• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium mobile chip question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

datafiend

Can someone explain the benifits of a mobile chip verses a P4 for say like a dell laptop. I'm in the market for a laptop and was wondering how the two compare, I'm looking at the M1.6 chip, is it slower than say the p4 chip. I know the battery life of the mobile or centrino is longer, but what would you buy. I already have a gaming machine. Thanks...

The Pentium-M architecture is quite different from that of a normal P4-Mobile. You might scoff at 1.6ghz, but that little processor is probably quite able to outperform a Pentium 2.4 or even higher depending on what you're doing.

It's the same basic instruction-per-clock as a Pentium 3 desktop, combined with the quad-pumped bus and double-pumped ALU from a Pentium 4. But rather than being a wierd combo, it also brings significantly lower thermal ratings and power draw and also has a built-from-the-ground-up adjustable clockrate. None of the cheap Intel Speedstep "Half clock or Full clock", rather there are TONS of intermediary clockrates available from the full 1.6ghz all the way down to 250mhz.

Right now I'm typing to you on a Thinkpad R50 powered by a 1.6M; it's been running wirelessly for the last two and a half hours and is still reporting 63% of it's battery life available. With 512mb of ram, a 30gb disk, running the built-in wireless and keeping the display active, you start to get the idea how these puppies can really save you some battery life...

If you already have a gaming rig, then get a good Centrino Technology laptop that comes with the Pentium-M processor and the built-in wireless. Get a decent video option like the 9600 mobile, and you'll be able to work OR game anywhere you like.

I've used this laptop to watch two entire DVD's (Schindlers List being one of them) and still have battery left to surf for half an hour. It really is that good :)

Well thanks for the information, sounds like the route I will take, I'm looking at the Dell 8600 with a radeon9700 64. I really wont use it to do a lot of gaming thats why I decided not to get the 128 9700 radeon. Do you think the 64 will play most games. Like I said it wont be my gaming machine.

Oh yeah, that will definately be useable. I figure you could have acceptable framerates on UT2K3/4, SplinterCell, RtCW, Halo, even FarCry on a rig like that granted that you use medium details.

Back