• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential HTPC case on the horizon - plausability/ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Great Satchmo

Registered
Ok, so I have a pretty clear idea of what I want from a HTPC case, and I'm not going to spend $400 for one, too expensive.

Here are my needs:

- Must be full size ATX mobo and ATX PSU
- Would like it deep, I'm using a passive cooler on my X1300 and the heatsink is pretty tall
- Must fit 120mm's, maybe 2, blowing across the case (1 in, 1 out)?
- Must have space for 2 hard drives, and 1 optical drive
- Must have place to mount an LCD to the front (in the process of acquiring a PSone LCD right now, plan to mount that on the front).

Thats all that is on the top of my head right now.

Cooling is going to be huge with this though, I want to make the system as silent as possible thusly the want for 120's.

I'm not sure what else to think of, but I'm assuming what I'll need to do is pick-up a full size ATX case, turn it on it's side, and start hacking.

What kind of tools will I want to have around? What special supplies?

How do I get started and what are some thoughts?

Mid tower would work fine. Plenty on the market with at least 1 120mm fan and some with 2 120's.

How big is the LCD?

Ok, so here are a few more criteria:

This is going to be a relatively cheap build, so I want to start with a cheap, ****ty case that I will hack open.

I like the idea of the PSU on the side, taking air in from outside, and immediately exhausting it to the outside, that should but down on the heat in the case.

The LCD will go on the front of the case, I want to have the case lay flat (not standing up).

Budget is the key word here.

Back