• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PlexiGlass Cutting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mils128

Hey guys i am trying to make a shroud for my HC out of plexiglass. at home the only tools i have are:Dremel
At work my dad has:circular saw and whatever his workers have.
at school we have: drill press and i think a hole saw

Two fans fit on this and so how will i go about cutting the plexi. any tips to make the holes for the shroud.

how can i do this without cracking because this is my only piece.

Rotary tool (dremel) and a template would work great for fan holes. 30 seconds and I was done with a hole. Most of the work was in prepping the plastic.

JT

Jtanczos said:
Rotary tool (dremel) and a template would work great for fan holes. 30 seconds and I was done with a hole. Most of the work was in prepping the plastic.

JT

You can cut a hole for a fan, in 30 seconds? With a Dremel? Where's that BS flag when you need it?

I meant CUTTING the hole in 30 seconds. I made a round template out of 2 layers of flat box cardboard.

I used masking tape to tape the template down. Also used masking tape directly on both sides of the side panel to make sure it doesnt chip.

I cut it using this kit http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/att_template.asp?SKU=565&Color=99CCFF with the general purpose cutting bit. Just hold it tightly against the plastic/template and you can cut the hole VERY quickly as long as everything is secured correctly. It had a nice smooth edge too and didnt require any additional sanding. I can take pics of my template if you really think it is BS. :p

Prep work took about an hour for the first one. Since the template is finished I could probably set it all up and cut a second one in 5-10, if that.

JT

Jtanczos said:
I meant CUTTING the hole in 30 seconds. I made a round template out of 2 layers of flat box cardboard.

I used masking tape to tape the template down. Also used masking tape directly on both sides of the side panel to make sure it doesnt chip.

I cut it using this kit http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/att_template.asp?SKU=565&Color=99CCFF with the general purpose cutting bit. Just hold it tightly against the plastic/template and you can cut the hole VERY quickly as long as everything is secured correctly. It had a nice smooth edge too and didnt require any additional sanding. I can take pics of my template if you really think it is BS. :p

Prep work took about an hour for the first one. Since the template is finished I could probably set it all up and cut a second one in 5-10, if that.

JT

If you would have mentioned the cutting kit in the first place, I wouldn't have questioned you, those are sweet deals, I gotta get me one. No need for a BS flag, peace dude. :attn:

I just use my cordless Dewalt drill and a hole saw bit attachment to cut holes.. WORKS very well and clean... very little clean up is needed afterward...

Here is pic from my latest mod, I used the Drill/holesaw for it..

dvdrailpieces.jpg

Last edited:
how does that attachment to the dreml work. i have something like that that came with my B&D RBX but i have neaver used it or anything

For cutting large pieces of plexi I use a jigsaw with the plexi sandwiched in between two pieces of scrap wood held together with G clamps. Maybe i'm just lucky but it works for me.

According to the guys at Tap plastics, a fluted two blade carbide router bit and a router are the best way to make a clean consistant cut. After taking their advice, I must concur. :)
If you have access to a milling machine or drill press you can pull it off with some practice, though expect to lose some pieces to cracking etc.

Brundle Fly said:
If you would have mentioned the cutting kit in the first place, I wouldn't have questioned you, those are sweet deals, I gotta get me one. No need for a BS flag, peace dude. :attn:

Was 5:30AM so I posted while very tired and didnt put in all the info I should of. :) No worries I didnt take anything personally. It's all good.

Those kits just plain kick *** for cutting accrylic. With a template cut from cardboard you can make almost any shape.... in reason. Just have to give it an extra 1.5" because of the base attachment.

JT

Back