• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps2cho's Asus Eee PC (4G 701) Review!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really wish I knew when the version 2 was coming. Here is my wish list

ULV Core 2 Solo based chip
965chipset with the X3100
8GB SSD drive standard
built in bluetooth
Same 7 inch body
LED Based Screen
6 cell battery

All for around 400-500$ I would bite so fast.

Well Asus said it would be around April 2008 in one interview and in another they just said Q2, but there will be an option to get an 8" (I saw somewhere that it was an 8.9" but I can't find that now and else where they've confirmed a 10" screen so who knows lol) or get a 7" screen and that it will use an Intel dual core processor (Merom) and it will have WiMax on it, so Asus has confirmed a lot of stuff but I haven't found a list of the new system specs so the stuff that they've "confirmed" doesn't mean much because it might be on the new one or it might not lol.

You guys really need to look in to DCI's eeectl. It's a fan control, temp monitoring and FSB control utility.

I use it to run between 450mhz and 990mhz. Check out Lazertag's driver for games as well.

I got Halo, GTA3 and StarCraft running on my EEE with XPPro and Office2003Pro.

I wish I could slim my boottime down some more it's double the Linux boottime at 30-40 seconds. The Linux boot seemed almost instant.

I got one of the Original North American EEEs 7A revision with 2Gigs of RAM and an 8Gig SDHC. This thing turns heads where ever it goes.

The 8804 BIOS seems to give the best performance because it makes the machine think it runs a 915GM chipset instead of the slower 910GML. But it causes some slight graphical problems.

The best BIOS combo is to first flash to the 0511 set the machine to run at 900mhz (Max Performance) then flash to the 0703 BIOS then use eeectl to control the FSB from windows. The reason to this process is the 0511 has a ACPI glitch that causes temp monitoring to fail and the fan to start running at 100% when it happens. The 703 corrects this but lacks the 900mhz setting but if you use 0511 set to 900mhz the 0703 will continue to run at this setting.

I didnt see on either. I hope its not external. I think Ill just stick with the Eee. It seems theres a larger fanbase as well. (even though the Everex isnt out yet)

I didnt see on either. I hope its not external. I think Ill just stick with the Eee. It seems theres a larger fanbase as well. (even though the Everex isnt out yet)

I would go more because it will have better performance than lean towards battery life.

The Eee PC is a very specialized PC. If you think you have a use for it, then by all means go for it! It is a great little laptop and I will for sure make its moneys worth!

ps2cho:

I was wondering which SDHC card did you get and where?

Also was wondering what type of RAM does this thing take? 200 pin SO-DIMM?
Are there any RAM that may be uncompatible with it?

ps2cho:

I was wondering which SDHC card did you get and where?

Also was wondering what type of RAM does this thing take? 200 pin SO-DIMM?
Are there any RAM that may be uncompatible with it?

I am unaware of any RAM that was not supported. It uses SODIMM DDR2. One slot, so if you want 2GB, you need to get a 2GB stick.

I have the Patriot 8GB Class 6 SDHC.

with the technology of now, why is the hard drive so small? it seems like atleast 8gb or more could fit in there. I don't get it.

with the technology of now, why is the hard drive so small? it seems like atleast 8gb or more could fit in there. I don't get it.

Its a solid state drive. This technology is actually brand new and VERY expensive. a 64GB SSD costs IIRC ~$800 !
The SSD is in short a full size flash drive. It is very fast and uses low power. Less chance of breaking because no moving parts like a regular HDD.

What types of programs come with it by default? Sufficient programs for a college-entering student? I would just need it for class, I would do the serious stuff at home.

What types of programs come with it by default? Sufficient programs for a college-entering student? I would just need it for class, I would do the serious stuff at home.

I assume you mean the stock linux. Yes it comes with a ton of stuff. Firefox, Openoffice, Dictionary....everything you need.

I got my Eee on friday. Its way awesome. Imstill getting used to the keyboard though. I think im probally gunna end up wearing out my backspace button. I do want to load windows on here, I like the OS, but Im used to windows, plus not being able to use my networked drives isnt all that great either. I just neeed to find a way to install windows without a cd drive.

Back