• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Infection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Acid Rain- I dunno, I think they are quite a lot better, but admittedly, the bottom still needs some work. I like the black stiff foam idea for the bottom, although I was thinking of using black cardboard or something similar. The two inverters can support it and it should come up to just the bottom of the fan in front, hopefully.

Jayhawk- Thanks for the link, I'm putting together a big order for one of the mod shops around the net,

Sam- I tend to keep the ambient in here at like 15-16C ( according to the cheap-o thermometer ) at night, although there's a +- of 2C. Core temp is reading 21 now, the thermometer 21.8, so that's pretty useless. If we take the thermometer to read +2, instead of right on, I'd think 19C ambient and 21C idle. You think? How/can you change the Tjmax on coretemp? I remember doing it once, but I don't remember how.

Gunlance- Thanks, it's a wonderful case isn't it? I freaking love it, so big, so much room, lots of places to put things, etc, etc.

Well, the nicest part of the project has arrived:
gtsbox.jpg

gtscrysis.jpg

Gonna have to add some G80 Ramsinks onto my big order, along with that 8 pin extension. The CCFLs need to get put into place, and the black layer layed down on the bottom. I'm lucky that the new GTS only needs one 6-pin, thank God. I'd hate to have to cut more of my little zip ties, or my finger again. Yeah, sliced my middle finger on my right hand up with my utility knife. That was not fun, but I didn't get any blood on my carpet. No picture, I put a bandaid on it first wierdos...

Also, a question for all you DC circuit experts. The fans have a black wire and a red wire, while the 2 pin extensions have a yellow and a black. When I tie together the two blacks and the yellow/red, nothing happens. Should I switch it around? Have I lost a fan completely? What have I done wrong here?
Thanks again all,
Drew

If you're looking for a safer way to cut zip ties, I'd recommend either a pair of diagonal or end cutting pliers. Depending on the size of tie, a nail clipper often works pretty well too.

I don't get it -.- have you added the 28 days later logo yet or what ^.^

28 weeks later was also a good movie

OC - That's this coming weekend, I've finally gotten the place cleaned up and I should have the G80 Ramsinks by then, so I hope to finish up the other little bits by the end of the week, maybe next week.

Yeah, so I was very eager to get my 8800GTS in ( Crysis looks great even on just High ) so I just pulled off the MCW60 and cut some cardboard to seat it on top of the card...
Like the rest of the world, I am short on copper, plus the aluminum heatsinks that cover the Vregs and such, that will hopefully come on Thursday ( Wednesday if I'm lucky ). Along with the G80 ramsinks and such I'm getting some wire sleeving and heatshrink tubing, and a few small other nick-nacks. I may get some TR Mosfet SB/NB heatsinks and see if that helps me stay cool...

Preliminary performance is looking quite nice, I'm at 12K 3M06 at the moment, running 2880 and stock clocks on the 8800. Right now the 8800 is still on air, but that gives me plenty of headroom to push my e6420 to it's true limit ( hopefully not my Mobos too :/ ) I'll let you know....

Anyone have an answer about the fan thing? I really would like to not have to order another set of adapters, and in theory this should work really well. Anybody?

I might be able to help with the fan thing. Can you take some closeup shots of the items in question? I'm wondering whether your extension is miswired.

Will do Jayhawk, I appreciate it....

Also, I have to reseat the fan controller, its bending/misaligned somehow.

Unfortunately, this board does NOT like to go very fast...I can seem to get above a measly 360FSB, which is too bad....I guess I had a really nice board last time, I was clocking in at like 430....I'll see if playing with the PCI freq will help that, or lowering the multi for a trial run...we'll see...

Ordered some sleeving and heatshrink, the G80 Ramsinks and adapter, will try and get the symbols/stencils on this weekend, also, I'll probably have to grab some new lights, they don't come on anymore in my case :/

That's all I've got for now, I'll check back Sunday evening hopefully...

Holy crap I'm lazy...
Anyway, I did get some work done....
The Biohazard logo is on, Red CCFLs are in ( 12" the 4" didn't give the right effect ), had the text on there, but it came out terribly, the card is in and cooled, the CPU is now at 3.2 and relatively stable ( FSB Holes FTL ), the fan controller is wired in now ( Sorry Jayhawk, I totally spaced out, but I really do appreciate the help you offered ). So I have actually worked on it. I did some re-arranging of the wires, but they are still ugly... I have some black wire that I'm going to use to re wire the CCFLs so they don't hang in the window ( top one ) and have enough reach to move around easily. The box is going in the 3.5" bay and I'm going to wire up the NOS style switch in the back to kill the lights if I feel the need. A pic to prove I've actually done work in the two months I've been gone ( timing is everything, lol ).
94b054ee.jpg

Work left to do ( this list never dies ):
-Text that doesn't suck
-UV CCFL in ( one of them bit it : / )
-Wire cleaning
-Black spray paint for the CCFL box and Compu-nurse thermometer
-Super Glue the Compu-nurse in place ( anybody get a better place maybe? I will think on this )
-Grill for the top ( decided I didn't like dropping batteries on a $140 radiator :( )
-Wire in NOS Switch
-Glamor shots

Questions for the experts:
1. Can I wire all the switches ( 2 or 3 ) for the CCFLs to the common NOS switch? They both use the same type of little flip switch, so I figure there shouldn't be a problem, but I'm curious....
2. Is there a reason I can't boot right the first time, every time? It just hangs at the "Press DEL to enter setup", highly annoying. Ideas?
3. Are all SATA burners pretty much the same? I've gotta get rid of that IDE cable, figure its a good way to go, any brand in particular to grab/avoid?

Thanks all,
Drew

Lookin' very cool .. Should keep the infected away .. Try working on the cable management tho, zip ties are your friends (+ if the infection does come then you've got spares to detain possibly infected folk :)) ... Speaking of 28Days Later, you know the infected priest at the beginning .. Tis one of my friend's uncles

Thanks for the comments all...

Yes, I am going to do wire management, I swear! I've gotta pick up some black paper-board today lay that on the bottom, and do a false-floor type of thing. The Pump may have to stick through, I'll have to see whether or not I can prop it up on something.

Anubis_386: Nice, that must have been a cool role :D One of my favorite scenes ( as may become apparent )

Wire management is overrated, just overclock it to 3.8 and no one will complain ;)

Haz, I'd love to, but here's the problem. The area over my ram and also the area over the video card seems to get rather hot. I'm trying to figure out how I can get some more airflow over that area. I'd love to get a dominator fan or something if it would fit plus one over the CPU area for the MOSFETs....anyway, it'd be nice. I'm gonna get some more done today, so hopefully it will look better later today.

What do ya'll think, its not too bad now IMO:
977ebccd.jpg
On the bottom is some black plastic from a report folder I cut out to put over the rat's nest down there, looks much cleaner

The nasty wiring on the back side for the fans:
f6a59661.jpg

Some sleeving I did ( finally ), need smaller heat shrink:
Me on the left, PCP&C on the right
08dfcdb6.jpg

Last edited:
So I have a question for all you OC masters....

Everytime I boot up cold ( ie, having been turned off for a while ), my computer will hang just past the "Press DEL to enter Setup." screen. Without fail, or rather with fail, as I can let it sit as long as I like but it doesn't go further. Upon a restart, it works just fine. Is this a CPU stability problem or is this a bubble in the radiator problem? I do hear a gurgle, but I've got quite a bit of coolant in there ( I think ) and the level seems to be pretty good.

I know the CPU isn't quite stable yet, but I thought I would ask to make sure that this is a problem that a non-stable CPU can cause.

Anyway, what does everyone think of my wire management this time around?

Edit: I also realized I'm doing it the hard way with the fans, I'm going to try and remove that stuff and just rewire them to the 3-pin connectors for the rheobus.

Back