• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Metal Slug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm in the process of ordering some vinyl decals for several parts.
0070.jpg
The case is completely disassembled and will be shipped off tomorrow to receive powder-coating.
0071.jpg
I made a replacement I/O cover out of 1/16th" ABS
0072.jpg
As well as one for the video card, and a new support bracket out of PVC.
0073.jpg

Do you not have the things needed to do powder-coating, or do you not know how? Or is it just easier to get someone else to do it? lol

Also, what's inbetween the PVC motherboard cover and the motherboard? Do you make hollow dowel fittings and just get longer screws to reach the motherboard stand-offs?

Angel-of-Sorrow said:
Do you not have the things needed to do powder-coating, or do you not know how? Or is it just easier to get someone else to do it? lol
I don't have a spare oven, compressor, painting equipment, supplies, sand-blasting gear, or a dedicated space where I can do it. So it's worth the $50 to not have to do all the extra work with the potential of it not turning out as well.
Angel-of-Sorrow said:
Also, what's inbetween the PVC motherboard cover and the motherboard? Do you make hollow dowel fittings and just get longer screws to reach the motherboard stand-offs?
I used 1-inch long stand-offs in the upper most motherboard mounting holes and then bolt the cover onto those.

That makes sense.
Seems like it would be a big price tag for all of those opposed to 50 bucks.
Plus that time away gives you a chance to work on your other stuff or get some rest. lol

Deadbot1_1973 said:
exactly how did you cut the openings in those ABS backplates Captain? Must say that those look mighty sexy.
Covered the plastic sheet in masking tape, traced the original cover on the masking tape using a fine-point sharpie, then used the drillpress and scrollsaw to cut out the marked shapes.

Yep. Nothing will be happening with this project for the next few days. I need to make some progress on the plug-bus and most of what's left to do will have to wait until after the parts come back from powder-coating.

Damn Slug! I've been out off the forums and out of the computer world for about 7 months now (GF problems and getting settled in my own apartment), and you're STILL modding like crazy!

As always, your work is dead sexy and an inspiration to me to finish Project BioPhreak. I just wish I didn't have to toss my Dremel, and I no longer have easy access to my dad's workshop. :(

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this project completed!

Damn Slug, this is looking nice. Makes my project look crap. lol. ANyway i'm in the same boat as you, i'm waiting for the powder coating to be finished on my case before i can do the final work.

Keep it up, i'm impressed. :beer:

I'm curious as to how good the powder coating holds up? I'm interested in getting this done to my case in the near future, my case panels are very scratched and want to re do them either paint or powder coat

My last case was a matte black powder-coated aluminum rackmount which I had for 5 years. sliding it in and out of my desk and taking it to three LAN parties didn't result any deep damage to the color. A powder-coat done well is more durable than anything else you could possibly add.

Last edited:
I'm Steve. You're Steve, we're all Steve. (no really, my name is Steve)

@ Maviryk: The price quote was $50-$60 for the entire case excluding only the front panel which is already anodized black. I'm getting the sides and top powder-coated because they only came with a powder-coat finish on the outside.

gangaskan said:
I'm curious as to how good the powder coating holds up? I'm interested in getting this done to my case in the near future, my case panels are very scratched and want to re do them either paint or powder coat

My dads suburban has had powder coated wheels on it for the last 2.5 years and when clean they still look as good as new.

Oh yeah...people powder coat their dirt bike frames and rims. Right there is proof that it's good stuff. May be more expensive than buying some spraypaint and doing that, but I would suggest the powder coat. The GM parts I inspect at work are powder coated as well. They take ALOT of abuse and still look good :attn:

Back