• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shot the same day as my last shared image, only in the morning when the hoarfrost was at its best. This is my 50mm AI-S at work, almost wide open at f2... I don't use it often enough lately.

Hope you're not tired of seeing this place... I have one more extra special shot from here done and ready for sharing on Christmas Day.

View attachment 172510
Wolf...I think you should just buy that house already.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

It's been a while since I've posted anything, so here's a shot from my hike the day after Christmas. Snow has been lacking so far this year, so it was nice to finally see.

View attachment 172760
Incredible image to behold. Luv'it! THANK YOU Dark

- - - Updated - - -

Last night. I can't wait to go full frame - could have used a bit more usable low light sensitivity at this place.

View attachment 172833
Reminds me the X-Files starts up again soon. *wink*

- - - Updated - - -

60D, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, 47mm focal, f/6.3, 1/13 sec, ISO-400
24158394656_c96935ded7_b.jpg
Green Tree Python by ATMNSIDE, on Flickr
Okay...NOW you are starting to creep me out a'bit ATMINSIDE. *will be looking under bed before sleep tonight*

Something a bit different today. I rarely give the 50mm AI-S a chance to flex its muscles lately, so I brought it out today. Full frame shot at f2. Love how sharp this lens can be. It's a perfect portrait lens for a crop sensor camera.

Now if the dog would just look at the camera for a change...

DSC_5802.jpg

Woo Happy New Year! I love all the winter pictures from everyone!
I went away for new years and came home and got very sick... So tonight I FINALLY got to try out the 50mm I got for myself for my birthday in December! So far it's awesome I can't wait to take out in the daylight.

DSC_0156.jpg
DSC_0182.jpg

The sun is out, so riding this weekend! At last! I hope to get some more shots. Feedback and tips about the lens is always awesome.

I hope everyone is off to a photography filled start to the year!

Feedback and tips about the lens is always awesome.

f1.8? If so, it shouldn't be much different from mine. Prepare to fall in love with it. Mine's easily the sharpest lens in the bag. Watch your depth of field though... it gets crazy shallow. In my puppy dog shot above, only his eye and nose are in focus. Everything else is blurred to some extent. And that's at f2 - not quite wide open. It's near impossible for me to manually focus wide open - the DOF is that shallow.

Then again, you have an advantage in that you can autofocus your version. I have to do everything manually on mine, and because I shoot a D5100 it's all guesswork as to the right settings. Easy to mess up the shot. But that's kind of what I like about it - it makes me really stop and think about what I'm doing.

f1.8? If so, it shouldn't be much different from mine. Prepare to fall in love with it. Mine's easily the sharpest lens in the bag. Watch your depth of field though... it gets crazy shallow. In my puppy dog shot above, only his eye and nose are in focus. Everything else is blurred to some extent. And that's at f2 - not quite wide open. It's near impossible for me to manually focus wide open - the DOF is that shallow.

Then again, you have an advantage in that you can autofocus your version. I have to do everything manually on mine, and because I shoot a D5100 it's all guesswork as to the right settings. Easy to mess up the shot. But that's kind of what I like about it - it makes me really stop and think about what I'm doing.

Yes! f1.8 and so far I really like it, very excited to do more with it. I took both shots at f3.2 and manually focused the second one. I'm quite good at forgetting I can toggle to manual on the lens... But I'll hit that point of frustration where my camera tries to focus on everything and then I remember! I think this lens has already made me think more (which I expected) and will definitely help me improve. I'm excited to see!

I'm mainly trying to just practice doing everything in manual mode, I think doing so with this lens will be awesome. I'm kinda liking the fact that you pointed out, stops to make you think. I really like that it made me move around and think about way more than I previously was. It's too bad the shop was so squishy, will be pulling bikes out tomorrow for a small shoot and then ride. I definitely underestimated the lust for this lens! :p

I again forgot to ask this question, about filters...
I've done some looking into but not much, I had honestly never heard of it until I got back into the camera game. My friend had mentioned I could grab some at london drugs for $10. Saw some in camera store for... A lot. I was wondering how necessary they are, huge variance in quality of the filters themselves/picture, is it worth spending the money for them, etc. I know I will want one for my one lens I will take to dirt bike events as rocks flying around is a very regular thing of course and will probably look into some things to keep my camera safe!

Your friend is probably talking about a UV filter. They are great for basic protection and don't really have much, if any, effect on images. I think I've put a UV on all of my lenses.

BTW, nice shots with that 50. :)

I always use a UV filter, simply to protect the lens. Same reason you're thinking, to deflect rocks.
A lot of times I'm using a polarizing filter in addition to this, between the lens and UV filter, to knock glare down.

95% of the time, there's no filter on my lenses. The less glass between the sensor and the scene, the better methinks. I might put the UV filter on if I'm somewhere really dusty or sandy and I think the wind is going to sandblast my front element for me, but for the most part I don't want anything at all on my lenses if I can help it. I might change my brain on that if/when I get the two $1k lenses I want, but for now I don't worry about it too much.

The only filter I use with any regularity is the variable ND, and I haven't touched it in months because I mostly use it for daytime lightning. Even the polarizer rarely comes out... usually I only need that one for really harsh light or to control reflections. Since I don't do much shooting at high noon, glare is rarely an issue for me.

Have some more whiteness. This is one of the two big shots I wanted to get this winter, and I got the other one about a month ago. I can now put the camera away until it's time to buy the D610.

Not saying I will do that, I'm just saying I can ;)

I was worried about accessing this place. The road is not very friendly at the best of times, let alone winter. I need a 4x4.

DSC_5933.jpg

OW,

You are disgustingly awesome..................... :thup:

Can you give us some history on those abandoned homes?

Back