• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with my FX 5700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legion2005

My motherboard for some reason decided to die this weekend, so I had to go back to this old abit one. Its a KX7-333. I am hoping my CPU didnt die either. Its a Athlon 2700+ and wont work in this motherboard or is dead. Nothing will post. I am currently using an Athlon 1800+.

This board usually runs with a GeForce 2 MX 64MB. I have the FX-5700 in there right now, and for some reason 3d applications dont seem to want to work. I just formatted and got the most recent drivers, still doesnt seem to want to work.

In 3D Mark 2001 SE, certain things go red, and sometimes there are artifacts everywhere. I know this isnt a heat issue, the card is quite cool, stock speeds too.

In Direct X 9.0b, I test direct draw and direct 3d. They both run fine, although sometimes I get artifacts on direct 3d.

I have RMAed my a7v8x-x, so if this isnt fixable its fine. I just want this to work right for the wait. :)

what kind of psu do you have in that rig? your FX 5700 may not be getting enough power.

have you ever used this mobo and your 5700 together before? the 5700 does take its own 4-pin molex correct? i have seen cases where a 300w or less psu can cause problems on nVidia FX cards coupled with the power consumption of the rest of the system- it's just not enough power. your older board and proc may actually pull more power than the newer ones that blew up. your 5700 card also requires 1.5v AGP voltage- since you have an abit board i assume you can set this in bios, that's something to check as well.

I have never used these 2 together. I have been assuming that my 2700+ and the FX-5700 arent compatible with this board. The 5700 does use a seperate power connector. Its a floppy power connector.

I am getting windows updates right now, once I am done with that I'll look in the bios for voltages.

Any ideas on why my 2700 wouldnt work in this abit board? I was just assuming that the board is too old.

That is most likely the case... the board just doesn't recognize the cpu. i would check abit's site to see if you can validate that- otherwise, you may be looking at a fried cpu too.

My AGP is at 1.5v. Is there a way for me to make sure that it would be not enough power without buying a new powersupply?

AMD Socket A Athlon XP up to 2600+
lol, and I have a 2700+. Couldnt it still run the 2700 though, just at a speed 1 step lower?

Last edited:
check your 12v rail and see if it is operating within -5% or at least 11.4volts. if not, you've got a lack of voltage. borrow a friends psu and try it before you go and buy a new one- which i would recommend anyway.

Back