• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Platform choise and Second opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

potolip

Hi all.

im building. this thread is gonna evolve into a second opinion and compability check when im done choosing my components.
i have most of of the components figured out, but i dont know what platform or CPU to choose:shrug:

the computer im building is for home use, but i think im gonna try to build quite powerfull so i can keep it around for some years.
Ofc gaming will be a large portion of the usage, so ill need something that gives me good framerate on future games. i also want to be able to multitask a lot because closing programs aint my strong side. i would say pretty standard usage, right.:D

im gonna be using Asus or Gigabyte motherboards but what Cpu to use i havent worked out yet. thats where i turn to you all.

i hope to get a lot of feedback.and replies because im not in any hurry, and my plan was to continue upgrading with one new item every other week untill i feel i have reached My goal somewhat,
thats why im looking for something with intergrated graphics because i wont be buying the Gpu/Gpus untill at least 4 weeks after the bulk of the build is done

here are my choices/ideas.... help me choose:confused:

The AMD A10 5800K.. i have only been reading good things about it. but since im going to be buying 1 maybe 2 GPUs i dont realy think it is what im looking for. sounds awsome thoo and realy affordable

The AMD FX4170 ... i was leaning towards this one when i heard of the new APU. got some unresolve issues with it tho cuz of chipset. im thinking that this one works better with the 990 chipset and that dont support integrated graphics. but maybe the 880 chipset is a exelent choise, you tell me thats why im posting. again here the price for performance is very, very decent

this brings me to the intel processors

The i5 3450/3470k this seem to be the best CPU/s within my price range,i dont think im prepared to buy a i7 cuz i frankly dont think they are worth it for my type usage, the price is a little steep for the extra money spent here i maybe just buy one GPU. im undecided on what model to choose .3450 or the 3470k modell. help me.

i was also thinking on a other solutuion a little outside the box. here it is.

The i3 3240... its a i3 i know. but it is ivy bridge and i know i will be loosing all overclockin possibilitys, but i was thinking that maybe i can change it again in 1 year or so for any better CPU with the 1155 socket and i could try to sell it on ebay. saw that people acctualy buy used CPUs. i find this idea quite appealing cuz it would give me just the room to fit 32 gb ram and 2 gpus in my target price. its specs are very similar to the i5 think just missing on the pci express 3.0 capability(exept the cores). got to double check that. tho

i have a shoping list of screen, case. hdd. ssd. optical drive and power supply that i will post soon and maybe buy this weekend

and i will apreciate any feedback that makes my choice somwhat easyer. still need to read up on motherboards and their new techs but for that i would want to know what platform im going to choose

wow so much text:bang head hope i didnt bore you

hope to hear from you all:D

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Cheers and thanx for the Welcome

Ok. i will try to answer those questions as breif as possible. i normaly tend to talk to much resulting in a soup of letter :blah:

never thought of planing a budget and since im Swede i couldnt tell you in dollars cuz i havent a clue if stuff are equally priced on the USD market, i can only exchange the amount i was going to spend from SEK to USD. and who knows if that is going to be accurate or representative

The little budget plans i had is that i was going to pay around 100-170 USD for each of the key components

i.eg
170$ CPU
140$ MoB
120$ per GPU
100$ per 16 gb Ram
100$ SSD

i Guess i could say i have a 1000USD Budget but any component that is cheaper. i would gladley accuire, and its pretty important to point out that i wasnt gonna buy all at once. so 250USD per shopping run sound fair.
i still want to keep the build as cheap as posssible tho. i know that when you have my aproach to it the coast can derail like a runaway train and escalate to ridiculous amounts, id like to avoid that

my build dont need Windows, i got one of those, as do i with mouse and keyboard, spekers and screen. tho i am buying a new one. think im buying it this weekend.

What am i going to use my computer for ?...
Well.......... Gaming, yup..... hope to have 2 GPUs so i can safley say its a Gaming machine. but im mostly going to play Minecraft so i probaly dont even need a dedicated graphics card for that, but i want to be able to play whatever games will be released in the future without loss of framerate.

games i will be playing. War of the roses. Forge. WOW. FireFall. Crysis 3. BF3

outside of gaming i will be doing a lot of internet usage, downloading and video editing.

Im a Swede living in Sweden. will be buying most of the stuff online. mostley from a from a company in Denmark(across boarders) its EU so its the same as buying domestic. Url: http://www.proshop.se
MoBo and CPU i will buy domestic tho.. Url: http://www.cdon.se
The largest electronics Chain in Sweden just declared bankruptcy so ill be keeping a eye out for a clearance sale. trying to score some cheap component.

Yes im planing on overclocking. but i wont be if the system performance doesnt require it.
If i go for AMD i will surley OC.due to the awsome options aveilable. but if i choose a Intel K model i could wait with OC depending on what type of performance i will be geting out of it. thats why i will be looking for MoBo with DualBIOS
anyway the MoBo has to have the option onboard and i will be buying a after market cooler.
The goal with the overclocking is to have a smooth sytem and quick boot times. and if i get a that without OC i would like to have the Option to OC later on in the future, lets say 1-2 years after the purchase to squeeze out the last bit of performance.

i dont have any particular requirements on noise or size

And yes i will be using a SLI or Crossfire compatible components from the getgo.

yes i want a box build for continuous upgrading. thats why im very curious on what people think about the idea of buying a i3 3240 and later when prices have changed buy a i7 3770k or whatever new K processor comes out in the future with a 1155 socket, asuming its compatible.

But still ihavnt a clue on what platform to choose thay all seem so much greater than my current amd 64 2.2ghz

later today i will post a a shoping list of non key components i will buy very soon. for some last minute inputs..

all post in this thread will be answered. since all my friends are console gamers and perfectly happy with their notebooks, my wife only cares about wheter sims work on the new computer or not. You guys are my only hope if some intelligent conversation/feedback in this matter.:thup:

What's your budget in SEK? Just the total amount you want to spend on the computer.

We usually recommend against going SLI/CFX from the getgo. Get the single most powerful card you can afford, and use SLI/CFX as an easy way to upgrade in the future.

Boot times depend on having a SSD in your system, should be able to squeeze that in.

Back