• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Positive vs Negative airflow tested in bequiet! Pure Base 500DX...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Ran across this article and thought it was an interesting take. The data can only be used for this chassis/case but an interesting result nonetheless.

In this case, temperatures don't seem to be a lot different.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...irflow-testing-with-be-quiet-pure-base-500dx/

After approximately 12 hours of testing, swapping fan configurations, leaving the system to cool and then testing again, we can conclude that running the system in either a positive, negative or balanced airflow configuration produces very similar results in terms of thermal performance with this style of PC case.

I have always found this to be the case myself. It is mostly anecdotal rather than anything I have ever tested. But I have often found that as long as air is moving around the case in whatever direction it results in the components being cooled. I tend to try and keep my fans balanced or slightly positive.

I was slightly surprised that having all of the fans blowing air out of the case wasn’t too detrimental to temps, I thought it would have been terrible.

For me airflow is more about dust control. Filtered positive airflow is the way to go.

For me airflow is more about dust control. Filtered positive airflow is the way to go.
i agree - i advocate intake fans + removal of exhaust fan and 'grill' - this allows freer airflow while maintaining dust filtration. note - i live w/ a lot of dust so filtration is important.

Back