• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problematic lite-on cdrw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Detective

OK I have a lite-on 32x12x40 which up until has been running problem free. However I was just burning from my maxtor sata 80GB hard drive using RecordNow Max when I got an error message stating that the burn had failed. Although uncommon it has happened before so I merely decided to burn using my LG 12x DVD Burner (they are both on secondary channel with DVDRW as master and Lite-on as slave). Anyway that too seemed to run into problem when it was verifying the disk it said the data had changed (it was an avi file I was burning as my standalone dvd player can read avi files). The disk however is playable.
Anyway that is the background the upshot now is that I can put in regular music cds or any cd for that matter into the Lite-On and the LED will flash away but when I go to view it in Windows 2000 it does not "see" the disk and says "Please insert CD into drive E" and naturally the drive does nothing else!!!! My DVDRW on drive D is unaffected and still plays any cds. I can also use the software such as Record Now Max to eject the cd from my Lite-On but it says the drive is not ready.
I have checked the device manager and for the DVD/CD ROM drives shows no issues/conflicts and the Lite-On with is driver is clearly shown and OK. Under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have the NVIDIA NF2 ATA controller V2.6 (I have an Abit NFS V2 mobo) for my secondary channel it has "Let Bios select Transfer Mode" (this has always been the case).
Anyone have any ideas what may have happened?
I have tried uninstalling it and rebooting but to no avail - also I tried refreshing it in the bios (where it is also recognised).
Edit - just changed the IDE device controller from Nvidia to Windows own but still the same result (DMA is checked as enabled if available)
Double Edit - I tried to view the files via msdos prompt but stated drive not ready. Looking like the drive itself it a gonner?

Last edited:
From the behavior, the controller PCBA on the CDRW has gone bad. It's definitely either time for a new one or just using the LG for everything.

Yup just to bring closure to this thread, bought a 52x32x52 Lite-On CDRW (for the equivalent of just under US$25 - dont know if that is good or bad by US standards) and all is now OK.

Back