• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! Cannot get Win7 slipstreamed with USB drivers, at wit's end

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

defcon.klaxon

Hello all,

I am new to the forums here, hope this is the right place to post this thread. I recently upgraded from Phenom II to Ryzen 7, and have been attempting to slipstream in the necessary USB drivers into a Win7 ISO and I am at my wit's end because nothing seems to be working. I've tried the Gigabyte tool and every time I run it, the ISO is installed but I get an error message saying that it failed to incorporate the drivers. So I decided to try it manually with NTLite following the guide that user Johan45 put together that's stickied here, and that doesn't seem to work even though everything says it was successful (i.e., I install the slipstreamed ISO onto a USB stick and when it runs, USB devices aren't recognized). I've even tried unattended install, and the install sticks at the very first step and isn't unattended at all. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, and I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind giving me a hand on getting this to work. It's been a week since my rig has been down and it's unbelievably frustrating to follow this very simple guides and continue to have issues. Thanks in advance to whomever would be so gracious to help me get this stupid thing to work right, I truly appreciate any and all help.

Cheers!

--Phil

Not sure about ryzen or win10 but normally, recent versions of windows7 will boot to usb3 but not install (win10 probably doesn't have that problem). If you want to boot with usb you have to use usb2 ports (kybrd and mouse incl). I just reinstalled my win7 pro today (freezing prob) and was again reminded not to use the usb3 ports to install. Even then to get them working after I was able to get to the desktop, I had to resort to the AIO Catalyst driver package that corresponds to my board as windows update does not provide the correct drivers for my usb smb that points to my usb3 ports.
Tbqh, slipstreaming stuff for a particular platform is almost not worth your time. Much better to install, update and configure at leisure (incl no dev mgr issues of course), then make a working stand alone backup that can be deployed whenever necessary. I use Veeam Agent for Windows Free and it works really well. I also had ~200 updates that weren't on my disc (not even SP1). My 840evo ate it up quick but the last minute details took hours. I am really glad I did a fresh install as there were things that would not update or even install on my last config. Plus it's nice to just start fresh. Now if I could only remember where I stashed all those bitcoins lol. The ryzen board must come with drivers that you install AFTER you get to the desk.
Re-installing windows is the major reason I run as much as I can portably with all the files/folders on a secondary drive. I love opening my browsers and what not as if nothing even happened.
My 'portable' folder is ~47GB. Most of which I never use, and some things may or may not work anymore I've had the files for so long (since xp).

Last edited:
I run as much as I can portably with all the files/folders on a secondary drive.

^This. I keep my OS, programs and games on my SSD bootdrive, it's why I went with 500 GB. Everything else is on a 4 TB WD HDD. Video, recorded TV, movies, pictures, documents, Downloads folder- everything-including OS .iso files and mobo drivers for about 8 motherboards. Now I can play with RAM clocks and OC my CPU with impunity because a reinstall won't risk my important files or add days to rebuilding my system.

I have enough storage I backup my backups. 128gb evo to my 2tb using veeam, then the 2tb (music/books/docs/veeam) to a 6tb, and that 6tb (video/soft/port/etc) to another 6tb (everything+) using freefilesync. My music's all flac mostly so I use a seagate 1TB portable and converted it all to mp3 for that. When I can afford a 512GB sdcard (they're like $220 still), I'll put that in my tablet which now has only a 64gb card:-/. From flac to mp3 I saved 537gb (249gb of mp3's backed up to the second 6tb as well). Freefilesync rocks.:cool: But from one platform to another you have to install, copy, uninstall to make it portable for each. If I ever get a nas... Shoots I still have about 5½tb of space left between the two.

Update!! I tried another program that strictly does audio conversions which is free.
TAudioConverter https://www.fosshub.com/TAudioConverter.html
Testing a folder of flac files consisting of 5 sub folders for the discs, it recreated the folder structure complete to a new location (optional), copied the cover art (internally or externally in my case-optional), and did it using 4 threads (user configurable). Foobar took 7 minutes total and TA took 3!! Plus it has skins and is totally portable. Forget foobar for audio conversion.
On a side not; the same dev has a video encoder which can encode to x265 containers. On a small file it worked but on a larger one (200+mb) it kept crashing my pc. Maybe I need intel or an actual card, who knows. Free though

Last edited:
Back