• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible RAM Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperflyForever

Hello there, my brother and I have been stumbling over this issue all day.

I recently bought myself some new parts for my computer. A new motherboard, a new processor, hard drive and some RAM sticks.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 3.2 ghz
Memory: Corsair XMS3 1600 4 GB 2x (Total of 8gb)
Hard Drive: Sata 2 Samsung 1TB

Well, after putting it all together we get the issues. Right off the bat it doesn't work, constantly crash looping and BSOD's.

A little down the line we thought it was a Hard Drive issue, then a few hours ago he read it might be a RAM issue. So we tried un-plugging the RAM Sticks one by one and see if that was the cause. We got down to one stick left and the damn thing decided to boot to desktop, rather than crash after post or give some windows errors.

Now I have finally managed to get on the computer, but sadly only being able to use my 2gb worth, so one stick instead of all 4.

As I am saying this, I managed to somehow get a second stick to work by finding out in the BIOS the section on RAM Voltage. So I changed the Memory OverVoltage bit to the designated 1.65v that is stated on the RAM sticks. But, it's still having issues booting up windows with any more sticks.

Would this be an issue with the other RAM? The motherboard or just plain doing something wrong.

Thank you.

Besides changing the DRAM voltage to 1.65V, manually adjust the four primary RAM timings to what the modules are rated at DDR3-1600, like 9-9-9-24 for example (leave all of the RAM sub-timings on Auto). And w/ 8GB of RAM installed running at 800MHz (200MHz HT Ref clock x 8 / 2:8 FSB : DRAM ratio = DDR3-1600), you may also need to bump these voltages... CPU-NB to 1.30V, HT Link to 1.275V, and NB to 1.30V.

I had a quick look around on what you said and it's greatly appreciated. But I couldn't find the one thing about the NB voltage. I managed to find the others due to sheer blind luck. Not really the most tech savvy person.

But, since I have changed a few of the settings. I will push back in the RAM sticks one at a time and hope it boots.

Thank you again.

AMDOverdrive is a good program for reporting stock NB (actually, it is the CPUNB) voltage. It reports some other voltages incorrectly but seems to get this one correct.

Attachments

• AMDOD.JPG
    AMDOD.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 37
Back