• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

POP UR HEATSPREADER - Gallery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dang :eek: was that yours sss or the guy Freezermug was talking about? That is a huge die!

What a sorry cadaver! :eek:

It certainly looks like the core is soldered to the IHS. Probably some kind of low melting point alloy, perhaps in the range of 80-90 degrees.

Mr. $T$ said:
dang :eek: was that yours sss or the guy Freezermug was talking about? That is a huge die!

No it was some poor guy from [H] that decided he could remove his MO IHS :rolleyes: I would provide the link but the thread was innactive or Intel didnt want the info posted and had it removed.

stamasd said:
What a sorry cadaver! :eek:

It certainly looks like the core is soldered to the IHS. Probably some kind of low melting point alloy, perhaps in the range of 80-90 degrees.

Its fused and the temps required are probably higher than 80-90*c , The P4 threshold is around 70*c-75*c and absolute failure is roughly 120*c, so its got to be higher than 80-90*c or the IHS would be unfused at 80-90*c

The days of removing the IHS are almost over :(

http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/29864311.pdf

cut the rubber seal around the processor and take a sodering iron to the IHS and warm the material up to the point of melting then pop the IHS off :) Although somthing tells me it will not be as simple as doing that :p

Mr. $T$ said:
cut the rubber seal around the processor and take a sodering iron to the IHS and warm the material up to the point of melting then pop the IHS off :) Although somthing tells me it will not be as simple as doing that :p

LOL, I'll let you try it first :p

if i had a pentium M0 i bet it'd make it off sucessfully

and after looking into the thing a bit more i've come to the conclusion that its not solder that intel's using, its something more like arctic silver epoxy; they're not *that* advanced yet, but that just means drilling a few more small hole and freezing the porc first or something, shouldn't be impossible, i'll pull it off

i'll try to find a bit more info on this, but with them larger cores it's be the perfect core to use without a heatspreader cause with the tim join you;re losing quite a few degrees, especially with intel's or amd's tim joints, which are only designed to run at stock, much less outperform arctic silver or something

i think intel started using gue instead cause kyle from the [H] blew off his heaspreader with a vapochill and they kinda got nervous

oh yeah and one other thing, if you're using a vapochill or a prometeia, POP UR HEATSPREADER, cause the thermal grease underneath loses a LOT of fluidness/viscocity turns solid at the lower temps

oh yeah and btw, i used ***** FLOSS ***** to remove my heatspreader, so i dunno about how cutting traces could be so bad, though you gotta watch out for the resisters here and there, i'll post instructions as soon as i get more time...

and up in a few days is the picture of a *naked* geforceFX flipchip, along with its heatspreader (popped off, that is)

i gotta say its quite a sight down there :)

oh yeah and if you think losing a M0 is bad, try lapping amd cpu's to make em' flatter, always used to do that, and i've only lost one of em' due to going too far with 600grit :)

and also you ever wonder how the proper way to clean off tim from ur chip is?

cause people like me just take the cpu, and then soap and water and brush with a toothbrush and its al good and new and clean afterwards

but just wait until you see the fx5900 naked; quite the sight

and no, its not dangerous when you just sit there with nothing but floss

everclock said:
where is the naked athlon fx core pic? i didnt see it up there?
i guess he hasn't posted it up yet
i remember reading something discribing it close to a tbred..
or were they referring design of the die? i donno..

Mr. $T$ said:
You could always try to lap through it to get rid of it. :D

eobard's got a really good point, if you lap it enough, you will lap the through the IHS, it would take some time, but it would be a solution to this "imposibility". Of course, how would you know how far to go? I guess someone will have to learn the hard way.

I got an idea, every1 in teh forums gimme $0.03 and i will go out and find out....i only wish. That would be too many pennys, but it wold get me over a grand :)

I doubt you could completly remove it by lapping. Once you get close to the core you will need micrometer precision to know when to stop. And then its got to be perfectly flat and level. Since you will always have at least a thin layer of the bonding agent you won't get any advantage of lapping that far.

Hmm, maybe it can be removed chemically. Someone is going to have to take a sample of that stuff and send it to a lab to find out what it is.

I wasn't serious about the lapping, I know it is possible in theory, but in practical implimentation it would be a logistical nightmare, not cost effective.

Front1.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Top1.jpg

geforce FX 5900; core exposed, heatspreader shown seperately

also, if you have a radeon that you've popped the shim off of, by all means, i'm sure there's people here that's love to see it

oh yeah, and also did i mention that temps dropped at least 5 celcius?

and also:

sorry i damaged the heatspreader on the fx card when removing it, but also:

could someone re-host them pics so they're smaller or something?

cause i bet the ~150k is just killing modem users left here; sorry again

probe.JPG

picked this one up over from the water section, belongs to a guy named Ogerx

so much for the built in temp probes.. heh

Back