ASUS had an option to change tRFC in the bios..... I really miss all the options that came with my NF4 Ultra-D board. Hopefully enough people will complain to ASUS so that the next bios revision solves this problem but I am skeptical. Another option is to manually edit the SPD timings on the memory but that voids the warranty and I have no wish to do that because this is not my system. I'm just happy we figured this out.

-Adrayic

1407 or later bios helps also, I keep hearing people saying they want ultra-d type options and I dont understand it, I too loved the ultra-d but when I can OC 1200 mhz by changing 266 to 400 and adjusting 5voltages slightly you can keep all your tweaking lol I just dont have the time.

hehe, yeah, but you also have a working board / memory combination. I'm sure if I had a combination that worked without a hitch, I would be happy too! Its not like i'm asking for 70 extra options.... I just want the option to change tRFC! :D

-Adrayic

Back