• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelting the C3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simon389

has anybody ever pelted the Cyrix C3 core??? Can it be overclocked??

What an interesting project! Hmmmmm..
Although it probably can't OC very well, it sure would be a unique system!

Yeah. I want to do this.:)

Stock 1GHz C3 max output = 13W. Should OC good, actually. Not much cache in it. :)

Last edited:
I'm trying to get one right now, if anybody has one to sell me. I'm thinking the same thing- a pelt on that sucka should make it really fly :burn:

a pelt on one of those would be WAY overkill. Heck, the thing doesn't even require a heatsink, let alone a fan.

it would be interesting though... if you do do it, let us know how it turns out.

Hmm, and i have my extra pep66 with pelt, copper plate, all ASed together, with my screamer laying around.... If i can find one for like $10 i'll try. I wouldn't pay more because it will be replacing my celeron 433@540 and i think that is actually a faster chip.

hooziewhatsit said:
a pelt on one of those would be WAY overkill.

Killing it is something I actually would be afraid of. Make sure it is at least folding or running prime 5 all the time to try and keep it from freezing.

thier is nothing wrong with freezing a CPU...
condensation is what you need to worry about, and that happens once you get past the dew point and that is well above freezing....
but freezing a CPU can do nothing but help it.

oh and by the way, pelt based topics should be in extreem cooling

jay said:
thier is nothing wrong with freezing a CPU...
condensation is what you need to worry about, and that happens once you get past the dew point and that is well above freezing....
but freezing a CPU can do nothing but help it.

oh and by the way, pelt based topics should be in extreem cooling

I know extreme cold temps can harm CPUs, I just don't know how cold. I would figure mbm has the low temp warning for some reason though.

@The Spyder

20-40 watt Pelt wont be any good unless you are trying to cool a 15-20watt CPU...

pelts need to be able to pump a MIN of 1.5-2.0X the heat output of the part it is cooling. If not, it will do more harm than good.

@Satan, you really dont need to worry about a plet getting a CPU so cold taht it harms it....
rember they do make compresors (such as vaporchill) that freeze CPU's.... and even with the best of pelts, i would like to see one get a cpu -40C (as they normally run +40)

ive overclocked a 750mhz to 820 WITHOUT a HEATSINK

dont have the money right now to go and get anything else for cooling. it gets unstable after 850... even tho its not really hot

i plan to do some experimenting soon

satan said:

I thought they needed a passive heatsink? So they really run with no heatsink?

They need a passive heatsink. But at 13 watts, any old 40w TEC element would freeze that sucker good.

the newest ones might overclock well they are .13 micro chips like the northwoods and thoroughbred xps they use very low voltage they have small cache and their floating popint units run at half the speed of the rest of the chip ~~~drools as he sees a vapochilled c3 screaming for its life at 2.3 vcore~~~~

Haha.. yeah, the chip needs a passive heatsink and runs at like 0.02V :D

I guess a vapochill and 2.3 Vcore would make some differens :)

i think the stock vcore is actually 1.35 votls by the way u can change the multiplier from inside windows on these cpus with cpuid in the tweaks section

Worth noting, the socket 370 is on it's way out because it can't handle high clock frequencies too well. There aren't enough signal grounds in it to keep the chips noise free at the higher clock speeds. This is also why the socket 462 will only last so long. Higher clock frequencies necessitate more socket pins so that signal grounds can be intermingled and the signaling kept clean.

Same reason why Intel ditched the socket 423 for the P4 and went to 478 pins.

strokeside said:
arkan, do you mean the C3 cpu's are multiplier unlocked, or that you changed the FSB in Windows?

I believe they are multiplier unlocked. I remember that was one of the selling points of the C3, low wattage, low temps, and no multiplier lock. Still no L2 cache, so they still suck.

Back