• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Q] Raid storage and other queries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueren

Hello all,

I'm new here :)

Not too long ago, I build my PC from scratch. Below is the config that I have relevant to the queries I'd like to ask.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H

Storage:

1. Samsung SSD (OS)
  2. WD Green 640GB SATA
  3. Seagate 160GB IDE (salvaged from the old PC)

I've been using this set up for a good 6 months now. However, I've noticed that the boot takes a good 30 ~ 40 seconds. I'm having a feeling that I've not set up the SATA correctly and therefore somehow hampering the full potential.

PIC 1 : The first cable (SATA 3) Is of my SSD, second is of The SATA Drive

IMG_20150706_191138.jpg
PIC 2: 1st row SATA is for eSATA on the case. Not used. 2nd row SATA points to the IDE to sata converter that I'm using to run my Old IDE HDD. I plan to decommission this drive anyway.

IMG_20150706_191206.jpg

Can someone help me figure out if it's actually OK? Does it require more data for analysis?

===============================================================================

SECOND QUERY

I have a ton of photos that are precious to me and am looking to invest in a humble RAID 1 (Optional hot-spare) setup. I do not wish to sell a kidney for having this set up though, and I'd like to know how to actually get it done.
From what I understand, WD Red drives are specifically build for RAIID / NAS storages. Would this suffice? The raid setup will be strictly only for backing up my pictures. Nothing else.

Assuming that I have only my SSD(OS) attached to my PC, how do I go about configuring this raid setup?

I'm hoping I've provided enough info. Please let me know if I need to provide more details.

Thanks in advance!

:welcome: to the forums!

Just to answer your second query (or to make a correction) --RAID is not a backup. It is redundancy in case a drive fails, but if that computer gets shocked, stolen, etc they are just as gone with two drives as one. The same way if you accidentally delete a picture it will delete from the secondary drive (mirrored) thus, this isn't a backup. If you wanted to have a backup, having the files copied over to two drives that are in RAID1 and then making incremental backups to an external drive or cloud storage solution would likely be a better choice.

I know it sounds like semantics, but it is a very common misuse of the word.

To further address the idea of the second topic, assuming your motherboard has a software RAID controller you could utilize that to setup the two drives in a RAID1 configuration via enabling RAID in the BIOS and setting it up. Note however, that this is not the same as a hardware RAID and has many limitations compared to using a proper software RAID (like ZFS on a separate box) or a hardware RAID card (which can be expensive). But it could provide the basic functionality that you are looking for if you also make backups from that RAID volume.
----------------------
Out of order, but regarding bootup time, are you saying it takes approximately 30 seconds from cold boot (power button) to active use of the desktop? Overall that is not too bad especially considering BIOS POST screen can take a few seconds, etc. I would make sure the SATA controller is setup for AHCI (if it is set to IDE/legacy some registry changes will need to be made prior to changing and a driver will likely need to be installed). If you unplug the two secondary drives does the system boot up much faster?

:welcome: to the forums!

Just to answer your second query (or to make a correction) --RAID is not a backup. It is redundancy in case a drive fails, but if that computer gets shocked, stolen, etc they are just as gone with two drives as one. The same way if you accidentally delete a picture it will delete from the secondary drive (mirrored) thus, this isn't a backup. If you wanted to have a backup, having the files copied over to two drives that are in RAID1 and then making incremental backups to an external drive or cloud storage solution would likely be a better choice.

I know it sounds like semantics, but it is a very common misuse of the word.

To further address the idea of the second topic, assuming your motherboard has a software RAID controller you could utilize that to setup the two drives in a RAID1 configuration via enabling RAID in the BIOS and setting it up. Note however, that this is not the same as a hardware RAID and has many limitations compared to using a proper software RAID (like ZFS on a separate box) or a hardware RAID card (which can be expensive). But it could provide the basic functionality that you are looking for if you also make backups from that RAID volume.

Thanks for this insight! I do own an external HDD which can be used for backup whilst the RAID mirror provide redundancy. I was looking for the RAID mirror because all my data right now is on one single drive. Although the drive is perfectly healthy, it's quite risky and I'd like to address the drive failure aspect. Certain important pictures are backed up in the cloud, although I do not wish to trust the cloud as much as I do the local storage (just the third party paranoia)

Out of order, but regarding bootup time, are you saying it takes approximately 30 seconds from cold boot (power button) to active use of the desktop? Overall that is not too bad especially considering BIOS POST screen can take a few seconds, etc. I would make sure the SATA controller is setup for AHCI (if it is set to IDE/legacy some registry changes will need to be made prior to changing and a driver will likely need to be installed). If you unplug the two secondary drives does the system boot up much faster?

The post takes a good ~5+ seconds which is rather annoying, I've tried the ultra boot etc etc that come as options with the motherboard settings, but they've hardly made a difference. Time taken for windows to boot up and the login screen to appear would be some ~25 to ~30 seconds. As for the system to be ready to use (post the login screen) it's almost instantaneous. I don't have many things running. All in all, from what you're saying, I'm all ok, right?

As for the SATA controller, it's in AHCI. I also have an option to set it to RAID. I do not wish to do that now as I'm unaware of the consequence. From the RAID setup point of view, do I just stick 2 identical drives into whatever available SATA ports and then config the SATA controller as RAID?

I would need to disconnect the other 2 drives to see if there is any improvement. I'll mostly try that out one of these days and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the inputs!

Great about the external, that would be a good use for it :)

Some motherboards have a POST timeout option (my ASrock can be set as low as 1 second, but that comes with the caveat of having to hit POST shortcuts very quickly). There's also possibly options to change how many USB devices startup/are checked at POST as well. Overall 5 seconds isn't too bad though. And 25-30 seconds from boot to login isn't too bad either.

You will have to check your motherboard manual as to which ports are assigned to a RAID controller and what that controller supports. I generally prefer to use the Intel controller instead of Marvell/ASMedia as it is just a better solution (and faster). Do note: that if you change to RAID it still replicates as AHCI but it may cause an issue with your OS which you may need to install drivers or worst case reinstall your OS so that the pre-boot RAID drivers are installed during Windows setup. (It may be possible to install those drivers in a windows repair situation, I haven't had to do it for so long I can't remember, my apologies). It's also worth noting that the RAID POST screen is separate and will add a handful of seconds to your boot time, no real way around it. But essentially you will plugin both drives. Set your BIOS to RAID on the SATA controller, and reboot. You will see a new screen that will say 'press ctrl+I [generally] to configure RAID' hit that shortcut, assign the two drives to the RAID and the type (mirrored), and boot up. You will likely need to initialize the RAID volume inside disk management in Windows and format the drives before they are usable.

My guess for the additional slowness may be the IDE->SATA adapter drive as it may be waiting for it all to initialize and that could add a bit of time.

Great about the external, that would be a good use for it :)

Some motherboards have a POST timeout option (my ASrock can be set as low as 1 second, but that comes with the caveat of having to hit POST shortcuts very quickly). There's also possibly options to change how many USB devices startup/are checked at POST as well. Overall 5 seconds isn't too bad though. And 25-30 seconds from boot to login isn't too bad either.

You will have to check your motherboard manual as to which ports are assigned to a RAID controller and what that controller supports. I generally prefer to use the Intel controller instead of Marvell/ASMedia as it is just a better solution (and faster). Do note: that if you change to RAID it still replicates as AHCI but it may cause an issue with your OS which you may need to install drivers or worst case reinstall your OS so that the pre-boot RAID drivers are installed during Windows setup. (It may be possible to install those drivers in a windows repair situation, I haven't had to do it for so long I can't remember, my apologies). It's also worth noting that the RAID POST screen is separate and will add a handful of seconds to your boot time, no real way around it. But essentially you will plugin both drives. Set your BIOS to RAID on the SATA controller, and reboot. You will see a new screen that will say 'press ctrl+I [generally] to configure RAID' hit that shortcut, assign the two drives to the RAID and the type (mirrored), and boot up. You will likely need to initialize the RAID volume inside disk management in Windows and format the drives before they are usable.

My guess for the additional slowness may be the IDE->SATA adapter drive as it may be waiting for it all to initialize and that could add a bit of time.

I really appriciate the help! Let me find a good deal on the hard disks and try this out. I'll get back here if in case I have any issues. Regarding the boot up, I suppose I can live with that. It's not like I have any mission critical things running which can't wait a few more seconds :)

As for the IDE, i'm going it remove it all together.

Thanks!

I have a ton of photos that are precious to me and am looking to invest in a humble RAID 1 (Optional hot-spare) setup. I do not wish to sell a kidney for having this set up though, and I'd like to know how to actually get it done.
From what I understand, WD Red drives are specifically build for RAIID / NAS storages. Would this suffice? The raid setup will be strictly only for backing up my pictures. Nothing else.

Software RAID isn't going to give you a hotspare option.

Back