• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powercolor X800xl problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyleboy77

So lately my girlfriend's computer has been flickering, we thought it was the monitor being screwy but it only seemed to do it at the desktop, than this morning she turned the computer on and the screen looks all goofy it has barely any picture just some funny colored lines and blocks.
I think that the video card is dead thats why I am posting in the video section.

here is her specs,
ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2 Socket 939
POWERCOLOR X800XLRadeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-QPACK-BL/420 Black/Blue Aluminum MicroATX Desktop
Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail

do some troubleshooting. swap the videocard with one you know works and see if the problem is still there.
if that doesnt fix it... swap the monitor with another one.

make sure all the connections are secure and drivers are up to date etc.

Sounds like the memory is going bad on the video card, hence the artifacts.

It might be a connection issue between the monitor and video card, but I doubt it would give artifacts like the ones you are seeing.

Well im bringing this thread back up since the problem has returned... it went away for a while there but not its back just out of the blue... the computer was off all night than it happend again this morning. the onboard video card seems to be fine tho...
do you guys think its definatly the video card or could it be something else?

Ya, its probably the vid card. I doubt its the vid ram though, the ram on my x700 pro was dieing, and there werent any artifacts. I kept getting the bsod more and more until I couldnt even get the windows loading screen.

Back