• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Recommend a Build for High Single Core Performanec

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HugoBlair

I am planning to buy a computer to run a heavy analytical program that uses only one cpu core. This computer will be only for that purpose.

I have a very limited budget, so I want to spend most of the money on a strong cpu, but leave everything else very basic (lower end graphic card, power, keyboard etc).

1. Enable only one or two cores, Disable all other cores.
2. Disable TH
2. Overclock that one/two cores on stock cooler to as high as possible.

Could you please recommend a CPU and motherboard for this purpose?
Should I use 4930K, 4770K, or 3770K? X79 or Z79 and what brand?

Graphic performance is not important.
The goal is to get the highest single core performance on lowest budget.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Probably the 4760K will be your best bet then, it has no HT and an open multi for overclocking. Get an inexpensive board and you're all set.

Ya that's my bad typing skills.:facepalm:
It's the 4670, same one Witchy recommended.

I am looking on the online stores for the 4670k, and there are two options:

There is Intel Core™ i5-4670K
Then there is Intel Core™ i5-4670K "w/ Intel Performance Tuning Protection"
for $24 more.

Should I buy this "w/ Intel Performance Tuning Protection" feature to improve single core performance, or is it not relevant?

Thanks.

I am looking on the online stores for the 4670k, and there are two options:

There is Intel Core™ i5-4670K
Then there is Intel Core™ i5-4670K "w/ Intel Performance Tuning Protection"
for $24 more.

Should I buy this "w/ Intel Performance Tuning Protection" feature to improve single core performance, or is it not relevant?

Thanks.

That is an insurance that they're offering, it has nothing to do with performance.

It has nothing to do with how the CPU performs.

The performance tuning protection is for overclockers... hard core (read sub zero cooling hardcore) overclockers really. Where you are going with this CPU, I wouldn't get it.

To OC this 4670K on stock cooler, for the memory, should I choose DDR3-1886 or 2133?

Thanks.

Unless you know memory speed plays a roll in what you do, get the cheaper one...

Also, while you can get a couple hundred Mhz out of that CPU on the stock cooler, you may want another one (Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO) for more headroom.

What instruction set does this "heavy analytical program" use?

since we are talking about single core, why not nab the Intel Pentium G3258, unlocked dual core. its not nearly as costly as the suggested 4xxxK cpus, comes in around $75.

since we are talking about single core, why not nab the Intel Pentium G3258, unlocked dual core. its not nearly as costly as the suggested 4xxxK cpus, comes in around $75.

That's where I was headed too, but it does cut out some features from the i5/i7.
If the OP isn't going to be utilizing those features then the G3258 is perfect.

That's where I was headed too, but it does cut out some features from the i5/i7.
If the OP isn't going to be utilizing those features then the G3258 is perfect.

well im going on a limb here since the op said single core for the program. it may not be setup to take advantage of some of the new instructions. now as to weither he needs AES or VT, then yea that could be a deal breaker. while we are missing some other variables what stuck with me was cheap as possible.

now if its going to be oc'd or not is another matter. if not oc'd then there really is not choice in cpu's imo. One of them being the 4790k with its stock clock of 4ghz, other wise there is. The Intel Xeon X5698, never went retail but can be found on ebay. however the cpu costs as much as some mid to high end gaming builds, at $1.5k doesnt seem to fit for the application. if the cpu was cheaper, by like 6-8times that would be a different matter.

if oc'ing and it comes out cheaper then the combo at MC. then you might as well get the pre-refresh haswell i5 K cpu. with intel stock cooling its hard to say how far of and oc you can go if you have only one cpu working. most everyone has gone with a after marketcooler and afaik done single core runs. TDP per core is hard to figure out, even if you say on a low side of 15% drop per core disabled. maybe on the high side of 20% per core, as it would not be 25% which most would go with. as there are other areas of the die still active that wont shut off just because of a core or 3.

You have to plan on the cooling load for all cores.

I don't see a point in disabling cores for a single application either... unless the cache is shared and that will help... but to what end?

Leave all the cores of whatever CPU you get on, and go about your number crunching is my advice.

My take was he was trying to reduce the heatload to maximize the Intel stock POS

Agree for 25 bucks the Evo will take him a long way, especialy disabeling two cores on an i5

You have to plan on the cooling load for all cores.
well in the instance of disabling cores, they are not active. this would effectively allow the heat to migrate to the other disabled cores. acting as a larger single core die.

I don't see a point in disabling cores for a single application either... unless the cache is shared and that will help... but to what end?
would be with the other cores disabled if oc'ing you can get a higher oc. On that single core then if both were enabled, as well the only cache that would be shared. Is the L3 but as i have noted before L3 for things like gaming or superpi 1m, it has no effect on performance. even though older tech, a high clocking 45nm LGA775 might be in order. assuming the higher L2 will be use full in this situation. though i dont think you can disable cores on lga775 but i has been a while.

Leave all the cores of whatever CPU you get on, and go about your number crunching is my advice.
if we are looking at raw speed for performance. then what is wrong with going the amd route?

The stock intel cooler (with copper core) can take a quad to the low to lower mid 4Ghz range with ALL cores loaded. If this guy only has one core of four rocking, that stock cooler will be fine...

... but, let's not speculate and let's see, for sure, why the user would like to disable cores... :)

well in the instance of disabling cores, they are not active. this would effectively allow the heat to migrate to the other disabled cores. acting as a larger single core die.
To what end though? See above (let's not speculate...).

would be with the other cores disabled if oc'ing you can get a higher oc. On that single core then if both were enabled, as well the only cache that would be shared. Is the L3 but as i have noted before L3 for things like gaming or superpi 1m, it has no effect on performance. even though older tech, a high clocking 45nm LGA775 might be in order. assuming the higher L2 will be use full in this situation. though i dont think you can disable cores on lga775 but i has been a while.
You can disable cores on s775.

if we are looking at raw speed for performance. then what is wrong with going the amd route?
Per clock performance compared to Intel is subpar?

Back