• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

powerline network adaptors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have two machines I am building for my bees sewing room, she'll bee facebooking about twice a week and I will be rendering on them, I have one up there now.
at this time I use wireless for it's net and for control, using teamviewer and this works fine at the time.
I am having a 20 amp, second service added to the room so I can add the second rig.
I met the electrician guy for diner tonight to talk about the wiring job and as he rewired the place after the fire a while back he has an idea what I want, he added the 20 amp circuits to my office at that time.
yea, no issue on the power.
I talked with him about pulling network cable, he said that if wireless was working for me, just get a powerline network adaptor kit and fore go having all the sheetrock work redone in the office, he uses them at home and says they work well enough and are easy enough to setup even I could do it.
I'm getting to the point I have some real coin invested in these boxes and plugging a cable, that is not going to A power supply, into a 110 volt socket kind of makes my skin crawl a little bit.
what do you guys think of these things????
do you use these?
do they cause the magic smoke, djjins or affrits to appear? or are they, as he said, well enough?

It's been a few years since I fooled with them and I suppose they have improved but I was far less than satisfied with the several brands of powerline adapters I tried. If you have a really small house with not that many liner feet of wiring they work okay but those companies who make that stuff exaggerate the length figure I'm afraid. Just get a frickn' powerful Wifi router and you'll be happier.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Max-...28537&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Wifi+router&psc=1

I have heard mixed reviews on them but feel a lot come from lack of knowledge on how to use them. I think you are in an ideal situation to use them as the wiring for your office is new and you will be running a new circuit for the new setup. With the newer heavy wire, you should have less signal integrity issues due to old wire. If possible have the Electrician install the new circuit breaker as close to your office breeaker as possible while keeping them on the same leg of the electrical service.

but, isn't any form of wired faster than any form of wireless?
the house we are in now is much smaller than the big house, we have gotten to old to take care of it so I leased it and the property out on a 99 year lease so the runs will not be to long.

but, isn't any form of wired faster than any form of wireless?
the house we are in now is much smaller than the big house, we have gotten to old to take care of it so I leased it and the property out on a 99 year lease so the runs will not be to long.

No. If I'm pretty close to the access point my wired and wireless are almost the same speed when I check them. I'm talking about wireless A/C not g or n. Both well over 100 mbps.

found this thread to be interesting so i figured i toss in my pennies.

I work as a dish network field tech subcontractor. And at my job, we have these power line adapters that dish calls "Sling Link Adapters". We install these for customers that have internet enabled receivers like the hopper family, wally, or vip622/722/722k receivers on their account. Never had a problem installing/using them. The only downside i see to them is that they need to be on the same house circuit. So if you have like a house that comes with a guest house and that guest house has its own power box, no chance of getting a power line adapter to reach the guest house. unless your a fan of running orange cords to the guest house.

I have found that power line adapters are somewhat in between wifi and hardwired lan when it comes to latency. But that depends on how far they are apart on the circuit and how good your eletrical is.

And from what you posted, you just got some new electrical re-setup in your home. So i say go for the power line adapters. Will be perfect for what you want to use those computers for.

As (G{in}[AK)TION partly explained, these travel across wires that run through your electrical box. If the home base adapter and the remote adapter are not on the same circuit, and have to travel all the way to the electrical box, then back out to another circuit then it will be slower and more apt to introduce latency (even dropouts). If you know for certain the home base and remote adapter will be on the same circuit, it will work great. If they're in different parts of the house/apartment, then it's unlikely to be as robust because of the distance of wire the signal has to travel round trip.

I tested some trendnet(?) powerline adapters as a newegg reviewer a while back and they were solid. No dropouts and nominal lag (higher ping times). They were tested on the same electrical circuit.

My advice - buy them from someplace like Amazon with a friendly return policy.

all the info I can get is good, links are great< thanks.
can these things short and zap the rigs with 120 volts????

all the info I can get is good, links are great< thanks.
can these things short and zap the rigs with 120 volts????

Never head of it happening. Don't think there is much risk in that. Long as you don't spill any Everclear on it.

Just throwing out a suggestion, how about flat Cat wire? Some glue or thin double sided tape will keep it against the wall, or hide it behind the molding.

I never had any luck with powerline adapters in two different houses. It's probably the electrical, but even when they worked it was much slower than wifi...

Just throwing out a suggestion, how about flat Cat wire? Some glue or thin double sided tape will keep it against the wall, or hide it behind the molding.

I've only seen that in ready made molded end patch cables. I see bulk flat cable for sale on Amazon but I don't see any ends to go with it. Do they make those to do your own and crimping tools?

Flat ethernet cable would also be handy in places where running it underneath a rug or carpet would feasible. I wonder how durable it is compared to round.

Back