• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Popups are KILLING ME!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, formats are definately a pain. I'll try to look around and see if I can find anything...but you probably already did that anyways.

I`ve had simular problems with pop ups & recently one changed my homepage address & stuck up shortcuts etc. Every time I thought I`d got rid of them, next re-boot up they came again. I can only assume I picked this bad one up while surfing the net like one do`es. Any way I did a System Restore to an earlier date & hey presto all seems okay! Worth a try anyway
Acko

I tried that too. System restore restored everything to a time previous to this problem, but first time I opened IE, presto, they were still there.

You sure your home page is not doing it? Might as well remove your home page all together until you figure it out.

Well Microsoft says in SP2...they're planning on incorporating a pop-up blocker. But that won't be out for some time.

So...have you proven that it isn't IE? Obviously using another browser won't help if it's in IE, as you can't uninstall IE. Maybe an upgrade or repair would do the trick. Or...try doing a repair of the operating system. Considering what you've tried already...it's almost up to silly suggestions now...one of them is bound to bring results. You could always just go to Alienware and buy yourself a new PC...I'm sure that would fix it :)

Do you guys have firewalls? Before I had a firewall I had all that crap in my system but now I'm completely free of it.

You know....weird you mention that. Just today Norton Firewall has been flashing all day that some trojan keeps attacking me. Weird since I didn't do anything different....

Not that it matters...I have a firewall :) But man...I'd be deadly scared if I didn't have one...I used to think it was all paranoid people until I read more about it...

Its not that trojan. These are all adds, there are about 5 different adds that pop up. My home page is Google.com. I have other puters with the same home page so I know its not Google causing this problem.

These are the USUAL behaviors that cause the pop ups:
1. Open IE for the first time
2. Close the pop up and click any link or open any web page in IE.
3. Leave IE open for an extended period of time (maybe 20 mins) with no pop-up open also.

Now that I started using Mozilla Firebird though, IE wont pop up anything now. Ill try again later. Maybe the pop ups are on lunch break right now.

Another odd behavior was I had a period of about 3 days with no popups. It was just after I got Spybot S&D and ran it. I thought it cured me, but after about 3 days one popped up.

Crash: Yes, I have tried many things. If I run it with the popup still open, it cant get rid of it and asks to run at startup, which I have done. If I close it then run it, it cleans them and if i run it again right after that, it says the system is clean. I have also tried a combination of closing it, clearing cookies, history, temp files + D/R + Reboot + D/R on reboot.

davidw2005,

Firewall's fix everything ;)

And just let you know, the only ways to get that trojan on your system are:

1) open infected attachment (you wouldn't know it because it morphs into the .exe file and installs in the background.

2) Someone came over your house and they installed it

Cyrix_2k said:
davidw2005,

Firewall's fix everything ;)

And just let you know, the only ways to get that trojan on your system are:

1) open infected attachment (you wouldn't know it because it morphs into the .exe file and installs in the background.

2) Someone came over your house and they installed it

Then have fun with all the trojans you get that do not use those methods:eek: There are many ways to get trojans that you have not mentioned including just visiting a website. Firewalls also do not fix everything. They just block either incoming or outgoing or both. That does not stop stuff that you let in.

Well I recommend to anyone having these types of problem to check out BHODemon. Its a tiny little app that displays what BHOs are installed on IE and it lets you disable them. The good thing about it is that it does not seach around for known spyware, it just displays all bhos good or bad. I would recommend that you disable ALL bhos on your system and see if it fixes it. If it does then one of the disabled BHOs was causing the problem.

As for the home page issue, I say what do you have to lose by spending 2 seconds setting your home page to nothing? Have you looked at least at what addresses is stored as your home page. It would be a pretty simple thing to create a page that popped up some ads then redirected to google...

davidw2005 said:
Well...I only started getting those trojan attack things since I registered here at o/c forums...

I assure you OC forums has nothing to do with trojans, it is either mistake or a crazy coincidence:D (if it did I doubt the users woul dbe so abundant and friendly - or abundantly friendly:D)

CrashOveride said:
Tried Mozilla Firebird? It is the best browser around no unwanted pop ups but it also has NEVER kept out wanted ones (opera skimped on both for me), tabbed browsing, plug-ins galore (mouse guestrures to an MSN IM client), and it's free and opensource! (just google fore mozilla firebird and get the installer, not the normal one...)
EDIT: Here Under contributed releases, the installer. If you don't get the installer some plugins will give you problems with recongnizing and thus working with firebird:D

Mozilla firebird!!!!! Best browser ever! GET IT!

Back