• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Preferred RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PicodeGallo

Currently I'm in the market for some new RAM, either a 2x4GB or a 4x4GB set. DDR1600. They all look the same. They will go in my current system, but will be transferred over to an Intel system likely with an Asus or ASrock mobo.

I need something low profile so they will fit under my cooling fan. I'm looking at Corsair (XMS3), Kingston, and Samsung (if they are ever on sale again). They need to be mildly overclockable-nothing extreme. I don't bench. Most say RAM is RAM, and I agree, but I have some particular questions:

1. What about value ram? What's the drawback here? I haven't been looking, just thought I'd ask.

2. Do the better timings on more expensive RAM make a difference?

3. What companies have the best customer service? I make it a point to memtest every stick and if one's bad, good customer service will ensure I get them replaced quickly.

Thanks in advance!

1. Value ram is good for your uses. No drawbacks.
2. Nope, not outside benchmarking. Same goes with speed.
3. No idea, I never had to return ram. With any company bad things can happen, so I wouldnt worry about this personally. The 'great' ones can have bad service, and the 'bad' ones can have great service... basically Im saying roll the dice as chances are things will be painless IF you get a bad stick.

Agreed with EarthDoh on everything.
I know about Corsair: I killed some xms3 twice, and the complete RMA process, from creating the ticket to having my sticks back at home, took 1 week both times.

Very good indeed!

Thanks all, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I've used quite a bit of RAM from Corsair in the past with great results. I just had a Corsair PSU fry on me, so we'll see how that RMA process goes. I am inclined towards the Samsung RAM. It has that "wild hair" factor--just in case I get a 'wild hair' and want to bench my system. :p

How about this? GSkill Sniper DDR-1866 2x4GB. The egg has them on sale for $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

I figure I can use them now, downclocked and with tighter timings, as well as for my upcoming Ivy Bridge build @1600 (or even OC'd). I'm hoping I'll have some flexibility with the 1.5v rating rather than sticks that run 1600 @ 1.65v. Don't know if it will matter much. I figure I'll play with the timings for my own experimentation.

As long as they work in both systems, I'll be happy. I better be. Just picked up 2 sets.

Back