• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Promise ATA133 Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

Whenever I plug my controller card into a PCI slot (64bit slot) and hook up my drives and boot up, the computer restarts itself at the windows loading screen and I can't get past it.

It reads the BIOS, detects the drives, but when windows tries to boot, insta-restart.

It used to work, then I took it out but now I can't get it to work. I've tried a couple different PCI slots as well - should I take it back to the store or mail it in? Something else I could try?

If you're using XP, I'd boot from the CD, and use the Recovery Console, and the fixboot and fixmbr commands with the drive connected to the controller card.
Or you could try a repair or clean install of Windows to be sure that the card is good or bad.

For the repair/install method - would I hook the drive up to the card, then repair and/or reinstall?

Back