• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pausing in game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I reformatted, and it didnt fix it. It also reformatted the drive, all screwy again. Hung at 0percent for 5 minutes, then went fine till 49percent, and hung on each percet after for about 3 minutes a piece up until around 58. Then it went fine to 100percent.

I reformatted my old drive, and it hung at 0 too, but not for as long. It hung around 60 percent, but not for too long, then went fine to 100.

So, pretty sure its the hard drive.

Are there any programs that can test my hard drive for flaws, that doesnt use a floppy disk? I dont have a working floppy drive.

The problem is I dont have a receipt since I saw the info entered into their computer, I thought I wouldnt need it. If it is the hard drive, is there anyway to send it directly to the manufacturer for a new one, without a receipt or packaging? I bought it in just a static bag.

Im going to install a game on the old drive, and see if it does it on that one too.

Ive got the same problems....its your CPU/HDD. Run P-95 it seems to help. After running P95 the stutters smooth out. (ive got mine @ 2.3ghz) Ive found that its directally related to your PCI speed. VIA dosnt lock the PCI bus. So the higher the bus the more errors.

Those stutters you see are HDD errors / corruption. Check the condition of your HDD. If its not your HDD then your CPU is giving bad instructions. Stress out the errors.

Keep in mind you gotta break a computer in. Anytime you get a new part put in it, it will act screwy until its breaks itself in. (like a car)

Ok, but Im on my old hard drive, and it is working fine. No stutters. So, it was the new hard drive, and isnt the cpu.

I dont know what you mean by PCI, and this happened when I didnt have VIA 4 in 1 drivers on my motherboard.

Ill run p-95, whatever that is, if it doesnt need a floppy disk.
Also, I cant run scandisk to check the errors, because it says I dont have permission, or something similiar.

How can I gain permission?

The PCI bus controls rudimentary functions of a PC (sound cards / CD-ROMS, HDD) When you OC the PCI bus the # of errors skyrocket.

Via dosnt lock the PCI bus. So when you up the FSB to the CPU it also OCs the PCI bus (which is really bad) The higher the errors the more likely the comp will crash.

Unless you defrag everyday and check disk every other.You risk corrupting your OS. Im gettin stuttering from an OCed PCI bus. Now that I droped the OC down a bit, it has gone away. Stuttering is direcrtally related to the # of errors produced.

Like I said these errors are either caused by an overly OCed PCI bus or a bad HDD

Hmm, well I did turn it up for a bit, but only for like half hour. Not too high though, only to like, 138 from 133. I dont know if that was around the same time, but maybe.

...Update, getting stranger, After runing 3dmark03 several runs stuttering is gone + its 10mhz higher on the FSB.

I guess its one of those phantom problems

I ran a zeroing program on the hard drive from Western Digital, and it fixed the format hang problem, and the slow loading of windows. Testing it with games now, and it seems to be fine.

Last edited:
Back